LaunchBox Community Forums

Mini Consoles Theme - RetroSai Nostalgia - Form over Function

Saieno

On 9/2/2023 at 10:53 PM, Scotoma said:

Hey im also having this issue. Just installed this theme and everything is amazing, but im having issues with the same consoles showing the default view of big box for the game list when I select them.

The theme first opens to “Vertical wheel2” (which i like the best)

I tried switching them to “Vertical Wheel 1” Which fixed PS3, PSP, but not WII and WII U. I also tries switching to “wall view 1” and that fixed WII, WII U, but not PS3 and PSP. 

Just to confirm, have you go through the setup suggestions within the file description?

• Startup View: Platforms
  • Games List View: Horizontal Wheel 1
  • Platforms List View: Platform Wheel 1
  • View Consistency: Ensure separate views are maintained for each platform.

Please refrain from bypassing the game details screen, as bespoke game details screens have been designed in alignment with the native console/platform system menus where pertinent.

Critical Information: Within each custom platform, the Game Details View Menu is subtly concealed, simulating the initiation of a game. To reveal this concealed menu, one must navigate either up or down whilst in the Game Detail View.

Specific View Instructions:

The primary view for most platforms aligns with the Horizontal Wheel 1 view. However, specific cases are outlined as:

• Systems devoid of a custom view should adopt the CoverflowGamesView.
  • For the Playstation 2 Demo Disk View, resort to the HorizontalWheel2GamesVIew.
  • Platforms like the Microsoft Xbox One, Nintendo Wii, WiiU, and Playstation Vita are best represented by the WallGamesView.
  • For the Microsoft Xbox Demo Disk, Playstation 3, and Playstation Portable, the WheelGamesView is recommended.
  • To ensure the Sega Master System/Sega Mark III Card Games are displayed appropriately, annotate "Card Media." at the conclusion of the Metadata Notes section for each game.

Just a quick work in progress update! Many have asked for Intellivision and a Windows/PC Games/Steam Platform view and here's the progress on those! Let me know what ya think and if you have any feedback I'll do my best to accommodate. The Intellivision platform view updates the controller overlays for each game if they are available as well! And I will say that right now I'm currently held up on the Windows Platform view due to how metadata is handled and I'm doing my best to work around that, but once thats figured out it'll be in the next release.

Windows/PC Games/Steam Platform View
SteamPlatformView.thumb.png.3db0ea732b260c9f7362bcbb995ad3d2.png

Windows/PC Games/Steam Game Details View
SteamGameDetails.thumb.png.b991620ed753b522c5b039d575d522ac.png

Intellivision
IntellivisionPlatformView.thumb.png.1a75c6dfac618b013b2771c1f1b36f19.png

Intellivision Game Details View
IntellivisionGameDetails.thumb.png.26cdace2db644f8695335e3c00987689.png

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, Tmills said:

Hey thanks for creating this wonderful theme! Is it possible to have platform videos fade in while on a console selection? Is there a setting i can change for this? any advice appreciated. Other than that, this theme is perfect!! keep up the great work.

Hello @Tmills! You can mix and match themes if needed to get the look you're wanting. So you can set a different them for the Platforms View and have this theme as the Games Live views. Hope this helps!

Quick Work In Progress Update! The footage is from a older Work in Progress build so please disregard any weirdness or oddities, a lot of work has been done to the Windows/Steam and Arcade themes specifically, but the finished release is currently under early access testing and should be released by the end of the week!

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

This theme is getting better and better! Beautiful work Saieno. 

The arcade platform presentation is amazing. I love it and for sure will be my goto theme. 

Food for thought:

What do you think about making the arcade machines a little bit bigger so they are closer to each other and the marquee (if can be used there instead of the clear logo) can be seen more? 

Would it make sense to add the title of the selected arcade game anywhere in the screen, or would that break the ilusion? Thinking about this because with small videos and sometimes weird clear logos you might not know what game is it. 

The Intellivision cart/console are not centered in the screen (you can see this as they are not alligned with the selected box). 

Keep rocking! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kondorito said:

This theme is getting better and better! Beautiful work Saieno. 

