LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME - Update ROMs (v0.266 to v0.267) How To Please Help...

hey guys i have MAME - Update ROMs (v0.266 to v0.267) how do i go by to update Mame 2.66 rom set to Mame 2.67 rom set? 

I've seen a couple of tutorials but they seem confusing for some reason. maybe they don't explain it correctly. on the mame rom site is says,

If you already have a previous set, simply join the new set by pointing at the content of your previous set.
In order to reproduce the full sets with any Rom Manager, it’s highly recommended to use the published datfiles.)

I would just download an entire new set and delete your old set. It can get messy updating the roms.  Unless there is specific reason you want to update to 0.267,  I wouldn't do it.  From the notes from Mame, it doesn't look like anything big has been changed from the last set. 

19 minutes ago, tkssitch said:

I would just download an entire new set and delete your old set. It can get messy updating the roms.  Unless there is specific reason you want to update to 0.267,  I wouldn't do it.  From the notes from Mame, it doesn't look like anything big has been changed from the last set. 

i agree. but for a longtime i used a old version of mame. and i has issues with controllers bindingd getting erassed. when i finaly updated that was fixed. so it is worth it to update for sure. just dont know the process step by step.

wish it was easier.

The easiest way is to use a tool called TorrentCheck (particularly if using the PD sets).  Google as one word and should find the download. 

Let says you have existing complete set:  MAME 0.266 Software List ROMs (split)

I rename the directory by only changing the number for new set:  MAME 0.267 Software List ROMs (split)

It is critical to use same naming as torrent used or the torrent program won't check/join but will download the whole thing.  Then drag and drop into TorrentCheck your path to that 0.267 folder.  Drag and drop you torrent file for the new 0.267 pack (not DAT, the torrent file*).  Check  the boxes "delete wrong sized files" and "delete unneeded" along with "create backups" (always use this if mess up your originals can be restored back).  The utility will then remove anything that is no longer in the torrent. Using the "attempt to fix/rebuild" option helps if just a rename change (this can slow things down).  Once completed you will then join (do a recheck) the 0.267 torrent in your torrent download program and it will only download changed files vs doing the whole thing over.  It is far quicker than using clrmame pro and in essence is doing the same thing. Keeps the unchanged files.  Removes old stuff.  Download the deltas. 

*note that PD uses magnet links.  Using qbittorent I have torrent files set to be backed up.  If you start a "new" torrent using magnet it will after a minute or so download the torrent file to backup directory (basically when you see it start to download anything).  You can then use that file for TorrentCheck and later for downloading.  There are some magnet to torrent tools but I never could get them to work and this always works and adds maybe a 5 minutes of time (software list MAME is a complicated torrent file so takes longer for that one). 

Easiest way to update to new mame while keeping your settings (controller input files, ect...) is just move over these folders 📂 

Cfg

Ctrlr

Artwork (if your using bezels)

Ini 

Nvram

And your Mame.ini file

All those will be in root of your mame folder, basically drag and drop those into your new mame and click replace files.  

Far as launchbox goes just goto edit emulator and in the mame, just point to the new mame.exe

17 minutes ago, sundogak said:

The easiest way is to use a tool called TorrentCheck (particularly if using the PD sets).  Google as one word and should find the download. 

Let says you have existing complete set:  MAME 0.266 Software List ROMs (split)

I rename the directory by only changing the number for new set:  MAME 0.267 Software List ROMs (split)

It is critical to use same naming as torrent used or the torrent program won't check/join but will download the whole thing.  Then drag and drop into TorrentCheck your path to that 0.267 folder.  Drag and drop you torrent file for the new 0.267 pack (not DAT, the torrent file*).  Check  the boxes "delete wrong sized files" and "delete unneeded" along with "create backups" (always use this if mess up your originals can be restored back).  The utility will then remove anything that is no longer in the torrent. Using the "attempt to fix/rebuild" option helps if just a rename change (this can slow things down).  Once completed you will then join (do a recheck) the 0.267 torrent in your torrent download program and it will only download changed files vs doing the whole thing over.  It is far quicker than using clrmame pro and in essence is doing the same thing. Keeps the unchanged files.  Removes old stuff.  Download the deltas. 

