LaunchBox Community Forums

importing mame other game types?

d8thstar

There is not a direct [built-in] way to do this.

But I will always contend that there is pretty much always a way to do anything.  It comes down to how determined you are and if what you say you want is really what you want. ;) 

One way to do what you're asking:

• Start LaunchBox
  • Start the MAME Arcade Full Set Import Wizard
  • Create a new platform.  "Arcade-Temp" or any name other than your existing platform
  • Select your ROM folder and Manually Configure MAME Emulator and select MAME
  • Skip leaderboards but do check Search for game information...
  • Check None for all images and skip bezels
  • Set clones and region to whatever you like
  • Click Check All for Game Type and Features
    • Then Un-Check Skip non-arcade games
  • Under Create Playlists, click Uncheck All
    • Then Check Create Playlists for genres

After importing has completed, switch Views to Genre.  Scroll down to and select Handheld / Electronic Game

• Select one of the games
    • Press Ctrl+A (to select all)
    • Press Ctrl+E (to start the Bulk Edit Wizard)
  • For Field:, select platform
  • For Value:, enter a name you want to call your new platform ("MAME Handheld Electronic Games" or whatever)
  • Click Next, Next, to finish up.  Since we didn't import images, you won't need to migrate those.
  • No more changes

Now switch Views back to Platform.  Right-click on your new platform and select Edit and set Scrape As to Arcade. Click OK.

You can now remove Arcade-Temp. (right-click, Delete)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, d8thstar said:

well aint that a b...

previous user mentuions renaming 5 files.  any idea which need renaming to import and then name back?  i did devreorder YEARS ago so i'm lost :)

That thread i linked just says add a cleanly downloaded mame for the import and then just switch the emulator after import in Launchbox.

hey neil, just wanted to say thank you for the lead, that was it and i was able to get done what joel outlined above, so thank you to you both!

and just to clarify, it wasn't a registry edit, it was a few files in system folders.  all i had to do was reverse the directions of setting it up and everything worked perfectly!