LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox using a lot of Ram and lagging

Hey everyone,

Launchbox has never run smoothly for me. I used to ignore this and thought it was, because my PC wasn't the fastest in the past. But now, I have for the first time bought a really powerful PC with a 14700k, 32GB of DDR5 Ram and a 4070Ti.

Still Launchbox runs terribly on my system (any system I ever owned) and I don't know why. I thought that maybe it's due to me having a lot of high quality images, but even if I set up LaunchBox completely freh and just copy over my Data Folder with no images whatsoever, Launchbox still uses between 4-5 GB of Ram. When caching images, it will even use over 10GB of Ram.

This screenshot was taken when using a Launchbox build with no images:

image.thumb.png.abac0d0302d877309b359061414bdd26.png

I do have an absuredly large LB build of over 300.000 entries (I also imported comic books and Flashpoint Ultimate, e.g.), but even if I reduce the number of imported games to 0, the RAM usage remains relatively high and the unresponsiveness stays.

This is with just one platform imported (SNES) and no images:

image.thumb.png.6551d5d75bb5e573f44bc6110e43cdf5.png

This next screenshot shows Launchbox runnning without any games imported (completely fresh):

image.thumb.png.c5d8e55b3144b969bf1bd5c0c92e9180.png

Plus the software is really unresponsive. If I make a change, like deleting a game, Launchbox will sometimes just freeze for a minute until I can use it again. Also, when exiting Launchbox, it will stay open in the task manager for 5-10 minutes until it actuall closes and can restart it again.

I have read many topics here in this forum and over on reddit where people had similar Ram issues with their systems. Has this issue every been identified?

I'm using the default Launchbox theme.

Edited by SiriusVI
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

Hey everyone,

Launchbox has never run smoothly for me. I used to ignore this and thought it was, because my PC wasn't the fastest in the past. But now, I have for the first time bought a really powerful PC with a 14700k, 32GB of DDR5 Ram and a 4070Ti.

Still Launchbox runs terribly on my system (any system I ever owned) and I don't know why. I thought that maybe it's due to me having a lot of high quality images, but even if I set up LaunchBox completely freh and just copy over my Data Folder with no images whatsoever, Launchbox still uses between 4-5 GB of Ram. When caching images, it will even use over 10GB of Ram.

This screenshot was taken when using a Launchbox build with no images:

image.thumb.png.abac0d0302d877309b359061414bdd26.png

I do have an absuredly large LB build of over 300.000 entries (I also imported comic books and Flashpoint Ultimate, e.g.), but even if I reduce the number of imported games to 0, the RAM usage remains relatively high and the unresponsiveness stays.

This is with just one platform imported (SNES) and no images:

image.thumb.png.6551d5d75bb5e573f44bc6110e43cdf5.png

This next screenshot shows Launchbox runnning without any games imported (completely fresh):

image.thumb.png.c5d8e55b3144b969bf1bd5c0c92e9180.png

Plus the software is really unresponsive. If I make a change, like deleting a game, Launchbox will sometimes just freeze for a minute until I can use it again. Also, when exiting Launchbox, it will stay open in the task manager for 5-10 minutes until it actuall closes and can restart it again.

I have read many topics here in this forum and over on reddit where people had similar Ram issues with their systems. Has this issue every been identified?

I'm using the default Launchbox theme.

The more you put into LB the slower it gets.

If you have 1 system (Arcade for instance) everything works fine.

You start adding more and more to that and it's ridiculously slow no matter what you do.

It's sad really that such a beautiful looking Frontend is spoilt by this and has never been rectified all these years later.

Example of Hyperspin/Rocketlauncher (i have 600 x systems on it) in comparison is night and day speed wise, because no matter how much you add it just keeps working at the same speed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, zugswang said:

The more you put into LB the slower it gets.

If you have 1 system (Arcade for instance) everything works fine.

You start adding more and more to that and it's ridiculously slow no matter what you do.

It's sad really that such a beautiful looking Frontend is spoilt by this and has never been rectified all these years later.

Example of Hyperspin/Rocketlauncher (i have 600 x systems on it) in comparison is night and day speed wise, because no matter how much you add it just keeps working at the same speed.

I have never used Hyperspin, but I do love Launchbox for its looks and versitility. Even the most complicated Computer Systems can be made to run automatically with scripts if you are willing to invest the time.

I have invested roughly 6 years in my build and I don't have the time or energy to start from scratch with another frontend. I'll stick to Launchbox / Bigbox and just hope that there will be a fix for this someday.

Edited by SiriusVI
  • Like 1

Moving Hyperspin to LB is a simple process, but doing the opposite (if you are not familiar with Hyperspin/RL) would be a nightmare.

Just telling you how it is as I have used both for 10+ years and literally have every system and every game there is.

Will the speed every improve on LB ? ..... Probably not as they would literally have to recode it from scratch to make necessary changes and somehow I can't see that happening.

• Like 2

I know a guy who works at NASA and he says that Launchbox doesn't work well on his work computer either...

Joking aside, it is a reality that Launchbox has VERY SERIOUS performance problems. This has always been the case and always will be because there is no hope that it will ever change. The developers' closed thinking on these issues does not give much hope that something will radically change in this frontend.

I have €50 Chinese portable consoles with more than 2000 roms installed that run faster than Launchbox on a latest generation PC... It's sad, but it's a reality.

I have commented on it on several occasions in the forum, of course without hope that my complaints would reach the ears of the "bosses" of this project, Launbox is far from being a state-of-the-art, top-level frontend.

Why do I still use Launchbox? Well, like the colleague who commented previously, I don't have the strength to start again from scratch to configure another frontend... but I don't rule out that in the future when I find something that is 50% similar to Launchbox and that its developers make Truly based on the needs of your community, I dare to take the leap into the future.

• Like 1