LaunchBox Community Forums

Mini Consoles Theme - RetroSai Nostalgia - Form over Function

Saieno

1 minute ago, Saieno said:

Ah okay, I'm not too familiar with the ASUS Ally and how it displays things but I usually use the theme at 1920x1080. I've not seen any issues at 1280x720 either but this is on a PC and not a handheld so I'm not sure.

No worries. Thank you for the troubleshooting and keep up the amazing work! This is one of my favorite themes!!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, walter10h said:

Any chance you can provide the source to this theme? I'd like to add a screen for ZX Spectrum, but doing it by hand using notepad++ is a real pain. I believe you're using the community theme creator? 

Hello @walter10h ! Happy holidays and Merry Christmas if you celebrate it! Love the Prinny avatar by the way! Currently I don't have any intention of providing the source for the theme and any new features are voted on by my patrons on Patreon. Also, while Community Theme Creator is a great tool, it doesn't have all the features I need when developing aspects of this theme. Because of that, the theme does not open in its entirety within the Community Theme Creator. Also, currently development on the theme is on hold until January 8th for the holidays, but I'll be putting up the new features poll then on my Patreon for my supporters to vote on and will put the ZX Spectrum on there as well.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what an amazing theme, great work. I have a small problem, the UI feels slow  to me when scrolling through games. I hope this is not taken as negative criticism, I'm super impressed with it and hoping to speed the transition up a little. The amount of work that must have gone into this is INSANE! It seems to be most apparent on Arcade and SNES but is most platforms and least apparent on 3DO.

I have an ASUS RoG Strix - Ryzen 7 5800H + RTX 3070. Is there some transition settings modified or maybe just because it is a huge theme?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mat091084 said:

Wow, what an amazing theme, great work. I have a small problem, the UI feels slow  to me when scrolling through games. I hope this is not taken as negative criticism, I'm super impressed with it and hoping to speed the transition up a little. The amount of work that must have gone into this is INSANE! It seems to be most apparent on Arcade and SNES but is most platforms and least apparent on 3DO.

I have an ASUS RoG Strix - Ryzen 7 5800H + RTX 3070. Is there some transition settings modified or maybe just because it is a huge theme?

Hello @mat091084 !

Thanks for the kind words! In regards to the performance issues; that will generally be seen with platforms that have thousands and thousands of games. You can help by populating the caches manually from within the BigBox menu, generally Force Populating images/Wheel, and that should help with the performance. I've tried to optimize things as much as possible and once the caches are in place it should be better. Not perfect of course, but better.

11 minutes ago, PABastien said:

I was wondering if there were any plans to create a grid view for various systems?

Heya @PABastien, can you show an example of what you mean by grid view for various systems? Just curious to see what you have in mind. Thanks!

On 1/12/2024 at 11:30 PM, Saieno said:

Heya @PABastien, can you show an example of what you mean by grid view for various systems? Just curious to see what you have in mind. Thanks!

I think they call it wall views in big box. It's not that I want like something bespoke for every console, but when you have like hundreds and hundreds of games per console. Sometimes the wall view helps with quick navigation

LaunchBoxBigBox2024-01-159_17_23AM.thumb.png.01a8ac728d41fd65174035adc7573c88.png

LaunchBoxBigBox2024-01-159_14_50AM.thumb.png.80edea1c5b12a1e323b083612fd728f4.png

LaunchBoxBigBox2024-01-159_16_45AM.thumb.png.575715f136719568d3f1dd91c943c922.png

Edited by PABastien
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:22 AM, PABastien said:

I think they call it wall views in big box. It's not that I want like something bespoke for every console, but when you have like hundreds and hundreds of games per console. Sometimes the wall view helps with quick navigation

Thanks for the examples! At the moment I didn't have any intentions to implement a generic wall view, the main focus of the theme being on each platforms unique presentation; however there is the Fullscreen Coverflow view you can switch to which does display more games at a time (about 9 I believe) which can help with displaying more games for you. There's also the search feature where the results also use the Fullscreen Coverflow view so that might help as well. Might be something to add to the patreon poll in the future! Thanks!

Small update release to fix a few issues:

v2.1.3

• Resolved issue with missing fonts.
  • Adjusted PS3 game background to fill if undersized.
  • Cleaned up Xbox 360 blades to make a cleaner transition when browsing games.
  • Adjusted font color for NeoGeo CD to be more legible in the game details screen.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:32 AM, mat091084 said:

I have a small problem, the UI feels slow  to me when scrolling through games.

Just wanted to follow up on this as well. Did the caching help? I also tried to apply some optimizations to the latest release, v2.1.3, so let me know if it feels snappier for you.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:52 PM, Saieno said:

Just wanted to follow up on this as well. Did the caching help? I also tried to apply some optimizations to the latest release, v2.1.3, so let me know if it feels snappier for you.

