Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't find MAME CHD's.


boohyaka

Recommended Posts

Hey there, LB's giving me a hard time with my new MAME setup.

 

LaunchBox installed on a dedicated HDD, MAME 0.257 ROMs and 0.256 CHDs in a separate folder of the same hardrive.

Used the MAME import in LB, everything worked well. Launching games that do not require CHDs work fine, but those that do don't, complaining about not finding the CHD in console.

 

Did some reading on the forums, LB does not care about the CHD's, it's only MAME that needs to find them. Fair enough.

 

Modified the mame.ini (in LB\Emulators\MAME) to add my rom paths:

rompath                   H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged)

 

...and the same problem still happens in LB. CHD not found. If I run MAME (either by manually running mame.exe or calling it from LB by going right-click on a game -> Launch MAME 0.257) game with CHDs run just fine. So MAME reads the .ini, and knows where to find the CHD's.

 

Checking the rompath and Emulation settings on the game looks allright so I don't really know what's happening. Any suggestion? Thanks

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have spaces in your ini paths so try:

rompath 	"H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged)"

Edit: also did you install MAME (the program not the roms) via LB?  It could be pointing to different INI file.  

Edited by sundogak
edit fixed error in quotes placement
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK fixed it... two things:

 

1. I played with the rompath a bit more after your remark - it worked from MAME the way I had it which was without brackets but thought I would try something else in case it was the way LB called command-line that created the issue.

It appears your proposition is actually the only quoting that will not work, unfortunately :) but that's how I would have done it as well. After some testing, brackets only work with a single set around the whole path string, not around invididual entries. And it doesn't care about spaces:

OK:  rompath          H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)
OK:  rompath          "H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)"
NOK: rompath          "H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged)";"H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)"

 

2. After looking more into command line and how LB did it, when editing the MAME emulator in LB, I noticed it had a " -rompath %romlocation%" command-line option...which basically cancels the rompath defined in mame.ini. Not sure why it's there by default?

Removed it and now all CHD's work fine. So case closed.

Thanks :)

Edited by boohyaka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, boohyaka said:

which basically cancels the rompath defined in mame.ini. Not sure why it's there by default?

Because most users do not go in and edit emulator files, so Launchbox passes the path you specified during import, so that editing files is not required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, boohyaka said:

OK fixed it... two things:

 

1. I played with the rompath a bit more after your remark - it worked from MAME the way I had it which was without brackets but thought I would try something else in case it was the way LB called command-line that created the issue.

It appears your proposition is actually the only quoting that will not work, unfortunately :) but that's how I would have done it as well. After some testing, brackets only work with a single set around the whole path string, not around invididual entries. And it doesn't care about spaces:

OK:  rompath          H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)
OK:  rompath          "H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged);H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)"
NOK: rompath          "H:\MAME\MAME 0.257 ROMs (merged)";"H:\MAME\MAME 0.256 CHDs (merged)"

 

2. After looking more into command line and how LB did it, when editing the MAME emulator in LB, I noticed it had a " -rompath %romlocation%" command-line option...which basically cancels the rompath defined in mame.ini. Not sure why it's there by default?

Removed it and now all CHD's work fine. So case closed.

Thanks :)

Yeah, that was bonehead on my end. As you noted quotes on outer string.  I don't have spaces in my paths so didn't notice.  Also, suspected it was the LB "auto" install (which I don't use so wasn't sure what it sticks where).  As you noted it overrides the ini pathing.  Glad you got figured. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...