LaunchBox Community Forums

Screen rotation options?

The Retro Carrot

I'm currently in the process of building a cabinet with a 240p screen on a rotation mechanism. I'm wondering if big box has any options to change themes on button press, or anything built in for rotation? I'm not finding anything in the settings or searching.

I'd like to use Big Box as I'm used to it and find it very user friendly, however this is a bit of a deal breaker if there is no support for this. If there are no built in options, does anyone have a solution they've come up with? 

There's at least one (if not a couple?) vertical theme you can find in the Downloads section here on forum.

In BigBox System MenuOptionsController Mappings (or maybe it's only in Keyboard Mappings?), you can bind a button to change Themes (there's also one to change View).  

1 hour ago, JoeViking245 said:

There's at least one (if not a couple?) vertical theme you can find in the Downloads section here on forum.

In BigBox System MenuOptionsController Mappings (or maybe it's only in Keyboard Mappings?), you can bind a button to change Themes (there's also one to change View).  

Thanks, that should be good enough for me, I can just bind it to one of my service buttons. It would be nice if I could have a hotkey select a specific theme without the submenu, but this will work well enough. 

• Game On 1

On 3/31/2024 at 1:06 AM, JemmyPaeg said:

Thanks, that should be good enough for me, I can just bind it to one of my service buttons. It would be nice if I could have a hotkey select a specific theme without the submenu, but this will work well enough. 

You can set a given platform/playlist to use the theme/view automatically so if the vert games are in their own section you don't really have to hop back and forth between themes. That being said your resolution could be an issue, most themes aren't really built with 240p in mind. They MAY work, but some may need tweaking.

Oh that's a good option, it'll be nice to have vert games in their own category anyways since it's not like I'll want to flip the screen every single game. I'll probably have to make my own theme I'd guess, not the end of the world. Though I'd imagine I'll end up turning that into a big project given how I end up down rabbit holes.

9 hours ago, JemmyPaeg said:

Oh that's a good option, it'll be nice to have vert games in their own category anyways since it's not like I'll want to flip the screen every single game. I'll probably have to make my own theme I'd guess, not the end of the world. Though I'd imagine I'll end up turning that into a big project given how I end up down rabbit holes.

There are I believe two vert themes in the download section so you could start from there if you wanted. FauxVert is one I made that is for horizontal monitors but displays vertical, sounds like you WON'T want that one if you're actually changing desktop orientation. TrueVert the name of the one I use on my vpin cab. Believe it was JaysArcade that made another one (which I actually use for my arcade games on my cab).