LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Marquee and MAME dual Screen

5thWolf

Does anyone know if it is possible to have marquees through BigBox and set MAME to utilize dual monitor for games like PlayChoice 10 games or punchout games that have a second screen but only those games requiring them?

If I set up dual monitor in MAME it completely overrides the Marquee and all the non dual screen games are just mirrored. Maybe there is a way to tell MAME to be single monitor except for specific games? Maybe even using commands through LB?

1 hour ago, 5thWolf said:

I set up dual monitor in MAME

However you set this up (in MAME or by manually editing mame.ini), when done and saved, make a copy of mame.ini and rename the copy to playch10.ini.  Then revert MAME back to a single monitor and save (mame.ini).

playch10 is the name of the source file for PlayChoice-10 (playch10.cpp)

If all goes well, when you play a PlayChoice-10 game, you should have the dual monitor setup as it will (should?) read playch10.ini via the order of precedence.  And every other game (non PlayChoice-10) should display normally (single monitor) reading just mame.ini.

To do this on a game-by-game basis, you can copy playch10.ini and name the copy the same name as the games ROM filename.  (punchout.ini)

punchout is probably not the best example as punchout is the name of a game ROM file AND a source file. But you get the idea. ;) 

• Thanks 1

OK so after shutting down the PC and coming back, now I have one issue. This only happens with the games doing the dual monitor in MAME.
So after launching a game through BB the main screen works for a few seconds then loses focus and is black screen. I have to use alt-tab to point to the main screen again to play.
Maybe simple setting change to prevent this?

1 hour ago, 5thWolf said:

after launching a game through BB the main screen works for a few seconds then loses focus and is black screen.

Try turning off LaunchBox's Game Startup Screen.  Then when that fixes it, you can either keep it off for your MAME emulator, or override the Startup Screens for just the Arcade games that use dual screens.

• Thanks 1

Yes that did fix it!

However I did discover a fix to keep the startup screen and MAME dual screen!!
In LB in "Edit Emulator" for MAME, have the checkbox checked on for "Hide All Windows that are not in Exclusive Mode".

image.thumb.png.68932a7d79353449820e6f2ee1e9f0e7.png

Edited by 5thWolf
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1