LaunchBox Community Forums

mame-handheld electronic games - artwork / layfiles

d8thstar

hi all,

i recently imported old school handheld games in mame, don't laugh, i have a soft spot for them, i grew up with them (yes, i'm that old).

games are working great but i was hoping that the actual unit would be displayed, instead of just the lcd screen (or surrounding bezel), like at the 7:04 mark of the below video.

video shows how to do one offs, is there anyway in LB to get that artwork imported automatically?  aslo, when i did import the art in LB, it said to scrape as "arcade" so a lot of the artwork that was DL's, was arcade art.

anyways, just looking for a way to do this simply, if possible :)

• Like 1

hi all, recently added old handheld games to my cab, i have a soft spot for them :)

i found some bezel art on progretto so that the actual handheld shows on screen but missing a ton of them.  anyone know of a resource where all the artwork and lay files may be?

thank

• Retro808 changed the title to mame-handheld electronic games - artwork / layfiles
21 hours ago, d8thstar said:

hi all, recently added old handheld games to my cab, i have a soft spot for them :)

i found some bezel art on progretto so that the actual handheld shows on screen but missing a ton of them.  anyone know of a resource where all the artwork and lay files may be?

thank

Google "MAME 0.254 EXTRAs GitHub io" and will see link to get pack that contains artwork set (among other things) up to the 254 version.  The artwork folder contains lay files and images inclusive of handhelds.  Pack is updated about every other version of MAME that comes up.  Note not all games have them so if not in this pack is likely isn't generated yet. 

Edit: also make sure backup your existing artwork MAME folder and/or select the specific files you want from above download so you don't nuke anything you already have.  

Edited by sundogak

• 6 months later...

@sundogak for some reason the MAME 261 EXTRAs torrent does not contain _any_ GNW artwork zips except for gnw_ball. Do you know why, and is there a download link anywhere to just get them all? The progettosnaps site has broken links for their archive packs and I don't relish the idea of having to individually download all the game zips to extract. Thoughts?

44 minutes ago, strich said:

@sundogak for some reason the MAME 261 EXTRAs torrent does not contain _any_ GNW artwork zips except for gnw_ball. Do you know why, and is there a download link anywhere to just get them all? The progettosnaps site has broken links for their archive packs and I don't relish the idea of having to individually download all the game zips to extract. Thoughts?

That pack only has artwork for the "official" art which just so happens to only have one GNW for whatever reason.  Most of them are "alternate" which are listed individually here.  Or you can download the packs listed under progettosnaps.net artwork packs "alternate". The https://www.progettosnaps.net/artworks/  258 update pack has majority of them (~42).  The rest suspect are scattered in the packs but here is zip with rest GNW artwork.zip

Also some good media packs here at LB download site

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1