The arcade platform presentation is amazing. I love it and for sure will be my goto theme.

Fantastic to hear! I hope everyone enjoys it once its released!

5 hours ago, Kondorito said:

What do you think about making the arcade machines a little bit bigger so they are closer to each other and the marquee (if can be used there instead of the clear logo) can be seen more? 

Would it make sense to add the title of the selected arcade game anywhere in the screen, or would that break the ilusion? Thinking about this because with small videos and sometimes weird clear logos you might not know what game is it.

Ah right! While this isn't shown in the video since its from an older build, this has been solved for in the final release. I did experiment with a number of different sizes for the arcade cabinet, but settled on this size for the (in my opinion) perfect balance of ambiance and usability. It also allows for the game details screen to standout as well since it somewhat acts as if you're walking up to a machine for a closer look. Here's an example!

image.thumb.png.29f36b6b911a5f56d1a8af5ccb4ca396.pngimage.thumb.png.0f6d2bbc7ae954e008b140c43635ee47.png

6 hours ago, Kondorito said:

The Intellivision cart/console are not centered in the screen (you can see this as they are not alligned with the selected box).

I did double check and can verify that the cart is completely centered in the upcoming release.

image.thumb.png.cd8822f60834de19ed37cb8c88609d0c.png

Thanks for the great feedback as always @Kondorito !

• Unusual Gem 1

I'm excited to introduce the latest update of the "Mini Consoles Theme" for Launchbox BigBox. This version brings several new features that will elevate your game collection presentation to new heights!

Overview Trailer

New Features

1. Arcade/MAME View:

Imagine walking into a dimly lit room, only to be greeted by the vibrant glow of neon lights, screens reflecting off sleek surfaces and rows of brightly colored cabinets. The energizing cacophony of game sounds, chiptunes, and playful challenges fills the air, beckoning players to try their hand at conquering pixelated realms. This was the magic of a 90s arcade – a sanctuary for gamers, where stories were not just told but lived, one coin at a time.

Arcade-MAME-Library.thumb.png.b3fb719b192624141f9c8cadbfb9d3ea.pngArcade-MAME-GameDetailsScreen.thumb.png.f53d991678b3575deee6aa67bd0b9c24.pngArcade-MAME-GameDetailsMenu.thumb.png.e2b471b0c037d9c3430e5e95f08d7c1f.png

Diverse Cabinet Showcase: Just as arcades offered a smorgasbord of games, this view boasts over 48 unique arcade cabinets, each presenting a doorway into the past.
Variants Included: The 90s arcade was never just about the joystick and buttons. Racing wheel games that simulated high-speed chases and light gun cabinets that brought first-person shooter scenarios to life were all the rage. This view recreates these specialties, ensuring that every gamer finds their niche.
Atmospheric Navigation: It's not just about the games; it's about the experience. As you navigate from one cabinet to another, the shifting atmosphere and audio ambiance transport you back in time, simulating the sensation of wandering through an arcade, deciding where to drop your next coin.
Detailed Reflections: Attention to detail is key. The glow of the game screen softly reflecting off the control panels, especially in the game details screen, doesn't just add to the visuals—it revives memories of intense focus and fingers dancing over buttons in rhythmic gameplay.
Arcade BIOS Game Details Menu: To round off this authentic trip down memory lane, the game details menu mirrors the look and feel of an Arcade BIOS. It's not just about playing; it's about immersing oneself in the entire arcade ethos.

Notes: "Screenshots", "Marquees", "Clear Logos", and "Videos" are utilized for the view. The cabinet style is designated by the game "Publisher" metadata. Racing cabinets are designated by the "Racing" and "Driving / ..." variant genres and Lightgun cabinets are designated by the "Shooter / Gun" genre.

