LaunchBox Community Forums

Multi Disk Support (Seperate from additinal apps)

darreldearth

Would it be hard to impliment Multi Disk Support into launch box in the form of something seperate but similar to additinal apps? and if launchbox knows you've listed more than 1 disk with the selected title then when clicking to play that game it will specifically ask which disk/version you wish to play (Including options for Special Disks, Bonus Disks etc.

Also, as you know m3u files dont work for every emulator, and they're also kinda not as attractive to use since only the main user of launchbox knows how to access them through retroarch. So far ive just been listing my games like Final Fantasy (Disk 1), Final Fantasy (Disk 2) etc. which isnt to pretty to scroll through. Anyway, be cool to see Multi-Disk get some love after all these years, and implemented as a main feature in some form or another.

Edited by darreldearth

Unless I'm misunderstanding you the thing you're requesting is already built into our additional app feature. You can set the disk number on the app. We can build a m3u file for you and pass it to the emulator if you have that option disabled. We also have the ability to change disc in the pause menu when doing so. The only thing NOT asked is what disc you want to load, you do have to pick the disc through the versions menu on either LaunchBox or Big Box

On 10/23/2023 at 6:14 AM, C-Beats said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you the thing you're requesting is already built into our additional app feature. You can set the disk number on the app. We can build a m3u file for you and pass it to the emulator if you have that option disabled. We also have the ability to change disc in the pause menu when doing so. The only thing NOT asked is what disc you want to load, you do have to pick the disc through the versions menu on either LaunchBox or Big Box

Thanks for trying to help C-Beats. Yeah, i guess additional apps just seems like they should be listed sepertaly from multiple disks, but seeing as how they're already programmed to be one in the same i guess the main thing would just be adding an option to have a popup when a game a launched with multiple disks so users not familiar with the launchbox frontend can have it be user friendly. Especially seeing as how someone already went to the trouble to program multiple disks into launchbox (mainly for m3u files im assuming) just kinda makes sense, and would just make it cleaner in my opinion. 

Edited by darreldearth

7 hours ago, darreldearth said:

mainly for m3u files im assuming

m3u support was actually added FAR later than multi-disc support.
Is there a reason the "Play Version" option isn't sufficient enough? Sounds like you want something similar, just don't want the ability to use "Play" (or have play bring up the version popup)

On 10/26/2023 at 6:29 AM, C-Beats said:

Can already be done via Pause menu

The pause menu looks nice, but it relies on M3U files and doesn't work with every emulator. Based on my experience with Big Box, it would be nice to have a simple popup with a list of disk numbers, bonus disks, and specials to appear before launching a multi-disk game. This could be enabled as an option, and would only appear when clicking play on a multi-disk game, not games with only multiple versions. I believe this would also be more user friendly and more immersive than having to go into the multiple apps section for people who are not familiar with the Big Box/LaunchBox interface. 

Example: When clicking Play on Resident Evil 2 inside of Big Box you would see a semi transparent window pop up asking...

Which Disk Would You Like To Load?

• Disk 1 Leon
  • Disk 2 Claire
  • Special Bonus Audio Disk
Edited by darreldearth