LaunchBox Community Forums

Getting Improved Metadata.

PsiSoldier

Is there any way to download more specific Metadata for games in my collection automatically?  For example I'm sure someone has tagged Space Theme games with a Space genre tag somewhere or Zombie games etc.  

I am working on my own Bigbox theme and created custom artwork for different themes but games by default in my launchbox don't seem to have genre tags like Space or Zombie etc.  

Can anyone tell me an easy way to download updated meta data that might include that without me having to manually tag all of it?

Attaching a couple examples of some of the art I'm Talking about just for fun. Obviously there are already games tagged fighting and what not but just wanted to share that anyways. 

OIG.2scPP94B4Hu.jpeg

OIG (59).jpeg

OIG (55).jpeg

@JoeViking245 made a plugin that allows users to apply some one else's LaunchBox data to their own. It could be used to collaboratively add a custom field for "Theme" that could be shared amongst users to do something like this. That being said SOME ONE would have to manually add it to all the games as it isn't a field we have in the database at the moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

@JoeViking245 made a plugin that allows users to apply some one else's LaunchBox data to their own. It could be used to collaboratively add a custom field for "Theme" that could be shared amongst users to do something like this. That being said SOME ONE would have to manually add it to all the games as it isn't a field we have in the database at the moment.

Ahh yes Theme would be more appropriate than genre.  I'd love to see that added in the future but I guess for the time being I'll just have to settle for tagging my own collection under genre. I might dig into seeing what it would take to add Theme at some point but that's beyond me for now.

16 hours ago, PsiSoldier said:

Ahh yes Theme would be more appropriate than genre.  I'd love to see that added in the future but I guess for the time being I'll just have to settle for tagging my own collection under genre. I might dig into seeing what it would take to add Theme at some point but that's beyond me for now.

Following requires a premium license but is how you would do it:
Edit a single game, in the window that appears there is a "Custom Fields" tab. Click that.
In that datagrid in the left column select the empty cell at the top and then type in "Theme"
In the right cell put whatever value you want that game to have
Press OK to save the change.
Now you can continue to do this process with individual games OR you now have the ability to bulk edit that field and change the value on several games at once.

Awesome Thanks C-Beats!     That is actually faster than adding the Theme from the dropdown menu in Genre.  However I sadly cannot set conditions inside the Community Theme Creator to be based on a custom  field like Theme that I have added..  Or at least I don't see that as an option.   But I'll keep poking around at it because I like the idea.

My goal is to Change elements of the Bigbox theme based on the theme of the game be it Space, Zombie, Fantasy, WW2  or whatever  As well of course as allowing you to browse by the game Themes.

This all leads me to another question I'm afraid.   If I package the theme for others to download is there anyway to include my metadata that adds the theme (Which seems it actually has to be genre) so that if anyone else has those games it would change elements of the Bigbox theme?

I have an enormous library of over 2000 games between Steam GOG Epic EA and all that so I could certainly be of help in contributing to adding improved metadata for people which I would be happy to work on.