LaunchBox Community Forums

Retrotastic [Theme Stream] 3.6

(2 reviews)

9 Screenshots

About This File

Retrotastic was built during a Theme Stream broadcast. If you are interested in creating themes, follow me on Twitch, or watch the videos later on YouTube.

A Catalog of past Theme Streams can be found on the forums here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/54760-retro-faerans-theme-stream-big-box-theme-creation/

This theme only works on version 10.15 and above due to its reliance on some new bindings!

Retrotastic

I recreated my Retrotastic theme in the theme creator. This was an ambitious project, but one that was well worth it. It still has all the fun of the original theme, with over 150 platform specific backgrounds and a plethora of game specific backgrounds and graphics to play around with. This brings the theme up to a new, modern standard that includes many performance benefits. I also managed to tweak the views here and there to make the theme snappier. Please enjoy this new version, along with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator project files for you to play around with and create your own version of my theme.

Game1-1.thumb.PNG.9811a27fe1ff6e6d53af93b526360bbf.PNG
Watch this theme being built:

Instructions

• Retrotastic - Theme.zip - BigBox theme. Place extracted folder in your LAUNCHBOX\Themes folder
  • Retrotastic - COMMUNITY Project files.zip - Creator Project files. Place extracted folder in your COMMUNITY\My Theme Projects folder

Documentation

Don't forget to pick up Scratcher amazing game media packs for Retrotastic. These packs really brings this theme to life:

Credits
COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
My Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q
-----------
Faeran - Coding of the theme, many of the platform/playlist backgrounds, pixel ESRB icons, and the pixel genre icons
Broskiplays - Creating the idea for this project, along with many platform/playlist backgrounds
Harryoke - Creating many platform/playlist backgrounds, the platform background video, options background, and many other various videos/images
Nyny77 - Creating platform/playlist backgrounds, along with the use of his extensive collection of platform logos
GreatLemon - For creating some of the pixel genre icon graphics

What's New in Version 3.6   See changelog

Released

• Boxes in all views will now use the 3D Box Model and can be rotated.
  • The Game Details menu will now remain open at all times
  • The TV Title will no longer appear when in the Game Details menu
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

23 hours ago, Jaybra said:

Yes I am talking about the boxart

sorry about the convoluted response 

your theme is the best one on here in my opinion

do you have a copy of the old version of retrotastic with the stars in the top left corner and the scrolling synopsis in the TV Screen? that was my favorite and it's not on here anymore I would really appreciate if if you could DM me a copy if you have one.

thanks for your reply

I may have a copy of the old theme around somewhere. However, the theme itself wouldn't work, as it relied on a plugin that is now outdated and will give an error if you try to run it.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, faeran said:

I may have a copy of the old theme around somewhere. However, the theme itself wouldn't work, as it relied on a plugin that is now outdated and will give an error if you try to run it.

It would work if i used an older version of LB though is that correct? id really appreciate a copy if you could find it.

1 hour ago, Jaybra said:

It would work if i used an older version of LB though is that correct? id really appreciate a copy if you could find it.

Just checked and unfortunately it doesn't look like I have a copy that old.

Just noticed Retrotastic has been updated, and I'm excited to check it out! 

Question -- will old game artwork still work in the new version?  I created quite a few.

Thanks for your efforts!

R

2 hours ago, alnyden said:

Just noticed Retrotastic has been updated, and I'm excited to check it out! 

Question -- will old game artwork still work in the new version?  I created quite a few.

Thanks for your efforts!

R

All custom artwork works with this version. Folder locations are different, just make sure you look at the new locations.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, faeran said:

All custom artwork works with this version. Folder locations are different, just make sure you look at the new locations.

Gotcha, I see how it works now, thanks for the reply.

Also, please take a look at the bitbucket request below.  Basically I suggest the option to select "Theme Video" or "Video Snap" be included in the new Theme Options menu.  I think this is really useful for Retrotastic specifically, since the game artwork is often included in the background, and then it's doubled up in the theme video. So for those platforms it would be great to just use the gameplay video.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/5757/feature-enhancement-add-theme-video-vs

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, Boomerps2 said:

Is it possible to disable scanlines in the platform menus?

If you are referring to the scanlines on the game views, you'll just need to delete or rename the following file:

• LaunchBox\Themes\Retrotastic\Media\Theme\scanlines.png

is it possible to have an updated version for the community files? i'd like to make some changes like adding completion checks to the game selection menu, but some of the wheels are obsolete as are some of the graphics.

1 hour ago, benmoot said:

is it possible to have an updated version for the community files? i'd like to make some changes like adding completion checks to the game selection menu, but some of the wheels are obsolete as are some of the graphics.

Yeah, this version is getting old, so will probably require an older version of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator to work properly. I'll see what I can do about updating the project files.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, benmoot said:

I've updated the project files to the most recent version. Let me know if you run into any issues with loading it into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator.

1 hour ago, faeran said:

I've updated the project files to the most recent version. Let me know if you run into any issues with loading it into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator.

thank you! i will try it out later today.

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the community creator. Is there an easy setting or an easy way to make it so there is no fade in this theme? Like when your scrolling on the list of games or platforms is there a way to just make the video play behind the icons/list instead of it fading out? I love this theme, but I hate how the lists fade out every couple seconds if I don't keep scrolling.

is it possible to have an updated version for the community files? 3.6

Edited by narubox

On 5/7/2023 at 5:35 AM, narubox said:

is it possible to have an updated version for the community files? 3.6

I'm not sure when I can get around to it, but I have it on my list to take a look at eventually.