LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 98 emulation and Retroarch

starfiretbt

I want to play old windows games and recently I installed windows 98 in Retroarch using their dosbox pure core. I can now play windows 98 games through Retroarch but I was hoping I can play those games in LaunchBox through Retroarch.

I took the .zip file that Retroarch uses for the game and assigned it as the game file in LaunchBox under "Launching", then I assigned Retroarch as the emulator under "Emulation" but clicking play or double clicking on the game does nothing to start it. I would have thought at least it would start Retroarch and it would ask what core to use (which I would choose dosbox pure, then windows 98).

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Edited by starfiretbt
forgot a quotation mark

That's really interesting actually.  I can't think of any games of the top of my head that I would set up win98 specifically to play, but it's still pretty damn cool it can be done through RA, and then launched through launchbox.  Would you be able to make a video showing your setup for that? I'd like to see it in action.

I don't know if I'm professional enough to make a video (maybe suggest that to ETA Prime) but I do know there is a video (I'm currently looking for it and if I find it I will post it) about managing emulators with associated platforms. My problem was I set Retroarch as the emulator for an old windows 9x game without assigning it in associated platforms (because there wasn't one for windows 98). I just

1. Right click on the game

2. Selected edit/edit metadata

3. Went to platform and changed [Windows] to [Windows 98]

4. Then went to the menu at the top of the Launchbox screen and went to Tools/Manage/Emulators

5. Clicked on Retroarch

6. Went down to [edit] at the bottom of the window

7. Clicked on Associated Platforms

8. At the bottom was [Windows 98] and I selected the core Dosbox Pure

I had already installed Windows 98 in dosbox pure and installed the game in Windows 98. The game file needed to be the game file I use in Retroarch, meaning the zip file (not 7zip). Since I had already loaded the game in dosbox pure as Windows 98 the operating system automatically comes up and the game automatically comes up as well.

This was my ordeal in setting up Windows 98 and the game through Windows 98 https://forums.libretro.com/t/need-help-posting/43221.

I hope this helps.