LaunchBox Community Forums

New LaunchBox Platform Image Collection Thread

Jason Carr

Im sorry for annoying you yet again bd000 could you please do images maybe similar to the arcade for Capcom and ScummVM if possible am loving all you images they are really well done and look fantastic even using them as fanart for the background for each platform. I think Jason should add a setting maybe called platform background so that we can use your images as a background to each platform in Launchbox, then the fanart could be used primarily for show under each platform in BigBox mode. again thanks in advance bd.

You're not annoying me, don't worry. Here is ScummVM:
Spoiler
SummVM-a.jpg
I already did the Capcom Play System Images with the arcade template. They should be in this thread somewhere. I have uploaded all the images to Dropbox. I will still upload all images here, but Dropbox just makes them easier to browse and find what you're looking for. Here is the LINK. Also, I found another one that I didn't upload... Intellivision:
Spoiler
Intellivision-b.jpg

Wow! So much amazing work and I've been completely out of the loop. Sorry about that, I got hit by a nasty version of a cold. Hit hard! Even after returning to work I had to stay home again today. I want to help, is there anywhere I can start or do you mind if I observe quietly for another day or two before butting my head in again ;)

portachking said Wow! So much amazing work and I've been completely out of the loop. Sorry about that, I got hit by a nasty version of a cold. Hit hard! Even after returning to work I had to stay home again today. I want to help, is there anywhere I can start or do you mind if I observe quietly for another day or two before butting my head in again ;)
I am pretty much done here, now I will just fulfil any requests. Feel free to create your own set and share it. I encourage it. Not everyone will like what I have shared, so the more variety the better.

@bd00, thanks for all your excellent work. Not to push you, but since @portachking is asking, the next thing that would be nice to have is clear logo images for all the platforms. You can take a look at the ones I've included for GameCube, NES, SNES, MS-DOS, Windows, Atari 2600, etc. They show up on the top of the games list when you load one of those platforms in Big Box Mode. They can be tricky to create, because some platform logos work great as-is, but some need some tweaking. I've found that in a lot of cases using a white Stroke effect in Photoshop really helps. We also want to make sure they're relatively big, 100% clean, and just look good in the app, which is part of the challenge. Any help there would certainly be appreciated. But of course, everyone does better work when they work on what *they* want to work on, so by no means should anyone feel like they need to do just that.

Ahh, I wish you told me this earlier. It is a bank holiday today in the UK and the boy was at his grandparents all day. I could of banged most of them out. Never mind though, I got some other things done that I have been neglecting recently. I will work my way though them this week. What are the image dimensions? It will probably be best to set some limitations if you haven't already. I'm guessing you get problems with the dark background of BB, that is why you add a stroke? Will you be adding theme options to BB in the future? Because you might also get issues with light backgrounds. Best to know now and account for it. @portachking You want in? @scree You want in?

:) Yeah, we will be providing some sort of theme options eventually, but honestly I think having a dark background will stick. You're sort of crazy if you want an in-your-face white and bright experience. I don't see the concept of light text on a dark background changing much. As for dimensions, I have been making them as big as I can, basically as big as the original image source allows. This way they can be used as backgrounds too, if desired, eventually. The aspect ratio works better though, of course, when they are wider than they are taller. I should also note that they should all be 24-bit transparent PNG images. Yes, the stroke is because, for example, the red of the SNES logo is too hard to read against the background. This is unfortunately common. Awesome to hear you're hopping on board, @bd00. Thanks a million.

@portachking Excellent Smile I have started working through them and I have done A to D. Maybe you could start from the bottom and work your way up. So Z, Y, X, etc. etc. Here are a few more platform banners:
Spoiler
Desura-a.jpg Desura-b.jpg iOS-b.jpg MacOS-c.jpg
Here are the clear logo's A to D:
Spoiler
Acorn-Archimedesl.png Acorn-Electron.png Amstrad-CPC.png Android.png Apple-iOS.png Apple-MacOS.png Arcade.png Atari-400-800-xe-xl.png Atari-2600.png Atari-5200.png Atari-7800.png Atari-Jaguar.png Atari-Jaguar-CD.png Atari-Lynx.png Atari-ST.png Atari-XEGS.png Bandai-WonderSwan.png Bandai-WonderSwan-Color.png BBC-Micro.png Browser-Games.png Capcom-CPS1.png Capcom-CPS2.png Capcom-CPS3.png ColecoVision.png Commodore-64-a.png Commodore-64-b.png Commodore-Amiga.png Crystal-System.png Desura.png

Superb! I've already started and have a few clear logos that fall between A-D. Our crossover is pretty large, though I think I have a nicer Atari 2600 one that I'll share. I'm learning a few tricks in photoshop to eliminate the white haze that Jason has going on in his samples. Hopefully I'll be able to do something about that. I'll experiment and post over the next few days! Is there a platform list somewhere I can use as a point of reference?

I added a platform list here. Yeah, I have been trying to avoid having to put a white outline around everything. Confused That reminds me, @Jason can you test the Atari 2600 & 5200 I did above and let me know if the effect works. Also, would it be at all possible to get a sample background, one that causes you the biggest problems, the worst you can find. Thanks. It doesn't matter that we have crossed path's, two options are better than one. Smile However, it is probably best you start at the opposite end as me as it seems a little counterproductive to both be doing all the same images. Smile