LaunchBox Community Forums

Path forward guidance

wolfhound89

I have been a LB supporter for a few years.  Unfortunately, I never stuck with it long enough to complete a setup that I liked.  So, after a recent computer upgrade I thought this was the perfect time to stop dragging my feet.  So, here is my question.

I have an 8TB USB that utilizes a different front end.  After moving to my new PC it just does not appear to like Win10.  Which is fine.  Time to go ahead and use LB for all my front end needs.  But, which is the smartest and most efficient way of doing this?

Option 1

Try and remove front end from USB drive and install LB on the drive.  Then I would be able to move to other machines.

Option 2

Keep all the ROMs on the USB drive.  Run LB from my PC and just map the ROM location to the USB drive.

I am aware that there will be a certain level of effort to getting all this up and running again.  I am under no illusion that it will be plug and play and that getting certain cores may take some work (i.e. NEO GEO).

Thank you for any guidance or suggestions you may have.

Really either way would be just fine. With the portable method you will definitely be gaining the ability to take that drive anywhere and use your LB install from any computer. However, the best performance would be installing LB on your Windows OS as long as that is a SSD; launch box will be much more performant if it can directly access the videos and images from a fast SSD drive.

No need to do any drive mapping to LB, when you do the game import wizard it will tell LB where to look for the ROMs and then it will ask if you want to keep them in their place or if you want to move them. With the latest versions of LB I think you'll be very surprised with how good the import process has become. I would highly suggest watching the ETA Prime YouTube channel tutorials as well as the unbroken software YouTube tutorials searching those channels for your specific console or emulator.