LaunchBox Community Forums

scrip to turn off com ports?

d8thstar

hi all.  TeknoParrot has a few games that will not start if the serial com ports are active.  These are the ports that the sinden guns use.  so, wondering if anyone would know how to write an AHK script to turn off the com ports when launching one of those games, and then restarting those com parts when you quit the game.

if you say "serial port" you are referring to a connector type that was common decades ago and is basically unheard of on a modern PC. for ex

Serial port - Wikipedia

maybe a picture of your device manager window would help understand what you're trying to say?

maybe share what the game(s) name(s) are experiencing this problem?

but I'll also leave you with I bet you got something else going on. having a USB device plugged in or not should have zero impact on a game booting. I have very few TP games but never once needed to disable or uplug anything.

there is also hardware that does what you want. I make use of these things for a similar reason. I can leave devices plugged in, but can change which ones are actually connected to the PC with a press of a button

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=asc_df_B00JX1ZS5O/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15294094042578417920&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005140&hvtargid=pla-348690807089&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58425267301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15294094042578417920&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005140&hvtargid=pla-348690807089

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, d8thstar said:

hi all.  TeknoParrot has a few games that will not start if the serial com ports are active.  These are the ports that the sinden guns use.  so, wondering if anyone would know how to write an AHK script to turn off the com ports when launching one of those games, and then restarting those com parts when you quit the game.

Hey I found this thread and had this exact issue with all adrenaline amusement games. (spider-man, rampage, rabbids, tomb raider, etc) 
These are known to lockup when COM ports are in use (Not Serial). I confirmed this by unplugging my Sinden guns (COM 2 and 3) and the games launched fine. 
When plugging them back in they would not start. I was looking to disable COM ports but wanted to find a better solution. 
Just posting this in case anyone having issues with adrenaline amusement games, maybe this can be linked to a more suitable thread rather than 'disabling com ports'

I fixed the issue simply be re-assigning the com ports up high to 20 and 21.

Device manager - Ports - Choose port - Properties - Port settings - Advanced - Choose COM port number
image.thumb.png.d217ad6866fbd79a025e844c37f242d8.png

All seems to be working now even with guns plugged in...