LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch mega bezel reflective shaders way too small in vertical games

Hamburglin

Are you using the mega bezel on it's own or are you trying to load one of Duimons presets? There is the Mega Bezel, and then there is the presets Duimon made for Mega Bezel, along with his very accurate console graphics. Both need installed if you plan to have them look as pictured in Duimons thread. Mega bezel on its own looks that way, you can go through the settings in the shaders menu in RA and have it be as big or as little as you want. I will say that there are like 1000's of settings in there lol, I always post on the mega bezel thread when I have questions such as this. There's just so much in the settings its overwhelming, alot of it I don't fully understand.

If you loaded one of Duimons presets and thats what it loads then something went wrong, I've had that happen to me a few times when I was editing the presets to my liking. If anything breaks in the .slang preset it will just revert to normal mega bezel.

Edited by KingSlayer420

I think this it's just mega bezel. All I did was load a slang shader under mega bezel folder in retroarch. 

What I think is weird is that all of the normal horizontal games scale correctly. Only vertical ones are small.

And yeah... there are a million settings for the shaaders.

Yes the Mega shader expects the scaling to be set to full.

What it appears you have, is it is set to 3:4 or core provided. So the core thinks the game area is that small size, and then the shader is expecting the full screen size and it creates it frame, with what it expects is the full screen ibut it is being forced into the smallwe core provided size.

Addionally I'm not sure you can use the normal Retroarch overlay method with the full screen shaders, without an override for the game that points the shaders bezel image to your image of choice.

Edited by Headrush69
Fixed many typos/

Wait, I use core provided because that sets my vertical games to their max resolution that fits on my screen. It works as expected. I would assume that is full, unless full stretches images.

You're saying that mega bezels doesn't like to work at their correct resolution and size?

I'll have to manually change the size from core provided and check. I really don't want to set all of my vertical mame games to a manual setting though.

Again, just to be clear, the games are working correctly at full size when the shaders are off. I havent touched any other setting, including the scaling. They only shrink when when shaders are on, and only in vertical games.

Edited by Hamburglin

Most games are 4:3 or 3:4 aspect ratio and when set to core provided that is normally the game size that is set.

When you enable overlays, it draws these bezels outside that play area.

Using the Mega shaders, they expect to have your full screen size to work. (This has nothing to do with the game resolution)

Within that full screen, they create the fancy effects and they also create the frame and bezel and than embed the game playfield as well. 

Hope that makes sense and helps. (look at your first image and see how its drawing a frame and game inside that smaller 3:4 aspect)

Edited by Headrush69

28 minutes ago, Hamburglin said:

I guess that makes sense. I just don't understand why all of the 4:3 mame games work as expected with the shaders on then. They all use core provided too.

Without knowing the exact settings and shader you are using it's hard to say, but I can say that sometimes with the larger screen size it can look closer to right but it isn't.

Could you post a picture of a 4:3 game and exactly the settings for Video -> scaling, the overlay you are using (from where, bezel project), and the exact shader used?

Sorry Hamburglin, my son took over my PC for a bit to play some games with his cousin. I will have to say I haven't added many Arcade games to my collection just yet, I don't have not much experience with Mame. I have overlays disabled in my RA settings if that helps. Here are the instructions from HSM's thread about what RA settings to use.

RETROARCH SETUP

• Do all of the following before loading content

• Set the Video Driver
      • Set video driver to Vulkan or GLCore if Vulkan is not available
      • It will run in GLCore but seems faster in Vulkan
      • D3D IS NOT RECOMMENDED. If it loads in D3D it has a VERY slow load time
      • Restart Retroarch after changing the video driver
  • Video Scaling

• Open the Settings Menu and Set:
      • User Interface / Show Advanced Settings to ON
      • Video / Scaling / Aspect Ratio to Full
        • This will match your monitor aspect aspect ratio
      • Video / Scaling / Integer Scale to OFF
      • Video / Output / Video Rotation to Normal
      • Core / Allow Rotation to OFFImportant for FB Neo and MAME Current
  • Core Setup

• For FB Neo
      • Go to Quick Menu > Core Options and turn vertical mode to OFF
    • MAME Current
      • Go to Quick Menu > Core Options and set Rotation Mode to internal
    • Swanstation (and possibly other 3D cores)
      • Set Quick Menu / Core Options / Enhancement Settings / GPU Renderer to Vulkan or GLCore if Vulkan is not available

Edited by KingSlayer420

12 hours ago, Hamburglin said:

Just started 19xx after getting the mega bezel shaders installed.

The screen is like half or 1/3 the size it should be.

This is only an issue with the shader on.

20230713_191736.jpg

That looks like the lack of setting the cores aspect to "Full" it is fitting the game and the shader into the space the game should take as a result.

Sorry guys, I finally had time to look at this again. I just tested all of thebsettings shown above but it's still not working.

I just scrolled through every possible scaling aspect ratio and none looked correct. I've been using "core provided" since I can remember without issue, at least before I started using this shader, but tried full with rotation set to internal as well.

Here are some pics to prove my settings and how it's stretching the image ONLY for vertical games.

I'm using thebmegal bezel preset "MBZ_1_ADV.slangp"

20230721_194023.jpg

20230721_194054.jpg

20230721_194134.jpg

20230721_194141.jpg

Edited by Hamburglin

I've also tried changing the orientation in the shader parameters but thar stretches is horizontally even more.

My current guess is that I have a weird setting set, but I had to redo my retroarch couple weeks ago. Or that my windows os video settings are interfering somehow. Or a legit bug. I download the shaders just before I posted this post.

I also just noticed that I can print the shader parameters tonscreen so I've attached that too. (It was at the wrong angle on the tv so I had to rotate the picture so that it's easier to read)

20230721_195431.jpg

20230721_195744.jpg

Edited by Hamburglin

Ok, yet another issue while messing with the settings above, specifically the scaling aspect ratio.

If I use "core provided", the black tv bezel that mega bezel creates fits and is in the right place. If I select "full" then the mega bezel tv bezel is nowhere to be seen.

20230721_200653.jpg

20230721_200712.jpg

On 7/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, Hamburglin said:

Ok, yet another issue while messing with the settings above, specifically the scaling aspect ratio.

If I use "core provided", the black tv bezel that mega bezel creates fits and is in the right place. If I select "full" then the mega bezel tv bezel is nowhere to be seen.

20230721_200653.jpg

20230721_200712.jpg

It looks like you might have got your answers on the Retroarch forum, but you are mixing overlays and full screen Mega shaders. These shaders HAVE to be in full screen scaling, not core provided.

If you want to use some overlays, you have to add them and manually override them in a slang override. 

For example, I use Duimon's shader, but prefer my overlay images, so for the bsnes ocre I have a core slang override that has the following:

#reference ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Packs/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Presets/Advanced/Nintendo_SNES/SNES-[ADV]-[Guest]-[Bezel].slangp"
BackgroundImage = ":/overlays/Console Bezel Pack/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System_noframe.png"
HSM_USE_IMAGE_FOR_PLACEMENT = "1.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "64.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "64.000000"
HSM_FRM_THICKNESS = "0.000000"
HSM_DECAL_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"

Basically all that does is use my image and make the frame a bit smaller.

The result looks like this:

image.thumb.png.cd2d16c24bfca3aee412fca7bc8f4f8e.png

• 7 months later...