LaunchBox Community Forums

Default 3D Box Art

The Papaw

Each game inside of a playlist would take on the default properties of its platform.

For example, if you had a NES game and a SNES game inside of the same playlist, the NES game would show the NES default box while the SNES game would show the SNES default box.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Each game inside of a playlist would take on the default properties of its platform.

For example, if you had a NES game and a SNES game inside of the same playlist, the NES game would show the NES default box while the SNES game would show the SNES default box.

That is what I was hoping would happen, if you mean 3D Boxes as well. I have LB using 3D Boxes as the Image Group. I have a "Default 3D Box" for most of my platforms as well. An example, I have a playlist created for the wife that uses the genre of "Hidden Object". Most of them are Windows games, but not all. But they show "Box - Front" for the particular platform rather than Box - 3D. Maybe that makes more sense. 

1 hour ago, The Papaw said:

That is what I was hoping would happen, if you mean 3D Boxes as well. I have LB using 3D Boxes as the Image Group. I have a "Default 3D Box" for most of my platforms as well. An example, I have a playlist created for the wife that uses the genre of "Hidden Object". Most of them are Windows games, but not all. But they show "Box - Front" for the particular platform rather than Box - 3D. Maybe that makes more sense. 

@The Papaw when you click on that playlist for Hidden Object what does the image group say when you click on "Image Group" in the tool bar? Is it set to "Box- Front"?

My playlists are displaying 3D Boxes for all the games if the game itself has one, but they are not falling back to the Default 3D for the particular platform if the game has no artwork, but falling back to the Box - Front instead. Maybe that makes a bit more sense....o.O:)

Edited by The Papaw

2 minutes ago, The Papaw said:

My playlists are displaying 3D Boxes for all the games if the game itself has one, but they are not falling back to the Default 3D for the particular platform if the game has no artwork, but falling back to the Box - Front instead. Maybe that makes a bit more sense....o.O:)

What does your image priority for Box - 3D look like? If you have other options selected LB will go through those priorities first before using a set "Default" image for that type. 

42 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What does your image priority for Box - 3D look like? If you have other options selected LB will go through those priorities first before using a set "Default" image for that type. 

I even have the Box - Front priority set for 3D first like the screenshot

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3347b6eba1519f89d0a62112dc97fd61.jpg

30 minutes ago, The Papaw said:

I even have the Box - Front priority set for 3D first like the screenshot

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3347b6eba1519f89d0a62112dc97fd61.jpg

That's why it does not fall back to a Default image. You have other priorities. So even in a playlist LB will show Box-3D first, then Box-Full, Box-Front and so one. If it finds none of the ones you have selected then it will show a "Default - Box-3D" image if you have one set for the platform the game is in. 

19 minutes ago, The Papaw said:

My Recently Added playlist is displaying the correct 3D boxes. So tried to delete the playlist in question (one I'm using to test with) and re-creating it, getting same results, NO 3D boxes??O.o

Not sure here. Maybe provide pics of the 2 playlist images. But what I mentioned above is how it should be working. 

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

That's why it does not fall back to a Default image. You have other priorities. So even in a playlist LB will show Box-3D first, then Box-Full, Box-Front and so one. If it finds none of the ones you have selected then it will show a "Default - Box-3D" image if you have one set for the platform the game is in. 

Not sure here. Maybe provide pics of the 2 playlist images. But what I mentioned above is how it should be working. 

Thx for hangin' in there Retro. Here is the folder structure I use for my platforms & playlists:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d3232e1c5c184ca18ccae62a4d735ac5.jpg

In my Windows "Default 3D Box"  I have this image:

Windows.thumb.png.93b6727208afedefe30bd3026b2e6d45.png

If the game in the playlist is a Windows game, it is displaying the flat box that is in the Windows "Default Box" instead.

UPDATE: I just figured out why - I had created a generic 2D Box and added it to all the games in question, apparently, this stops the default platform 3D box from showing. It seems you cannot add any "Default" media other than the 4 for a playlist, like the top screenshot in this post