LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox and the ReFS file system (Windows 11 Pro for Workstation)

ReiKatari

Good afternoon!
There is a problem with LaunchBox running on Windows 11 Pro for Workstation with the ReFS file system (NTFS replacement). Once installed, LaunchBox launches smoothly and works. But after I close it, all files disappear from the Data folder and LaunchBox no longer launches.
When you try to save files and upload them to the Data folder, this does not help. When running as Administrator, the same effect.

Edited by ReiKatari

Pretty sure WIn 11 does not fully support ReFS yet, it will be the replacement to NTFS eventually, and iirc you need to use vivetool to get win 11 on a refs drive, i could be wrong now ofc as things have moved on since i checked it out in late Jan. So not surprising when issues arrise, i didn't test LB when i looked at it, but i do know i had a problem with symbolic links on it.

• Game On 1

To clarify: Windows 11 itself is installed on M.2 with the NTFS file system. There are also 2 HDDs on which the ReFS file system. LaunchBox is installed on one of these drives.
In general, there is no major tragedy, because I can always transfer LaunchBox to the system drive with NTFS, however, perhaps the developers will be interested in studying this problem?

• ReiKatari changed the title to LaunchBox and the ReFS file system (Windows 11 Pro for Workstation)

Never even heard of this file system before. Our app isn't written with pretty high level code and any file operations would be handle by .NET or the OS so we wouldn't have a TON of ability to manipulate it into working. Quick Google searching suggests that MadK9 is right though in that the file system isn't even fully supported yet by Microsoft and is still being onboarded to all operating systems, so it's very possible that there are still issues trying to use it even outside of our app. It'll be a good thing to keep on our radar but at the moment there isn't anything real actionable for us to pursue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Never even heard of this file system before. Our app isn't written with pretty high level code and any file operations would be handle by .NET or the OS so we wouldn't have a TON of ability to manipulate it into working. Quick Google searching suggests that MadK9 is right though in that the file system isn't even fully supported yet by Microsoft and is still being onboarded to all operating systems, so it's very possible that there are still issues trying to use it even outside of our app. It'll be a good thing to keep on our radar but at the moment there isn't anything real actionable for us to pursue.

Thank you for your answers! 

ReFS is potentially more stable, supports more characters in names, etc. 
In fact, great for servers and disks with a bunch of files (as in my case), because I have an 8 Tb and 12 Tb HDD and often drive small files between them.

In any case, the development of you and many new users of the wonderful program!

11 minutes ago, ReiKatari said:

Thank you for your answers! 

ReFS is potentially more stable, supports more characters in names, etc. 
In fact, great for servers and disks with a bunch of files (as in my case), because I have an 8 Tb and 12 Tb HDD and often drive small files between them.

In any case, the development of you and many new users of the wonderful program!

Yeah, the tech sounds interesting. Thankfully we shouldn't really have to DO anything to support it once Windows fully integrates it. Unfortunately we also can't really do anything to capitalize on it more until it's built in and working into the OS and .NET runtimes.

ReFS first came out with Server 2012.  So its been around awhile.   I use it (at work) with Hyper-V / Azure Stack HCI clusters.   Never had any problems with it 'losing' files.   I doubt it has anything to do with the Launchbox problems mentioned here, but its possible.   I'd check overly ambitious anti-virus / anti-malware software first. 

There is noise about Microsoft making it the default file system in Windows 11 at some point, but for now NTFS is still the standard.  

If it was my system, I'd switch back to NTFS for home / emulation use for now.

• Like 1