*note that PD uses magnet links.  Using qbittorent I have torrent files set to be backed up.  If you start a "new" torrent using magnet it will after a minute or so download the torrent file to backup directory (basically when you see it start to download anything).  You can then use that file for TorrentCheck and later for downloading.  There are some magnet to torrent tools but I never could get them to work and this always works and adds maybe a 5 minutes of time (software list MAME is a complicated torrent file so takes longer for that one). 

Thank you for the fast reply. 

Ok I will have to try this out. I'll back up my files first then try this. It's much easier seeing a video of what your saying lol. But that seem way more simple than what these other videos I e been seeing. 

19 minutes ago, tkssitch said:

Easiest way to update to new mame while keeping your settings (controller input files, ect...) is just move over these folders 📂 

Cfg

Ctrlr

Artwork (if your using bezels)

Ini 

Nvram

And your Mame.ini file

All those will be in root of your mame folder, basically drag and drop those into your new mame and click replace files.  

Far as launchbox goes just goto edit emulator and in the mame, just point to the new mame.exe

Ok I think I get what your saying. But how do I get the latest version of make the way your saying? To go with the latest version on mame roms? 

There are two different things getting talked about here. One is updating rom set. Other is updating MAME executable install.  They are independent.   Generally speaking you should align your versions and romset but within several versions either direction where your MAME exe is newer than rom set  (i.e., using 0.267 MAME exe for a 0.266 rom set) the MAME planet will not stop revolving.  If get too carried away eventually things will break as the EXE will look for romset checksums that may not be present in older set (among many potential issues).  Hence better to keep in sync just to avoid potential issues.

Updating MAME install from 266 to 267 is easy.  Take the file here , open in 7zip, drag and drop all files to your MAME directory (Replace files when asks). You now have a 267 install. Your existing setup files remain. There are no settings files in that pack so your setup doesn't get overwritten.  It doesn't contain a MAME.ini, or do anything to existing NVRAM files or CFGs (other than default presets).  You don't need to move any folders as nothing user specific will be overwritten.  You also don't need to tell LB anything as you are using the same name for exe.  Same for artwork, the update folder is empty in the MAMEDev update file so doesn't make any changes to existing files when dumping a new MAME version onto older. 

For updating romsets you are either doing via CLR MAME Pro (or similar rom managers) or via TorrentCheck as discussed above. But each is separate from other.  One thing on torrentcheck method is the longest part of process is the recheck within your torrent client. Particularly for the software list packs. To give realistic example:  I just did update for 0.266 to 0.267 rom set.  It took about 10 minutes for Torrent Check portion (get torrent file, do TorrentCheck run.  But it took 20 minutes for the recheck process within Qbittorent.  The actual download of delta files was 5 minutes to make complete pack.  But only the first part requires your attention as rest is all auto. I generally avoid doing a recheck within client on the huge Software CHD as it takes a LONG time. 

26 minutes ago, sundogak said:

There are two different things getting talked about here. One is updating rom set. Other is updating MAME executable install.  They are independent.   Generally speaking you should align your versions and romset but within several versions either direction where your MAME exe is newer than rom set  (i.e., using 0.267 MAME exe for a 0.266 rom set) the MAME planet will not stop revolving.  If get too carried away eventually things will break as the EXE will look for romset checksums that may not be present in older set (among many potential issues).  Hence better to keep in sync just to avoid potential issues.

Updating MAME install from 266 to 267 is easy.  Take the file here , open in 7zip, drag and drop all files to your MAME directory (Replace files when asks). You now have a 267 install. Your existing setup files remain. There are no settings files in that pack so your setup doesn't get overwritten.  It doesn't contain a MAME.ini, or do anything to existing NVRAM files or CFGs (other than default presets).  You don't need to move any folders as nothing user specific will be overwritten.  You also don't need to tell LB anything as you are using the same name for exe.  Same for artwork, the update folder is empty in the MAMEDev update file so doesn't make any changes to existing files when dumping a new MAME version onto older. 

