LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android - 1.12 Beta Thread

faeran

22 minutes ago, Eyebrows Cat said:

When I try to start the game with Citra MMJ (Storage Access Version), it seems to crash.

Are you able to open a separate thread for troubleshooting purposes. Remember to include the device you are using, the Android version you are on, and any other pieces of info that could help narrow down what you are seeing, like what happens if you launch the game directly from Citra MMJ (Storage Access Version), and what exactly is happening when you are launching from LaunchBox.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, faeran said:

Are you able to open a separate thread for troubleshooting purposes. Remember to include the device you are using, the Android version you are on, and any other pieces of info that could help narrow down what you are seeing, like what happens if you launch the game directly from Citra MMJ (Storage Access Version), and what exactly is happening when you are launching from LaunchBox.

I've created a new thread for troubleshooting.
Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Beta 2 is out now, which is a fairly large one. The big new feature is that RetroArch is now integrated into LaunchBox for Android. With a click of a button, you have the ability to download, install, and update RetroArch and its cores (more detailed info in the full changelog below). The version of RetroArch that gets installed is simply called "RetroArch", and can be found under Emulator Settings, and has now become the default emulator for many platforms. It is highly recommended to switch to this version of RetroArch to gain all the benefits of this update.

We've also added a new crash reporting system within this beta. After you update to this version, if you experience a crash, we will receive the full crash report automatically. The more people that can upgrade to this beta and start using the app, the faster we can get eyes on any crashes you might be experiencing.

Here's the full changelog:

• RetroArch can now be automatically downloaded and installed when launching a game (if it's not installed already); this makes it super easy to get up and playing without the need for a user to set up RetroArch separately
  • RetroArch cores can now be automatically downloaded and sent to RetroArch when launching a game (if the core is missing)
  • A Manage RetroArch option is now available in the root menu, which allows you to download, install, and update RetroArch, and all its cores, with a touch of a button
  • An "Add Downloaded Core..." value has been added to RetroArch's Default Core option. This will allow you to choose from core files that are placed inside of the following folder: \\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\Cores
  • Play Time Tracking no longer requires notification permissions (however, it is highly beneficial to grant it)
  • You can now sort by play time
  • The following emulators are now fully supported: MAME4Droid 2024, Yuzu Early Access
  • The Melon DS RetroArch core is now an available option for the Nintendo DS platform
  • PPSSPP Gold will now launch on certain problematic devices (like the Odin 2 Pro)
  • Menu text will now size dynamically based on a user's resolution and DPI settings
  • A rare crash has been fixed caused by attempting to load an image that does not exist
  • Turning the Cloud Sync feature off and on again would sometimes cause incorrect changes to local sync data

As always, thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us test these beta releases.

• Like 2

Now you have the retroarch cores in both the retroarch folder and the launchbox folder. I don't want to have the same duplicate cores on the phone. Is there a way to disable this no sense option?

On 1/20/2024 at 6:19 AM, Jessica said:

Now you have the retroarch cores in both the retroarch folder and the launchbox folder. I don't want to have the same duplicate cores on the phone. Is there a way to disable this no sense option?

Yes, you simply can use any of the other flavors of RetroArch. The 64-bit sideloaded version is recommended if you want to continue to handle RetroArch on your own.

Beta 3 has been released with the following:

• Small change to some default theme views which help with background fade displacement issues on select devices
  • Many navigational crashes have been fixed across the app

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the beta and used it over the last week. We've managed to track down and squash about 15 of the major ones we were seeing in our reporting system. If all things go well, we are looking at an official release sometime next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sirchadofwick said:

Can't install the newest beta release on any android device I have. On the update is now downloaded and ready to install screen, I hit ok and it just hangs there and doesn't respond. Using Retroid Pocket 2S and Odin2.

same on Nvidia Shield, it just stalls then kicks me back to main screen

9 hours ago, sirchadofwick said:

Can't install the newest beta release on any android device I have. On the update is now downloaded and ready to install screen, I hit ok and it just hangs there and doesn't respond. Using Retroid Pocket 2S and Odin2.

