LaunchBox Community Forums

Mini Consoles Theme - RetroSai Nostalgia - Form over Function

Saieno

Mini Consoles Theme - RetroSai Nostalgia - Form over Function

View File

The inception of this project was catalyzed by observing the theme presented by exodus_cl. Inspired, I set out to architect a theme that would not only epitomize the unique ethos, ambience, and distinctiveness of each gaming platform I personally had the experience of using, but also pay reverence to their original design principles. Delving deep, I recreated and sometimes re-imagined themes of official mini consoles. Concurrently, I envisioned and formulated how other platforms, not originally themed by their respective manufacturers, might have been conceived.

A nuanced observation would reveal that each Atari platform, while retaining its distinct character, embodies a similar ambience. This pattern can be observed across platforms like Nintendo and SEGA. For contemporary consoles, my approach gravitated towards capturing the essence of their dashboards, trying to evoke a profound sense of nostalgia. Distinctive views have also been crafted for platforms like PS2 and Xbox, reminiscent of the Demo Disks prevalent during their era.

Theme Features:

1. Aesthetic Integrity: Each console view crafted is a celebration of its unique vibe, endeavoring to pay the highest tribute to its original design.

2. Dashboard Designs: Faithful recreations of existing Mini-Console dashboards are accompanied by imaginative conceptions of those that remain uncharted by official designers.

3. Nostalgic Inclusions: Optional views are available replicating the classic Demo Disks for platforms like PS2 and Xbox.

4. Auditory Experience: Background music encapsulates either iconic tunes from system games or melodies crafted using the genuine hardware.

5. Re-imaginative Themes: Mini console themes, including those for the original Playstation and Sega Genesis, have been re-envisioned to seamlessly blend with the overarching theme.

6. Regional Nuances: Alternate views tailored for specific regions encompass platforms like Famicom, Super Famicom, and the Sega Mega Drive series, to name a few.

7. Universal View: A generic default games view is present, suitable for any console devoid of a custom design.

8. UI Recreation: Emulating the ethos of newer consoles, UIs like the Xbox 360 Blades, PS3 XMB, and the WiiU Gamepad have been faithfully recreated.

Recommended Configuration:

• Startup View: Platforms
  • Games List View: Horizontal Wheel 1
  • Platforms List View: Platform Wheel 1
  • View Consistency: Ensure separate views are maintained for each platform.

Please refrain from bypassing the game details screen, as bespoke game details screens have been designed in alignment with the native console/platform system menus where pertinent.

Critical Information: Within each custom platform, the Game Details View Menu is subtly concealed, simulating the initiation of a game. To reveal this concealed menu, one must navigate either up or down whilst in the Game Detail View.

Specific View Instructions:

The primary view for most platforms aligns with the Horizontal Wheel 1 view. However, specific cases are outlined as:

• Systems devoid of a custom view should adopt the CoverflowGamesView.
  • For the Playstation 2 Demo Disk View, resort to the HorizontalWheel2GamesVIew.
  • Platforms like the Microsoft Xbox One, Nintendo Wii, WiiU, and Playstation Vita are best represented by the WallGamesView.
  • For the Microsoft Xbox Demo Disk, Playstation 3, and Playstation Portable, the WheelGamesView is recommended.
  • To ensure the Sega Master System/Sega Mark III Card Games are displayed appropriately, annotate "Card Media." at the conclusion of the Metadata Notes section for each game.

Navigational Caution: When interacting with the WiiU, restrict your navigation downwards to prevent the game title from overlapping with other games.

Supported Platforms with Distinct Themes: Duplicate listings are for accommodating particular naming conventions.