If you wish to manually change the cabinet to fit a specific aesthetic for a game, here are the supported publishers you can update the metadata for the specific game to:

"Arika"
   "Atari Corporation"
   "Atari Games"
   "Atari"
   "Bally Midway"
   "Capcom Co., Ltd."
   "Capcom"
   "Cave (AMI license)"
   "Cave (Atlus license)"
   "Cave (Capcom license)"
   "Cave (Nihon System license)"
   "Cave"
   "Data East Corporation"
   "Data East"
   "Irem Corp."
   "Irem"
   "Konami Industry Co. Ltd."
   "Konami"
   "Midway Games"
   "Midway"
   "Namco"
   "Nintendo R&D3"
   "Nintendo"
   "SNK Corporation" (This is the red SNK cabinet)
   "SNK" (This is the MVS cabinet)
   "Sega AM1"
   "Sega AM2"
   "Sega AM3 R&D Division"
   "Sega Enterprises Ltd."
   "Sega"
   "Taito America Corporation" (Black Buttons)
   "Taito Corporation Japan" (Red Buttons)
   "Taito Corporation" (Red Buttons)
   "Taito" (Black Buttons)
   "Williams Entertainment"
   "Williams"

2. Steam/PC Games/Windows/Microsoft Windows View:

Especially designed for Windows/PC Games/Steam enthusiasts, this view is inspired by the UI of the Steam Deck. Currently, I'm harnessing the metadata provided by LaunchBox, but hopefully in the future I'll be able to integrate the Steam, GOG, and Epic metadata for a richer experience. Until then, I'm confident you'll love what you see.

Windows-PCGames-Steam-Library.thumb.png.b80f3adc66651b7078c70d968ccadb89.pngWindows-PCGames-Steam-GameDetailsScreen.thumb.png.68f6af228707b01bb39fbad9c7c8a84d.pngWindows-PCGames-Steam-GameDetailsMenu.thumb.png.81188f74bec8ecc6e71494fbefb77be9.png

Steam Deck Inspiration: This view is designed after the Steam Deck version of Steam OS.
Library View: A seamless browsing experience to navigate through your games.
Game Details View: Get all the information you need about a game with a visually appealing presentation.
Overlay Menu: An intuitive overlay menu for the Game Details Menu, so you get all the additional details without any hassle.

Notes: "Box - Front", "Clear Logo", "Screenshots", "Videos" and "Banners" are utilized for this theme. Unfortunately Fan Background and Steam/Epic/GOG metadata is not available for me to use for the theme currently. Screenshots are utilized first, then Banners as a fall back.

3. Mattel Intellivision View:

This view brings the nostalgia right to your fingertips. Every time you select a game, the Controller Overlay will change to match that specific game. This is perfect for those who love authenticity. But there's more! This view also includes the iconic "My Intellivision" track from Intellivision Lives! which will hopefully set the mood.

Intellivision-Library.thumb.png.216aefc6238871c4efb843ad5e98cf8a.pngIntellivision-GameDetailsScreen.thumb.png.ad03b70d64b804e38b4c4bff8627f9bc.pngIntellivision-GameDetailsMenu.thumb.png.05f6e1ed86ae2adc4c0c25f1643a6873.png

Classic Console Presentation: Experience the nostalgic Mattel Intellivision console front and center.
Dynamic Controller Overlays: Game-specific controller overlays are showcased, ensuring that the controls displayed are accurate for each game if available.
Accurate Cartridge Port: With the Mattel Intellivision's cartridge port usually on the side of the console, its been placed at the top with accurate cart insertion depth!
"My Intellivision" Theme Song: Fans of Intellivision Lives! will be delighted to hear the "My Intellivision" theme song incorporated into the theme.

Note: The Controller Overlays are handled via the "Arcade - Controls Information" metadata.

4. Dreamcast Region Specific Game Cases:

DreamCastRegionCases.thumb.png.9b444b3295bd0093ac18312e4a06a286.png

Now, your Dreamcast game cases will automatically adjust based on the region you've specified in LaunchBox. Here's a breakdown of the region-specific cases:

• North America White: Set region to North America (This is the default setting)
  • North America Black: Set region to North America Alt
  • European: Set region to Europe
  • Japan White: Set region to Japan
  • Japan Black: Set region to Japan Alt

Note: Changing regions for games is best handled via LaunchBox by selecting all games you'd like to change to a specific region, then mass editing the Region field and updating them.

