LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue with wrong media counts in audit overviews

Rinusch

Hi all,

When I audit (in this particular case Amiga) games, I get wrong counts for the various image categories.
For instance, for game 'Baal', I have 7 images: 1 box front, 1 box 3d, 1 disc, and 4 gameplay screenshots.
Auditing gets me: 1 box back image, 6 box front images, 2 3d box images, 3 cart front images, and 4 screenshot images.

Afaics, only the latter is correct. Some 'reverse engineering' for various games, seems to have learned me that at least 'box back image' represents the '3d box image'. Box spine always seems to be correct from what I've seen.

Apart from the counts being corrected, it would also be very beneficial if all image categories would be listed in the audit overview. Instead, categories like  advertisements, different screenshot types (gameplay, game over, ..) etc are missing in the overview.
Could this be something to address in a next release perhaps? To get a collection complete, the audit feature is of great value if all of this information is available.

Regards!

Edited by Rinusch

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

It's been a month and no one has either confirmed the issue or the fact it will be looked at. 
Before it gets forgotten: is there a dev who can confirm having read this and tell me this is not 'intended behaviour' (😉), i.e. something that will hopefully be added to the backlog  ?

Regards!

Apologies, I didn't see the post before. This isn't an issue I've heard reported before so I'd have to look into whether I can replicate and what would be potentially causing it. It's not a window that gets changes very often. Been years since we touched it so would be surprised if something suddenly broke it, but I'll have to look and confirm.

It’s also important to note that the audit window is using your Image Priorities instead of single image types. For example, if you have Box - Front, Box - 3D and Screenshots enabled in your “Box Front Priorities” than your 6 images count would be correct. If you disable all image types except Box - Front within your priorities, the result should come up with only 1 available image.

The example you gave, explaining how configured image priorities settings impact the count in the audit window turned out to be correct.

The ratio behind it doesn't make any sense to me however. If I want to audit my collection, I want to do that independently of what I happen to have (potentially wrongly) configured there. The audit is about counts of different types of media, regardless of display priorities. This is also the reason I am a bit surprised not all categories are listed in the audit overview. I definitely would like them to be.

So hopefully this can be adressed in the near future...it would be much appreciated as, like I said, this is about getting your collection complete for the relevant media you're interested in.

Regards! 

12 minutes ago, Rinusch said:

it would be much appreciated as, like I said, this is about getting your collection complete for the relevant media you're interested in.

Which is why we display images in groups. The UI uses group priority to determine which images are shown where. Having groups means you can easily identify that the groups the UI use have the desired amount of images in that bucket. We have some image types thrown in that don't really have a "group" to call home and really aren't used by our stock UI anyway to help in those endeavors. Unless you're trying kit out your media to work with a specific theme that uses images outside of the groups there isn't too many reasons to not look at the group level that we could think of, which is why that window works the way it does.

A concrete example in my case is that I would like to always have at least a gameplay screenshot. So a count of, say, 4 images in the screenshots category doesn't tell me anything. What I instead would like to know, is the games where I have 0 gameplay screenshots so that I can then manually make screenshots for those games to make everything complete. So I know now, I could narrow down my screenshot display priorities to only include gameplay screenshots, but then I need to revert that back afterwards or games may be missing screenshots while I haven't been able to manually create the missing ones yet.

This is what I expected to be the point of the auditing window. It also includes for instance arcade cabinet, circuit board and control images. Or are all columns in the audit window used in stock UI (including those 3 examples)? 
I just think there are more examples where users would like to have a full grannular overview of their collection (for whichever reason which may seem strange to others).

Regards!