• 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
  • Arcade
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • Atari Jaguar CD
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • Bandai WonderSwan Color
  • Bandai WonderSwan
  • ColecoVision
  • Commodore 64
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Commodore Amiga
  • MAME
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • Microsoft Windows
  • Microsoft Xbox 360
  • Microsoft Xbox One
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • MS-DOS
  • NEC PC Engine CD
  • NEC PC Engine
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • NEC TurboGrafx-CD
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Super Game Boy
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo VirtualBoy
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Panasonic 3DO
  • Panasonic 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
  • PC Games
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mega CD JP
  • Sega Mega CD
  • Sega Mega Drive 32X
  • Sega Mega Drive JP
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega Saturn JP
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Super 32X
  • Sony PSP
  • Sony Playstation 2
  • Sony Playstation 3
  • Sony Playstation 4
  • Sony Playstation Portable
  • Sony Playstation Vita
  • Sony Playstation
  • Steam
  • Super Famicom/Nintendo Super Famicom
  • Super Game Boy
  • Super Game Boy 2
  • Super Nintendo/Super Nintendo EU
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Windows
  • WonderSwan Color
  • WonderSwan

Regional Specificities: Ensure the naming convention for region-specific views aligns precisely with the following:

• Sega Mark III
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega Mega Drive JP
  • Sega Mega CD
  • Sega Mega CD JP
  • Sega Mega Drive 32X
  • Sega Super 32X
  • Sega Saturn JP
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Super Famicom or Nintendo Super Famicom
  • Super Game Boy
  • Super Game Boy 2
  • Super Nintendo or Super Nintendo EU
  • NEC PC Engine
  • NEC PC Engine CD

Sony PlayStation Regional Specificities: Your PlayStation game cases will automatically adjust based on the region you've specified in LaunchBox

• North America: Set region to North America
  • Japan: Set region to Japan (This is the default setting)
  • PAL: Set region to Europe

DreamCast Regional Specificities: Your Dreamcast game cases will automatically adjust based on the region you've specified in LaunchBox

• North America White: Set region to North America (This is the default setting)
  • North America Black: Set region to North America Alt
  • European: Set region to Europe
  • Japan White: Set region to Japan
  • Japan Black: Set region to Japan Alt

Nintendo Switch Advisory: Every effort has been expended to ensure standard box art is visually appealing. Nonetheless, for an optimized aesthetic, please download the Square Switch Game Library Images and supersede your existing Front - Box Art.

Platform selection
NewPlatformTheme.thumb.png.fb7bb1f6e9b57054f53588021f5b37c9.png

Generic GameList View
GenericGamesView.thumb.png.426c78374295f378008c5ddab962c988.png

Supported Platforms Mini View (This one is Sega Saturn)
SegaSaturn.thumb.png.1b696265c181fef2368ebd8ec3df83ab.png

Region Alternate Platforms Mini View (This one is Sega Saturn JP)
SegaSaturnJP.thumb.png.3f51807c9953ae6f0905de8d42b68ad6.png

Alternate Demo Disk View (This one is Playstation 2)
PS2DemoDisk.thumb.png.acbd5df8f9f9ceeddbbfc87f11214593.png

If you have any issues or questions, please feel free to respond below.

By popular demand I have created a Patreon for those that wish to support the continued theme development.

asset-preview.thumb.png.5cf20406bba8c5666f5eac9b8eb70134.png

Acknowledgments and Credits:

I wish to express my profound gratitude and acknowledgment to the following individuals and entities for their invaluable contributions and inspirations that greatly enriched this project:

1. Files and Design Elements:

• y2guru: For their always impressive and incredibly helpful Community Theme Creator application.
    • faeran: I am grateful for his provision of the Unified CTC files, which were instrumental in shaping the Coverflow view with its accompanying backgrounds.
    • viking: For the base arcade cabinets from the COLORFUL Hardware CAD designs, and for the inspiration from the COLORFUL theme!
  2. Music Contributions:

• VinsCool: For his original piece "Voyager 1" rendered on Atari TIA and recorded using genuine hardware.

• RushJet1: For the evocative track "5-bit Thief," crafted on Atari 2600 TIA.

• BlueElectric05: Contributed the unique "Bytey" track, created on Atari 2600 TIA and classified under originals.

• newcoleco: For "ColecoVision - Original Music 1," which enlivened the project with its nostalgic tones.

3. Patreon Supporters:

• Top Tier Console Creators: Thermalkil and Anonymous!

• Thank you for being an integral part of this journey. Your feedback and  support push me to constantly improve and provide a stellar experience for all gaming enthusiasts. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed creating them for you.

I extend my warmest appreciation to all the contributors for their dedication, talent, and passion that have immensely enriched this endeavor.

