LaunchBox Community Forums

Download / Update Media without updating Metadata?

Fursphere

Is there a way to get launchbox to download / update media without having to re-download the metadata?

I've found that when I download media for something like GameBoyAdvance - EmuMovies will tell me I have thousands of items to download.  Then after a few hundred it'll stop.   (I suspect there is a daily cap or something?).   So I'll have to do it a few times over a few weeks.  

But everytime it downloads metadata first..  why?   why do I have to download metadata over and over again if its already preset?

This is also pondering me, and I'm still yet to have any workaround for it. Hope we could have a feature to use local metadata instead and skipping downloading it again before media can be downloaded. For now you could also opt for EmuSync and then manually copy those media over LB Media folder, which is way faster, but not as automated.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, Fursphere said:

Is there a way to get launchbox to download / update media without having to re-download the metadata?

I've found that when I download media for something like GameBoyAdvance - EmuMovies will tell me I have thousands of items to download.  Then after a few hundred it'll stop.   (I suspect there is a daily cap or something?).   So I'll have to do it a few times over a few weeks.  

But everytime it downloads metadata first..  why?   why do I have to download metadata over and over again if its already preset?

The only way right now is to use the Metadata and Media download wizard allows you to do this. If you choose the middle option that says "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media (recommended)", this option essentially doesn't download new metadata if there's something already filled into a particular field.

As far as the media download is concerned, if you are using the media limit option, it could find thousands of images that could be potentially downloaded, but instead of downloading the 10 images it found for a particular image group, it would stop at 1 if you set your limit to 1.

20 minutes ago, faeran said:

The only way right now is to use the Metadata and Media download wizard allows you to do this. If you choose the middle option that says "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media (recommended)", this option essentially doesn't download new metadata if there's something already filled into a particular field.

As far as the media download is concerned, if you are using the media limit option, it could find thousands of images that could be potentially downloaded, but instead of downloading the 10 images it found for a particular image group, it would stop at 1 if you set your limit to 1.

If feels like it always refreshes all metadata, even using option 2.

As far at the "limit to 1" behavior, I never know it worked that way.  "find 10, only grab 1".   Thank you for the explanation. 

18 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

If feels like it always refreshes all metadata, even using option 2.

Well, it checks every game, which is what you see in the progress bar, but only changes fields based on the setting you choose. All metadata is downloaded locally, and the metadata file is updated with new database changes (both for new info and new images) if the local metadata file is older than something like 24 hours, which would happen before the metadata check and the media download.