For updating romsets you are either doing via CLR MAME Pro (or similar rom managers) or via TorrentCheck as discussed above. But each is separate from other.  One thing on torrentcheck method is the longest part of process is the recheck within your torrent client. Particularly for the software list packs. To give realistic example:  I just did update for 0.266 to 0.267 rom set.  It took about 10 minutes for Torrent Check portion (get torrent file, do TorrentCheck run.  But it took 20 minutes for the recheck process within Qbittorent.  The actual download of delta files was 5 minutes to make complete pack.  But only the first part requires your attention as rest is all auto. I generally avoid doing a recheck within client on the huge Software CHD as it takes a LONG time. 

I definitely gotta try the torrent check method.  As it seems to be the fastest way just need to see it done 1 time to get it down right. 

28 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Also do I have to update the chd as well? Or just download that as in 0.266 to 0.267 is just 1 file ? Or does that have to be updated in the way you are talking about? 

1 minute ago, Truest1 said:

Also do I have to update the chd as well? Or just download that as in 0.266 to 0.267 is just 1 file ? Or does that have to be updated in the way you are talking about? 

Yeah for CHDs like you mentioned I "skip" steps as they are one big file vs roms with parts inside zip.  I use torrent check to make sure it is just that one file (or if they renamed it).  As just ran this, here was torrentcheck output showing I was missing that new file in my 266 version:

TorrentCheck v0.9e Report file
------------------------------

File check/size check:

File not found: "T:\Downloads\Complete\Torrent\MAME\MAME 0.267 CHDs (merged)\cuttherope\cuttherope.chd"

Correct files: (994/995) - Missing files: (1/995) - Wrong sized files: (0) - Successfully trimmed files: (0/0) - Deleted wrong sized files: (0/0)

Attempting to find missing/renamed files:

Fixed missing files: (0/1)

I just downloaded that one file directly and copied into my 267 CHD folder.  Did a quick recheck (as it checks the hash to make sure exact same file MAME expects) with TorrentCheck and came back complete. 

File check/size check:

Correct files: (995/995) - Missing files: (0/995) - Wrong sized files: (0) - Successfully trimmed files: (0/0) - Deleted wrong sized files: (0/0)

Unneeded files check:

Unneeded files: (0) - Unneeded directories: (0) - Successfully deleted files: (0/0) - Successfully deleted directories: (0/0)

Then you don't have to bother with slowest step which is the rehash check in your torrent client.  For CHDs that is easiest as long as you keep a relatively recent version as they don't tend to add many version to version. 

33 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Yeah for CHDs like you mentioned I "skip" steps as they are one big file vs roms with parts inside zip.  I use torrent check to make sure it is just that one file (or if they renamed it).  As just ran this, here was torrentcheck output showing I was missing that new file in my 266 version:

File check/size check:

File not found: "T:\Downloads\Complete\Torrent\MAME\MAME 0.267 CHDs (merged)\cuttherope\cuttherope.chd"

Correct files: (994/995) - Missing files: (1/995) - Wrong sized files: (0) - Successfully trimmed files: (0/0) - Deleted wrong sized files: (0/0)

I just downloaded that one file directly and copied into my 267 CHD folder.  Did a quick recheck (as it checks the hash to make sure exact same file MAME expects) with TorrentCheck and came back complete. 

File check/size check:

Correct files: (995/995) - Missing files: (0/995) - Wrong sized files: (0) - Successfully trimmed files: (0/0) - Deleted wrong sized files: (0/0)

Unneeded files check:

Unneeded files: (0) - Unneeded directories: (0) - Successfully deleted files: (0/0) - Successfully deleted directories: (0/0)

Then you don't have to bother with slowest step which is the rehash check in your torrent client.  For CHDs that is easiest as long as you keep a relatively recent version as they don't tend to add many version to version. 

I see.  Bro you need to make a video on how you do it step by step. I really need to see this step by step. 

1 hour ago, sundogak said:

File check/size check:

File check/size check:

Unneeded files check:

What's the difference between merged and non merged? Does one have more games than the other? 

6 hours ago, Truest1 said:

What's the difference between merged and non merged? Does one have more games than the other? 

non-merged: contains all that is necessary for a given game to run in one ZIP file. Parent contains all needed and the clone contains all needed. 

merged: has parent set and one or more clone sets merged inside the parent. 

image.png.d0b77e1da0c4168b9419a5306aae4fde.png