Edited by Saieno
Added v2.0.0 features.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just released Version 1.0.6, which should address the Game Details Screen request.

When you're in a Game Details screen on any platform, the Game Details Menu will be hidden. If you push up or down, it'll make the menu appear. Here's an example:

Normal Game Details Screen:

image.thumb.png.57f5e82a005d413fe15db2d59c8ac88e.png

Game Details Screen when pushing Up or Down:

image.thumb.png.bc43ae334950791dcf0a2cabd488ec72.png

The Location of the Game Details Menu will vary based on the specific platforms Game Detail view to make it fit as much as possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PandaOso said:

Themes for Wii, Wiiu, PS3 and PSP are not showing, just a normal game view 

Hi Panda, I have no problem providing assistance on getting this working for you, but because you’re the only one having this issue can you provide more information on what issue you’re having. And what you tried to resolve it?

Have you tried changing the view to Wall View for Wii and WiiU? Or PS3 and PSP to WheelView? There are some configuration suggestions in the original post that might help with the configuration, but I’ll need more details on what the issue is and what was tried to be able to provide help.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, AGVN said:

When I try to load it it turns to default theme instead even though it says it has the theme equipped

image_2023-08-16_205011237.png

BigBox_1wE8WRLOrB.png

Heya @AGVN,

That's a little strange. Everything in your options looks to be correct. Can you double check the theme is installed properly? Do any of the supported platform views work? And when you applied the theme did you have any other themes installed in parallel? Also what version of LaunchBox are you using, and what have you tried troubleshooting wise?

16 minutes ago, Saieno said:

Heya @AGVN,

That's a little strange. Everything in your options looks to be correct. Can you double check the theme is installed properly? Do any of the supported platform views work? And when you applied the theme did you have any other themes installed in parallel? Also what version of LaunchBox are you using, and what have you tried troubleshooting wise?

Is this good? I have 13.6 and I looked at the Mini Console theme files to try and switch to a view that maybe kinda sorta maybe work but none of them did so I had to switch back to the views on the main page (Neither of them really worked they went default regardless)

image_2023-08-16_210722398.png

Edited by AGVN

24 minutes ago, AGVN said:

Is this good? I have 13.6 and I looked at the Mini Console theme files to try and switch to a view that maybe kinda sorta maybe work but none of them did so I had to switch back to the views on the main page (Neither of them really worked they went default regardless)

image_2023-08-16_210722398.png

That seems to look a little strange. The File Folder doesn't appear to be associated with anything, but whats in the actual folder?

15 minutes ago, Saieno said:

That seems to look a little strange. The File Folder doesn't appear to be associated with anything, but whats in the actual folder?

It's a fresh install I didn't mod anything... or were you referring to another theme like Bigflix

16 minutes ago, AGVN said:

It's a fresh install I didn't mod anything... or were you referring to another theme like Bigflix

No worries, whats in the folder for Mini Console Theme? Again, I'm curious why it wouldn't work for you at all, you're the first with the issue.

18 hours ago, AGVN said:

When I try to load it it turns to default theme instead even though it says it has the theme equipped

Just in case this hasn't been checked yet, every time I've run into an issue where the default theme is loaded instead of the selected theme, but there's no error message, this has been because of the way the folder is extracted, which I think @Saieno might be alluding to with their line of questioning. If you go into the "Mini Consoles Theme" folder, you should not be presented with another folder that says "Mini Consoles Theme". Depending on how you extracted the zip file, the extraction may have produced a folder inside a folder. If this is the case, simply cut and paste the contents of the interior "Mini Consoles Theme" folder into the exterior "Mini Consoles Theme" folder, and remove the now-empty interior one.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AGVN said:

explorer_BIfoaGpR1I.png

explorer_H5gCcuGK4V.png

explorer_rOUWAgXNu1.png

Heya @AGVN It looks like the issue that blattacker mentioned. If you go into the "Mini Consoles Theme" folder, you should not be presented with another folder that says "Mini Consoles Theme". Depending on how you extracted the zip file, the extraction may have produced a folder inside a folder. If this is the case, simply cut and paste the contents of the interior "Mini Consoles Theme" folder into the exterior "Mini Consoles Theme" folder, and remove the now-empty interior one.