Same for me also on Odin2.  Tried after clean boot etc.

21 hours ago, sirchadofwick said:

20 hours ago, oyehia said:

same on Nvidia Shield, it just stalls then kicks me back to main screen

12 hours ago, jammey97 said:

Same for me also on Odin2.  Tried after clean boot etc.

4 hours ago, Gtrevize said:

thanks for the update but same here, cannot hit the ok button and/or it does not work :(

Thanks guys. We will fix this up as soon as we can. However, this looks to be a problem introduced in beta 2, and if I'm right, that means beta 3 will also have the same issue once we release a fix in the next beta.

Luckily, you can simply go into your LaunchBox\Updates folder using a files app, find the latest apk file that was downloaded and click on it to install.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, faeran said:

Luckily, you can simply go into your LaunchBox\Updates folder using a files app, find the latest apk file that was downloaded and click on it to install.

Didn't know about this, successfully updated with the most recent download in that folder.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jammey97 said:

Didn't know about this, successfully updated with the most recent download in that folder.

Thanks!

same here :)

and by the way, thanks for fixing the scrapping issues. it now works GREAT !!!

update : sadly, crashed my system and corrupted my sd :( :( :(  

Edited by Gtrevize

Beta 4 is out now. This one fixes up the update bug, as well as smooths out a few issues with our new integrated RetroArch download and install process.

For people that are either on Beta 2 or Beta 3, you will find that your update will freeze on the prompt that starts the LaunchBox update. If this happens to you, use a files app to navigate to your LaunchBox\Updates folder and install the latest apk file you find in there (which at the moment is beta 4), and you should be good to go.

At this point, we are treating Beta 4 as the release candidate and are hoping to officially release this next week.

Changelog:

• Fixed issue where the app would freeze during the update process (introduced in beta 2)
  • Pressing No when asked if you would like to install RetroArch will no longer try and launch the game
  • Fixed a crash caused by video playback that may happen to some users when returning to LaunchBox after the RetroArch install process

Thanks to everyone who has helped testing this cycle.

• Like 3

My app was crashing on "Searching emumovies for downloads" when I would select a console and choose "Download Missing Media."

Once I updated to Beta 4, the issue seems to have gone away!

I have two folders for ROM Hacks, (Mario Hacks and Sonic Hacks). Is there currently a way to add them as a separate console? Or are they ROMs going to automatically go their respective console? (EG SNES or Genesis)

Edited by Dragon33

On 2/2/2024 at 5:41 PM, Dragon33 said:

My app was crashing on "Searching emumovies for downloads" when I would select a console and choose "Download Missing Media."

Once I updated to Beta 4, the issue seems to have gone away!

I have two folders for ROM Hacks, (Mario Hacks and Sonic Hacks). Is there currently a way to add them as a separate console? Or are they ROMs going to automatically go their respective console? (EG SNES or Genesis)

Great to hear.

They would most likely need to go into their respective platforms if you are importing them in the app. You may be able to get away with more if you first set everything up inside of the desktop app, and then export to Android. In the future, we may tackle some form of playlist ability that would allow you to tag those games into their own playlists, but I'm not sure when we will end up getting to that.

49 minutes ago, faeran said:

Great to hear.

They would most likely need to go into their respective platforms if you are importing them in the app. You may be able to get away with more if you first set everything up inside of the desktop app, and then export to Android. In the future, we may tackle some form of playlist ability that would allow you to tag those games into their own playlists, but I'm not sure when we will end up getting to that.

I also am making sure the debug logs are being recorded! I hope all my crashes and setting configs are helpful lol

I haven't purchased LaunchBox for the computer, but I def thought of seeing if that was possible to import the systems to the Android instance!