LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a tutorial on how to create a genre under a specific platform?

scottvf

11 hours ago, scottvf said:

I would like to select a platform like playstation 2 then be able to select a genre like RPG, Action, Platform, ect. Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

If you want them to be lists already presented there are several ways you can do this. 

Option 1: Right click the platform name and choose >Auto-Generate Child Playlists. A menu will come up allowing you to select types of playlists for that platform you want. These will be available as a tree under the platform name. You can then delete any you do not want. 

Option 2: Choose your platform and make sure its games are visible. In the upper left of the LB window there should be a Search box with a Filter logo to the right of it. Click that filter and select  > Genre then the Genre option. This will filter the games to only those with that genre. Now click on the filter button again and at the bottom of that list you will see "Save Filter(s) to New Playlist". Select that and the Playlist UI will pop-up. Name it what you want and then go to "Parents" tab and click the select box next to the platform name. This will ensure the new playlist shows up under the platform. 

Option 3: Right click the platform name and choose >Add >New >Playlist. In the Details tab name the playlist what you want. Then in the Auto-Populate tab click the check box to make it an auto-pop playlist. You will need to set a couple line options here. Set first line (Field / Comparison / Value) to be "Platform" / "Is Equal To" / [Your Platform Name]. In the second line set the (Field / Comparison / Value) to be "Genre" / "Is Equal To" / [Your Genre Choice]. Next go to the "Parents" tab and set the parent to be the platform. 

Option 1: Right click the platform name and choose >Auto-Generate Child Playlists. A menu will come up allowing you to select types of playlists for that platform you want. These will be available as a tree under the platform name. You can then delete any you do not want. 

Right clicking on the platform doesn't show >Auto-Generate Child Playlists.

20230912_205457.jpg

Option 3: Right click the platform name and choose >Add >New >Playlist. In the Details tab name the playlist what you want. Then in the Auto-Populate tab click the check box to make it an auto-pop playlist. You will need to set a couple line options here. Set first line (Field / Comparison / Value) to be "Platform" / "Is Equal To" / [Your Platform Name]. In the second line set the (Field / Comparison / Value) to be "Genre" / "Is Equal To" / [Your Genre Choice]. Next go to the "Parents" tab and set the parent to be the platform. 

Did this with first platform then when adding for another platform this poped up.

20230912_211013.jpg

9 hours ago, scottvf said:

Right clicking on the platform doesn't show >Auto-Generate Child Playlists.

20230912_205457.jpg

On the left side where the platform names are just above "All" that drop down box you have selected "Platform" to do what I mentioned you need to change that option to "Platform Category".

9 hours ago, scottvf said:

Did this with first platform then when adding for another platform this poped up.

20230912_211013.jpg

That error speaks for itself. It means you already have a playlist with that unique name. You can use the same unique name several times just need to make sure you change the "nested name" field to differ the playlists from each other. 

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 7.34.49 AM.png

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

That error speaks for itself. It means you already have a playlist with that unique name. You can use the same unique name several times just need to make sure you change the "nested name" field to differ the playlists from each other. 

Other way round. Unique name has to be UNIQUE and can only be used once. Nested Name is how it appears in the tree and can be named whatever you want. For example I have several genre playlists for the "Adventure" genre so I created playlists with unique names of: NES_GENRE_ADVENTURE, GBA_GENRE_ADVENTURE, SNES_GENRE_ADVENTURE. All their nested names however are just "Adventure" (without quotes)

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Other way round. Unique name has to be UNIQUE and can only be used once. Nested Name is how it appears in the tree and can be named whatever you want. For example I have several genre playlists for the "Adventure" genre so I created playlists with unique names of: NES_GENRE_ADVENTURE, GBA_GENRE_ADVENTURE, SNES_GENRE_ADVENTURE. All their nested names however are just "Adventure" (without quotes)

LOL. Typing and not thinking. Thanks

2 hours ago, scottvf said:

It'd be nice it there was a tutorial on how to do this (Create genres under platforms) instead of me trying trial and error many times.

I must be missing something or misunderstanding your request as I just gave you a tutorial on 3 ways to do just that. Any of those steps will give you Genres showing under a platform. 

2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

The UI looks slightly different, but our nesting tutorial on YT (found here) should give you all the information you need to get started. I don't think any of that logic has changed since then.

Thanks for the video!  By watching the video I found out what I was doing wrong. I always learn better by watching. Again, Thanks. 👍