LaunchBox Community Forums

LB tries to change the wrong system?

DaveC1964

So I tried to edit Genesis 32X to use Picodrive.  I edit associated platforms, change Genesis 32X to Picodrive but when I try to continue it tells me it wants to update Gamecube.  Gamecube?!  I don't get it, so confusing.  What am I doing wrong.

image.thumb.png.e7b3ece9dead5466687e9231c1267c23.png

I use the standalone Dolphin.  I am not sure why Retroarch is checked, I didn't check that box and if GC is already associated with the standalone  I am not sure why LB would check it on it's own instead of Dolphin that I associated with it.    It does work if I uncheck it.

Edited by DaveC1964
  • Game On 1

@DaveC1964 this is normal behavior. it will ask that for every system that has any entry (including additional versions), assigned to something different than the default emulator. this gives users the ability to change the default emulator for all entries that have the default emulator assigned, while still leaving further customized entries untouched. or if desired, change literally everything, even the customized stuff, to the default.

for ex, I have several Mesen HD packs for NES games. Yet I use Retroarch nestopia core by default. if I go in and edit the Retroarch emulator, you don't even have to change anything, just click OK rather than the X or Cancel, it's going to ask those same questions but for Nintendo Entertainment System instead. This is because those games have Mesen as the default emulator rather than Retroarch.

I have custom stuff for a handful of platforms, so I see this any and every time I edit Retroarch, even if you don't edit one of those customized platforms.

14 hours ago, DaveC1964 said:

I am not sure why LB would check it on it's own

LB auto populates a lot of fields when you type in "Retroarch" into the emulator name field (might not even have to type it in, just going into and out of that field once it's filled in may still do this auto populate thing IIRC). One of them would be listing out all of the various platforms in Associated Platforms and by default, selecting them as the default emulator. This process would explain why Dolphin was added as an Associated Platform, as well as why it gets default emulator checked. Seems you missed unchecking it at some point as you obviously removed the default check mark for many other platforms.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:18 PM, skizzosjt said:

@DaveC1964 . Seems you missed unchecking it at some point as you obviously removed the default check mark for many other platforms.

I didn't uncheck they were not checked in the first place.  LB can be a bit confusing at times.  It works now though so that is what matters.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, skizzosjt said:

this gives users the ability to change the default emulator for all entries that have the default emulator assigned, while still leaving further customized entries untouched. or if desired, change literally everything, even the customized stuff, to the default.

Need to correct my previous comment here.  I had to use this feature tonight, and it did not work as I remembered, I got this wrong. LaunchBox only gives you one of two options here. Either update no games to the new default emulator, or update ALL games to the new default emulator, meaning, even customized game entries using non-default emulators. This is a crummy experience, as I now have a boat load of customized stuff to resetup....boo...hiss. (naw, In reality I'll just use a backup file ;)) This means the only way to change only games using the default emulator to newer default emulator while also leaving custom game entries alone that are using a non-default emulator is to bulk edit. But this would rely on the user to know exactly which games to edit. If you have a lot of stuff customized, this makes such an approach not feasible, because no one is going to remember all of them. The only other idea I have off the top of my head to help with that is using custom fields. Which means you also need to remember to update those when you change them. You could make a custom field called "Emulator" or "Assigned Emulator" , or something like that. And then sort by that to see what you got and edit away accordingly. I'm starting to see why so many users have asked for being able to search and/or sort by emulator. That addition would take care of this situation as well!