LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox is not saving my work.

Apparently i ended up in some kind of "The twillight zone" Scenario", Where weird things just keeps on happening with my setup of launchbox.

Yesterday i scanned for added roms for my NES collection, And from looking at the actual number of roms in game folder to looking at the display number in launchbox itself, I could see that about 35 roms were not imported.

But after the import i suddenly had more Games displaying in Launchbox than i had in my NES games folder, And there was no duplicates of roms imported. I found (after counting the amount manually, That the display count in Launchbox was wrong) Whaaat?

So i decided to delete all media for nes platform, And move my roms to another folder, And then reimport the whole collection again.

All roms succesfully imported with no metadata or media issues, And the display count in Launchbox was also correct, According to the number of roms in my Games folder.

But but but!; This morning i launched launchbox, And everything was reverted back to the setting before i choose to reimport everything, All my work is completely lost.

From what i can gather of imformation, it could very well be an issue with the XML files loading the wrong setup or something?

I find this very strange, If i work on my setup, It will just reset next time i launch Launchbox.

Hi Retro808

I have already tried to experiment a little with the XML files, Tried to remove the XML with the smallest size in hopes of Launchbox would somehow reafd the larger files (Which i suppose would contain the larger setup) LOL i really don't know to much about this.

There are 2 XML files for the Nintendo Entertainment system, 1 With the size of 1.56 MB, And 1 with the size of  3.01 MB.

What stand out for the rest of the platform XML files is 2 txt files for the Nintendo entertainment system called  " Nintendo Entertainment system missing serial.txt, These are the only txt files that have been generated in the folder.

It looks like this.

TwillightZoneSE120ep567.thumb.PNG.182dd3f60fb525d6b90c71c4548a5dea.PNG

Well that's the issue. 

1. Those txt files are not generated by LB. So whatever plugin or additional program you are using to probably scrape game meta is doing that. LB does not generate text files. I would open those files and see if it has a header field showing what generated it. 

2. The biggest issue is there should never been any additional paltform xaml or txt files in that folder. Those ones you labeled backup need to be store in a different folder. LB will attempt to read them that is why you are seeing issues. LB is getting confused. 

Move all those extra platform xaml and txt files out and you should see LB function correctly.  In the future leave that folder to LB and what it generates. You can make a sub folder in there to store backups and test files, but never directly in the \Data\Platforms folder. 

44 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Well that's the issue. 

1. Those txt files are not generated by LB. So whatever plugin or additional program you are using to probably scrape game meta is doing that. LB does not generate text files. I would open those files and see if it has a header field showing what generated it. 

2. The biggest issue is there should never been any additional paltform xaml or txt files in that folder. Those ones you labeled backup need to be store in a different folder. LB will attempt to read them that is why you are seeing issues. LB is getting confused. 

Move all those extra platform xaml and txt files out and you should see LB function correctly.  In the future leave that folder to LB and what it generates. You can make a sub folder in there to store backups and test files, but never directly in the \Data\Platforms folder. 

Um, Okay. I thought i was using Launchbox own scraper?. The only other scraper i have ever tried to use is a movie scraper (which didnt work) and deleted afterwards, And then emumovies sync utility.

I moved the text files and the backup XML, But it didnt seem to do anything. If i remove both, The NES platform will of course not show up at all.

Do you think it would work if i removed both XML files and the text, And then did a fresh reimport of the roms?

I have my whole setup on a WD 18TB external drive, And other than launcbox, I only have a file written to it, To prevent it from falling asleep, And a archive that contains the Neondeluxe font, What generates these text files is a damn mystery.

43 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Um, Okay. I thought i was using Launchbox own scraper?. The only other scraper i have ever tried to use is a movie scraper (which didnt work) and deleted afterwards, And then emumovies sync utility.

I moved the text files and the backup XML, But it didnt seem to do anything. If i remove both, The NES platform will of course not show up at all.

Do you think it would work if i removed both XML files and the text, And then did a fresh reimport of the roms?

I have my whole setup on a WD 18TB external drive, And other than launcbox, I only have a file written to it, To prevent it from falling asleep, And a archive that contains the Neondeluxe font, What generates these text files is a damn mystery.

Was LB closed when you removed the files? If not it needs to be. 

If it was, I would say close LB again, remove those files, then try a reimport. 

That Missing.Serial.txt is not something from LB. Sounds like something from a plugin. Look in your \Plugins folder and see what you have in there or if the 18TB is a preloaded drive maybe its from the builder. Not sure, but I know it is not anything LB generates.

delete the red ones. leave the green one. the NES one without backup in it is 3MB in size so should have some data it in. If it does not show up you may have 0 games linked to that platform. the old one is dated from 2018, kinda obvious which one is the new one.

image.png.f6e43d770557f232148a46208624351d.png

or if you want to go this route instead.....

9 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

yes, that's just starting that platform over

23 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

What generates these text files is a damn mystery.

per their date, got to think back to 2018 to figure that out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Was LB closed when you removed the files? If not it needs to be. 

If it was, I would say close LB again, remove those files, then try a reimport. 

That Missing.Serial.txt is not something from LB. Sounds like something from a plugin. Look in your \Plugins folder and see what you have in there or if the 18TB is a preloaded drive maybe its from the builder. Not sure, but I know it is not anything LB generates.

I know what the text files are now, LOL it's just a description og english translated roms and their checksum, It's probably from a archive containing translation patches (But why they are there?). will try reimporting tomorrow.

Thank's for taking your time to help me out.