LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox crashes on startup / Object Reference Not Set Error

lordbond

Every time I start launchbox it crashes with an error and if I close the error message Launchbox exits. Bigbox starts up and I don't see the error there. The error message says something about xbox client but I have sett Launchbox to not check Xbox games and I even turned off the scan storefront option on startup and I still am getting the error. It doesn't seem to be saving the setting because when I restart Launchbox it is turned on again.  I have also deleted my Xbox files and tried re-installing the application. The error message I am getting is this-

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.8
Theme:   Default
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void MoveNext()
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RevertLiteralCustomer(Object reference)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RefreshTokens()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Processes.Scanning.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.VerifyDistributedFilter()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

7:02:08 PM Exception

I don't know what else to try

Hi, 

So now I got his...attached a screen shot of error as well as logs. Big Box seems to be working ok, when I open LaunchBox I get this error and when I close the error window LaunchBox shuts down as well. I have no idea what caused it, I played some, turned it off to sleep and when I woke up and got back on this is how I was greeted.

2023-11-30_23-15-23.png

Debug 2023-11-30 11-29-10 PM.log Debug 2023-11-30 11-34-28 PM.log

This is happening to me as well i was able to force the import for XBox/Microsoft Store to 'none' before it crashed again and now i just get a dialog saying login has expired. There is also a tick box at the top of the manage storefront dialog to turn of auto import. If i try to login the error returns

Anyone having this issue please do the workaround below (steps provided by our Devs). 

With LaunchBox closed:
Navigate to the folder you installed LaunchBox in.
Go to the Data folder inside of this folder
Open the Settings.xml file
Look for "EnableAutomatedImports" tag.  (It should be around line 54 - may not be exact depending in your build)
If it is Set to "true" change it to false
Save and close the file
Reopen LaunchBox

Theme:   Omni

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RevertLiteralCustomer(Object reference)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RefreshTokens()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Processes.Scanning.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.VerifyDistributedFilter()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Recent Log:

12:00:49 Exception

11 minutes ago, かいり said:

Theme:   Omni

Recent Log:

12:00:49 Exception

See my prior post and try those steps. 

I found this because I was having the same issue, and followed the steps to fix my Launchbox from crashing. I did investigate a little further, too. I opened up my Manage Storefronts once I got the app to work, and from there started logging in any that had been logged out (I generally need to relog into Epic once a day and EA about once a month, which was today). Since I was also logged out of Xbox/Microsoft, I clicked it's button, too. This made it throw the error and crash again. So, the login to the storefront is probably a good place to start when the devs start looking for solutions. :)

This error seems to be regarding the importing or checking of xbox games.

If you change the <EnableAutomatedImports>true</EnableAutomatedImports> to false then you are not able to import any games in for Steam, Epic etc.

I changed the above to false so i could open Launchbox. Then in Tools > Manage > Storefronts change Xbox Import to None. Closed Launchbox. Changed the above back to True.

Launchbox opens ok and checks all stores apart from Xbox (as this seems to be the issue)

Ok, I think I narrowed down where the problem is coming from but am not sure how to fix it. The Microsoft/Xbox store was signed out and will not sign back in and popped up with the same error but with an extra run internal line. I have attached the error as well as the logs from this.

2023-12-01_13-50-43N.png

Debug 2023-11-30 11-34-28 PM.log Debug 2023-12-01 01-38-08 PM.log

Thanks for the reports. I've tracked down the cause of the issue which is that Microsoft changed a bunch of stuff in their web services and unfortunately broke quite a bit of stuff in doing so (including for them). They have a lot of reported outages/issues they are currently working through on their end and I'm seeing if I can find out if we need to change our logic or if it will get corrected in all the passes they are actively doing on the changes now. I have code changes in place internally that we are testing to at least ensure this process fails more silently and doesn't cause the chaos it is right now. It should be in the next beta release that we hope to drop very early next week.

• Like 2

• Retro808 changed the title to Launchbox crashes on startup / Object Reference Not Set Error
  • Retro808 locked and unlocked this topic

I can't believe how bad this has screwed Launchbox up, now I have no artwork for anything and the game titles are all just the short filenames, unbelievable. I may aswell just delete if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

Edited by Coolcuk

31 minutes ago, Coolcuk said:

I can't believe how bad this has screwed Launchbox up, now I have no artwork for anything and the game titles are all just the short filenames, unbelievable. I may aswell just delete if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

Yeah, this error would not mess up LB like you are stating. I suspect you have something else going on. 

As for the "if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon" comment I think you did not read this part from one of our devs...

On 12/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, C-Beats said:

I have code changes in place internally that we are testing to at least ensure this process fails more silently and doesn't cause the chaos it is right now. It should be in the next beta release that we hope to drop very early next week.