5. Supported Views:

SupportedViewsScreen.thumb.png.e432096600e70524d2741fde02cb8dc6.png

To help with the initial configuration of the Theme, if a Platform attempts to utilize a view that is not supported, a customized view displaying supported options will appear. For example, the default view for the theme is Horizontal Wheel 1, however not all platforms utilize this view and a screen displaying the supported views for the specific Platform will be displayed.

Note: Supported Views does not allow for BigBox wide Search. The Platform View Searching works as expected, and so does Game Detail Menu options like Related Games, etc.

Adjustments and Fixes:

1. Playstation 2 Game Details Screen Cleanup:

Improved the visual presentation and fixed minor glitches to ensure a smoother user experience on the Playstation 2 Game Details Screen.

2. Super Famicom View Update:

Background Color: To make it distinct from the European Super Nintendo and North American Super Nintendo views, the Super Famicom view now has a fresh white background.

3. Alternative Naming Options:

Nintendo Super Famicom: For those familiar with the other name variant, an alternative for "Super Famicom" has been added.
Sony Playstation Portable: Implemented "Sony Playstation Portable" as an alternative naming option to the usual "Sony PSP".
Panasonic 3DO Interactive Multiplayer: Implemented "Panasonic 3DO Interactive Multiplayer" as an alternative naming option to the usual "3DO Interactive Multiplayer" and "Panasonic 3DO".

4. Game Disc Animation Fix for PS1, DC, SegaCD/MegaCD, Xbox 360, GameCube:

In rare instances the disc for the selected game would appear at the top of the screen when going into the Game Details Screen and backing out to the Platform View. This should be resolved.

5. PATREON EXCLUSIVE - Japanese Theme Variation:

For my dedicated Patreon supporters, I've created a special Japanese variation of the theme.
Platform Priority: This exclusive variation prioritizes the naming scheme for the Sega Mega Drive, Sega Mega CD, and Sega Saturn, emphasizing their Japanese identities.
Button Adjustments: In alignment with regional specifications, I've adjusted the Playstation Platforms to switch the O and X buttons to the Japanese standard.

Thank you to my Patrons for being an integral part of this journey. Your feedback and  support push me to constantly improve and provide a stellar experience for all gaming enthusiasts. And thank you to everyone who uses the theme and I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed creating them for you. Happy Gaming!

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

@Saieno Fantastic work and this theme continues to get better with each update! I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I've been trying to turn off the music that plays in the background. It's decent enough to listen to, but gets old very fast😄 I tried the theme specific settings, but that didn't seem to work. Any suggestions or ideas?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

@Saieno Fantastic work and this theme continues to get better with each update! I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I've been trying to turn off the music that plays in the background. It's decent enough to listen to, but gets old very fast😄 I tried the theme specific settings, but that didn't seem to work. Any suggestions or ideas?

You can go into the Media folder, BGM, and delete the music there. Is there a specific song you're trying to remove?

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Saieno said:

You can go into the Media folder, BGM, and delete the music there. Is there a specific song you're trying to remove?

Thanks a lot! Nothing specific, but just wanted to remove the background music in general. Also, I noticed that after removing the music files, the wheel animations are a little bit smoother and faster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot! Nothing specific, but just wanted to remove the background music in general. Also, I noticed that after removing the music files, the wheel animations are a little bit smoother and faster.

The audio shouldn't have that affect, though cache will. You can help by populating the caches manually and that should also help with the performance.

Did a small update, v2.0.1, fixes an issue with Sega CD displaying as Sega Mega CD.

Also, for the BigBox Search, you'll notice the initial view is unsupported, but as it states, switching to CoverFlow Fullscreen will display your results properly and as a bonus the theme changes as you navigate through the games depending on their platform.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to provide you with a quick and important update regarding my health. Unfortunately, I became ill a couple weeks ago, and it seems I will require hospitalization and surgery.

While I was eager to get this sorted out last week, it appears that the earliest available date for the procedure is the 27th. I promise I'm doing everything in my power to get this scheduled as soon as possible, and will be reaching out persistently next week to try to expedite things.

I deeply apologize for any inconveniences this might cause and any interruptions in the content or interactions you’ve come to expect. Your patience, understanding, and unwavering support mean the world to me during this challenging time.

Hope to be back at it soon. Thanks.

• Game On 1