LaunchBox Community Forums

MS-DOS 3D Boxes 1.0.2

(2 reviews)

10 Screenshots

About This File

Hi all,

This is my collection of MS-DOS 3D big boxes I created for my eXoDOS set.  It’s a mix of both US and European boxes, basically everything I could find.  Enjoy!

What's New in Version 1.0.2   See changelog

Released

Hi all,

This will be my final update to this set.  This update pack contains over 1200 more 3D boxes of varying degrees of quality.  It has taken me an insane amount of time to source and put these boxes together, and while there are still quite a lot in here that would benefit with additional clean up work, I've decided that I need to stop and leave this to someone else with better Photoshop skills then me to do.

enjoy!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

So I used to play this weird game when I was a kid that had Star Wars droids, and there was some kind of factory where you had to make sure they were assembled correctly, or something like that. I've been searching for the name of that game for years, and nobody knew what I was talking about; no one had ever heard of a game like that from the early 90s. I started to think that I was going crazy, that I had never played such a game, but I held out hope. We're talking fifteen, twenty years I've been trying to crack this.

I download this image set, and there are a lot of images for games here that I don't have in my library; naturally, I start going through it, image by image, deleting the files I don't need. And then I see it.

"Night Shift", by LucasArts, 1990.

Holy. Shit.

I'm not lying when I say that my heart literally skipped a beat. I sat there, slackjawed, staring at this box for this game I've been searching for, for a good ten seconds, without taking a breath. I took it all in - my eyes going over every inch, thinking to myself, "Is this real?" And it is. It really exists.

So thank you for this pack, for that image alone.

• Like 3
  • Game On 1

38 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

These look awesome, great work! Were there many that you couldn't find cover art for? 

The description says "basically everything I could find."
eXoDOS 4.0 has 7000 games, half of it is Homebrew for which no cover art exists to begin with, this set has 732 pictures, out of 3500 retail games.  
I think that answers the question...  

very nice boxes indeed, much appreciated, i just wish MS DOS or PC games in general had been as well preserved as all the console stuff.

Yes, this set barely scratches the surface of DOS games in the eXoDOS collection.  I’m currently working on an update pack now which should be ready to go soon.  It’s finding scans of the box spines, or photo’s I can use to recreate the spines in Photoshop, which is the real problem.

One of the best 3D boxes collection I've ever seen. I really like the authentic look with all those "imperfections" kept in place, like small tear and wear, stickers etc. Perfect nostalgia from the time where boxes looked really cool all around. Sometimes even better than the game itself :D

I wouldn't mind seeing some commodore (Amiga) 3D boxes this way ;)

4 hours ago, kurzih said:

One of the best 3D boxes collection I've ever seen. I really like the authentic look with all those "imperfections" kept in place, like small tear and wear, stickers etc. Perfect nostalgia from the time where boxes looked really cool all around. Sometimes even better than the game itself :D

I wouldn't mind seeing some commodore (Amiga) 3D boxes this way ;)

Thanks!  Yeah I definitely want to do a big box Amiga set if I ever get done with working on these DOS boxes.

I hope you find more box covers because this is really great (wish it had the Mortal Kombat games). Decent resolution as well. So many other sets are ruined by being really low res, so they look like crap on a 4K display.

Check out a browser addon called RevEye, it might help you find some more scans/photos. It's very useful for finding stuff like this.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, PoloniumRain said:

I hope you find more box covers because this is really great (wish it had the Mortal Kombat games). Decent resolution as well. So many other sets are ruined by being really low res, so they look like crap on a 4K display.

Check out a browser addon called RevEye, it might help you find some more scans/photos. It's very useful for finding stuff like this.

Thanks!  All 3 Mortal Kombat games have been done and will be out on the next update.  I'll give RevEye a go as finding good media is always a pain.

• Like 1

just FYI:  
i tried that RevEye plugin thing and i think it randomly hijacks the regular google search and redirects to the yahoo search, not 100% positive if it was that add on, but i don't remember adding anything else to chrome or windows recently.  
Some Anti Malware tool (not malware bytes) even detected the hijacking entry and removed it, so far i did not see yahoo again.  

again, not 100% sure if it was this plugin, but if anybody else suddenly gets redirected to yahoo, now you know what's what.

41 minutes ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

just FYI:  
i tried that RevEye plugin thing and i think it randomly hijacks the regular google search and redirects to the yahoo search, not 100% positive if it was that add on, but i don't remember adding anything else to chrome or windows recently.  
Some Anti Malware tool (not malware bytes) even detected the hijacking entry and removed it, so far i did not see yahoo again.  

again, not 100% sure if it was this plugin, but if anybody else suddenly gets redirected to yahoo, now you know what's what.

Did you get it from the official Chrome Web Store? Because all submitted extensions are scanned and checked for malware and hijacking, so it seems unlikely it's RevEye. I've also used it for years on multiple browsers/devices and never had anything like that...

Edited by PoloniumRain

38 minutes ago, PoloniumRain said:

Did you get it from the official Chrome Web Store?

yepp, but as i've said i'm not sure it is just a guess since i can't remember anything else i've installed (doesn't mean i didn't ...it's just the old, try to remember what you screwed around with 3 days later) and this plugin already screws around with search engines inside Chrome so it isn't thaaaat far of a stretch. But most likely just coincidence, either way it's cleaned up now, i just thought i post this here just in case somebody else has the same problem.

It's a shame it didn't work out for you, it's sooo useful for this stuff. There's other similar extensions where you can right click on an image and search for similar/matching images, but none i've found that are quite as good as RevEye.

Edited by PoloniumRain

18 hours ago, PoloniumRain said:

Any rough idea when the next update will be ready? :)

BTW i've attached a box i made for FX Fighter if you'd like to use it.

FX Fighter.zip 1.14 MB · 1 download

I've decided to hold off until I have enough for one final big update.  I have around 400 more completed, and I would expect it'll take me another 3 or 4 weeks worth of work before I'm ready to release them all. 

• Like 3

1200 ... wow, i did not expect THAT many anymore.  

So, did you do anything else during the lockdown or have you just been slaving away on this this the entire time?  

I looked through all of them quickly,

i found a broken one: 
Supreme Warrior.png
it is like two different half transparent boxes over each other and one is like a triangle box, everything else looks fine.

Edited by Z3R0B4NG

40 minutes ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

1200 ... wow, i did not expect THAT many anymore.  

So, did you do anything else during the lockdown or have you just been slaving away on this this the entire time?  

I looked through all of them quickly,

i found a broken one: 
Supreme Warrior.png
it is like two different half transparent boxes over each other and one is like a triangle box, everything else looks fine.

That's been the benefit of "working" from home these past 5 months.  Supreme Warrior is not broken, it's how the game came.

Supreme-Warrior-Gioco-Pc-Mac-Big-_57.jpg

Nice update!! Been looking forward to this and it has everything i wanted. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Can i ask a favour... You must now have a ton of image scans for all these boxes, so would it be possible to upload them? Not necessarily on here but anywhere you like, and then post or message me the link? Because at some point i might make my own boxes but entirely modelled and textured in 3D, so that the lighting can be very realistic but also videos and animated GIF/PNG images could be made of the boxes rotating. IF i ever do it then obviously i'll credit you and share them on here.

I'll share what I have, but it's not a lot I'm afraid.  I've deleted a huge amount as it was just a big disorganised mess of unnamed images.  My method was to cut out the image, create the 3D box, then do any clean up work on the completed box, discarding the rest.  Most of this pack was created from ebay photo's, so there's probably not a lot that's useful for a project such as yours.

• Thanks 1