The caching helps somewhat. I have updated and honestly didn't see much difference but that may be because I'm being super picky. I have noticed that even though I have more PSX and PS2 games (for example) than SNES games, SNES seems to be very slow compared to others. My guess is that there is additional and dynamic assets loading when I compare the box frames.

To be clear it's still highly usable in the main, just a little frustrating scrolling through SNES games with my finger pulling the analogue stick to the right and the screen feeling like it can't keep up.

59 minutes ago, mat091084 said:

The caching helps somewhat. I have updated and honestly didn't see much difference but that may be because I'm being super picky. I have noticed that even though I have more PSX and PS2 games (for example) than SNES games, SNES seems to be very slow compared to others. My guess is that there is additional and dynamic assets loading when I compare the box frames.

To be clear it's still highly usable in the main, just a little frustrating scrolling through SNES games with my finger pulling the analogue stick to the right and the screen feeling like it can't keep up.

Ah that's a little frustrating to hear that its not performing well for you. It's strange cause the GBA view uses the same exact code and also the same exact wheel template, and I have no issues with that one but for whatever reason (and I do have a lot of games in SNES) SNES does have issues with performance. Perhaps box art image resolution or some other factor I haven't considered? Not sure, but apologies, and hopefully its at least usable in some capacity. You can also use the page function with the bumpers to go through faster, or push up on the joystick to get to the letter navigation and scrub that way a bit faster as well.

32 minutes ago, Saieno said:

Ah that's a little frustrating to hear that its not performing well for you. It's strange cause the GBA view uses the same exact code and also the same exact wheel template, and I have no issues with that one but for whatever reason (and I do have a lot of games in SNES) SNES does have issues with performance. Perhaps box art image resolution or some other factor I haven't considered? Not sure, but apologies, and hopefully its at least usable in some capacity. You can also use the page function with the bumpers to go through faster, or push up on the joystick to get to the letter navigation and scrub that way a bit faster as well.

Oh, we're talking minor frustrations here. Thanks for the suggestions. It's an amazing theme.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New release.

v2.1.4

• Added long requested alternate views (Horizontal Wheel 2) for Nintendo Switch and Sega Saturn with Long Box Art.

LongBoxSwitch.thumb.jpg.bda462b3e280b0ad55d602d4bbecfe07.jpg

Sega Saturn is region based and intended for just the Box Art images and not Box Art that contains images including the case itself.

• North America - Long Plastic Jewel Case
  • Europe - Black Edge Long Cardboard Box
  • Japan - Small Jewel Case

LongBoxSaturn2.thumb.jpg.01f4d6511ab0d21848d7ead088577115.jpgLongBoxSaturn1.thumb.jpg.d54926013e5286a6cd89796cb0780910.jpg

• Updated 'Not Supported Views' to account for the additional Horizontal Wheel 2 views for Nintendo Switch and Sega Saturn.
  • Cleaned up Xbox 360 blades Game Title length and position to prevent text overlap with the blades when browsing games.
Edited by Saieno

Hey, I have just downloaded your themes and something goes wrong with Nintendo Wii theme, it’s won’t show up supported themes while I was pressing V button, but actually it didn’t work on any Game list view, I’ve tried maybe all of them( please help 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Pupik

2 minutes ago, Pupik said:

Hey, I have just downloaded your themes and something goes wrong with Nintendo Wii theme, it’s won’t show up supported themes while I was pressing V button, but actually it didn’t work on any Game list view, I’ve tried maybe all of them( please help 

Hello @Pupik Does Nintendo Wii show up in LaunchBox? Can you provide a screenshot of the platform in LaunchBox and how it is named? I’m having trouble understanding where you’re having the issue.

Nintendo Wii would be set to Wall View

14 minutes ago, Saieno said:

Hello @Pupik Does Nintendo Wii show up in LaunchBox? Can you provide a screenshot of the platform in LaunchBox and how it is named? I’m having trouble understanding where you’re having the issue.

Nintendo Wii would be set to Wall View

Hey, maybe something wrong with theme files or fonts, I will try to download it again. In fullscreen coverflow Nintendo switch mode everything is working 

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6766.jpeg

@Pupik Can you show the theme folder directory path? It should look something like LaunchBox/Themes/Mini Console Theme/ and should not have another /Mini Console Theme/ folder within it. You should see Fonts, Images, Media, Plugins, Sounds, Videos, Views, etc.

Just now, Pupik said:

Hey, maybe something wrong with theme files or fonts, I will try to download it again. In fullscreen coverflow Nintendo switch mode everything is working 

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6766.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Saieno said:

@Pupik Can you show the theme folder directory path? It should look something like LaunchBox/Themes/Mini Console Theme/ and should not have another /Mini Console Theme/ folder within it. You should see Fonts, Images, Media, Plugins, Sounds, Videos, Views, etc.

image.jpg