LaunchBox Community Forums

70 year old needs help

masterone2988

Hi all...thanks for allowing me here.

I am using the windows version 13.12 and linked it to retroarch

I have figured out how to add the roms and get games up to play

I loaded a Retro Roms "best" set from Internet Archive, and one of those zips was

That loaded up, and I think it scraped ok

When I go to one of the games, eg Donkey Kong Nintendo, I select play, and it is just displays 16 square boxes and numerical numbers, rather than any images.

Is this because it needs some sort of bios files for it to play?

I am also in the Retroarch System Files page, and downloading the full list of BIOS there.

After I have done that do I then have to insert all these bios folders somewhere in Launchbox to say get the above Donkey Kong Nintendo game to play?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, masterone2988 said:

Hi all...thanks for allowing me here.

I am using the windows version 13.12 and linked it to retroarch

I have figured out how to add the roms and get games up to play

I loaded a Retro Roms "best" set from Internet Archive, and one of those zips was

That loaded up, and I think it scraped ok

When I go to one of the games, eg Donkey Kong Nintendo, I select play, and it is just displays 16 square boxes and numerical numbers, rather than any images.

Is this because it needs some sort of bios files for it to play?

I am also in the Retroarch System Files page, and downloading the full list of BIOS there.

After I have done that do I then have to insert all these bios folders somewhere in Launchbox to say get the above Donkey Kong Nintendo game to play?

Thanks

Specifically which system are you referencing with Donkey Kong?  The arcade set, the Nintendo Entertainment System? Retroarch can play many systems so helps to know which one, and which core (actual emulator system within RA)? 

Lordmonkus.........Sorry about the link...I was using it as a reference only on my journey, not thinking about it being a link to send someone direct to roms...big apology

sundogak.....+Specifically I got a zip from within a pack of about 90 zips, that was simply known as Retro Roms Best set from Internet Archive. The particular zip was called Arcade Mama 2003 Plus. I unpacked it and loaded it via Launchbox, and every one of the games has this block look, as per image.

All the games are from different places, but as in photo, none play.

I'm assuming it may be bios related, and if so, I then have to figure how to fix that, and get those necessary files into Launchbox

Lastly, may I ask, I have been transferring my roms from a large folder on the desktop, and following the instructions of copying them to the LaunchBox games Folder. After I have done that, is ok to remove the original desktop location of the roms, so I can get more space back on the drive?

Thanks

nogo.jpg

like this.jpg

Ok this is pretty simple. You have the wrong core selected for the platform you have the games imported to. Change that to the mame2003plus core in the associated platforms window for your retroarch emulator in Launchbox.
Also make sure you don't have the extract roms box checked in edit emulator window for your retrorach entry as well. Arcade game roms for mame and fba for example need to remain zipped.

Thank you for the reply.

Not sure what all that means and I will try to google up a tutorial to ease me through it.

I am just trying to setup this for my 2 x 6 and 9 year old grand daughters.

I started out last week trying to do similar on an android amlogic S905W box I bought, but after I downloaded and installed EMUElec ,(seeing it on a retro search), the box then decided it won't boot anymore and is stuck...lost my money there hey?

I am trying to help myself where possible, but old eyes make it that little bit harder....... but the brain cells are trying.

I have something 50% there, so not too bad , so far, I guess.

Thanks