LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox crashes on startup / Object Reference Not Set Error

lordbond

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah, this error would not mess up LB like this. I suspect you have something else going on. 

As for the "if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon" comment I think you did not read this part from one of our devs...

Oh cheers I didn't see that sorry, I think when I set the  <EnableAutomatedImports>true</EnableAutomatedImports> to false then true again this is when it's happening but I'll wait for the update, thank you.

Sadly this is a major issue, I just tried to open LB Sunday 03rd of Dec 2023 and it will not load, reported but sad to see this happen. I done the xml file and works, I will post 808's suggestion here so new people can read

Oh and just thinking, does this mean now that you have to change the company name to Broken Software?  ;)

SOLUTION

Can you both try the following:

With LaunchBox closed:
Navigate to the folder you installed LaunchBox in.
Go to the Data folder inside of this folder
Open the Settings.xml file
Look for "EnableAutomatedImports" tag.  (It should be around line 54 - may not be exact depending in your build)
If it is Set to "true" change it to false
Save and close the file
Reopen LaunchBox

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.8
Theme:   Default
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void MoveNext()
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RevertLiteralCustomer(Object reference)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RefreshTokens()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Processes.Scanning.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.VerifyDistributedFilter()
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

18:52:53 Exception

Edited by Mark Norville

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RevertLiteralCustomer(Object reference)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Integrations.Xbox.XboxAccountClient.RefreshTokens()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Processes.Scanning.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.VerifyDistributedFilter()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Recent Log:

9:48:14 PM Exception

On 12/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, Coolcuk said:

I can't believe how bad this has screwed Launchbox up, now I have no artwork for anything and the game titles are all just the short filenames, unbelievable. I may aswell just delete if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

I'm pretty sure you have a bigger problem going on. I have not experienced anything like what you are describing. This problem has existed for only a few days now, and MS broke it. Unbroken has zero control over what MS or any other business does; they didn't cause the problem but must try to solve it. So just be mellow and give them a chance to fix it; getting worked up about it won't help them solve it quicker.

6 minutes ago, RavenDarhk said:

I'm pretty sure you have a bigger problem going on. I have not experienced anything like what you are describing. This problem has existed for only a few days now, and MS broke it. Unbroken has zero control over what MS or any other business does; they didn't cause the problem but must try to solve it. So just be mellow and give them a chance to fix it; getting worked up about it won't help them solve it quicker.

I get you, I'm calm now haha.

3 minutes ago, RavenDarhk said:

LB doesn't kick you out until you click ok on the error. If you go to Manage and the Storefronts and change the MS import option to none the error will go away and you can use LB just fine.

I can't do anything it locks the whole of Launchbox when the error comes up.

34 minutes ago, Coolcuk said:

I can't do anything it locks the whole of Launchbox when the error comes up.

Do you do the workaround steps I posted in this thread? You have to set that field to false and leave it as false for now. 

Everyone that has experienced this issue has successfully down the workaround as LB is back and running. This will suffice until the devs release the next beta likely early in this week. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Do you do the workaround steps posted in this thread?

Everyone that has experienced this issue has successfully down the workaround as LB is backk and running.. This will suffice until the devs release the next beta likely early in this week. 

I'll have a look thanks, I didn't notice the workaround was posted.

Hello!

Today when I went to launch Launchbox i started getting the following error. I didn't make any changes to my microsoft/windows installs or libraries when I last had it open.

I'd like to fix this without uninstalling and starting over, but if that's what it takes. Thanks for looking at this

App:     LaunchBox
Theme:   Default
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void MoveNext()
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows

Recent Log:

11:03:23 AM Exception

I'm getting error as well.  Adding my details here too.

How do I get the beta?  I changed the xml file and can open LaunchBox now but if I try to go in and turn off the Xbox storefront, as soon as I open up Tools --> Manage Storefronts it freezes and I have to open Task Manager and close LaunchBox from there.  It shows LaunchBox and a CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess task running.

35 minutes ago, heylonghair said:

How do I get the beta?  I changed the xml file and can open LaunchBox now but if I try to go in and turn off the Xbox storefront, as soon as I open up Tools --> Manage Storefronts it freezes and I have to open Task Manager and close LaunchBox from there.  It shows LaunchBox and a CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess task running.

LB >Tools >Options >Updates

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, Coolcuk said:

I can't believe how bad this has screwed Launchbox up, now I have no artwork for anything and the game titles are all just the short filenames, unbelievable. I may aswell just delete if it isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

please try updating metadata, in tools, force metadata update