LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox encountered and error

Doc

Hello, I just installed LaunchBox v2.9 and configured it to run 2 programs for my parents. Everything was working great and then I went to delete out the Demos as my parents aren't interested in them. When I ran the program again... I now encounter this error and can no longer use the program. System.ArgumentException: Column 'ReleaseDate' does not belong to table Game. at System.Data.DataRow.GetDataColumn(String columnName) at System.Data.DataRow.IsNull(String columnName) at LaunchBox.DataManager.Load() at LaunchBox.MainForm..ctor() at LaunchBox.Program.Main() Let me know what I can do to help... It was nice when it was working :) Thanks

Thanks, Doc, good find. I've fixed the error and I'll be putting out a new version later today. Otherwise, it looks like to get past the error you can start over with a new install (or just delete the LaunchBox.xml file), start LaunchBox, delete the demo games, close LaunchBox, and then it should work for whatever you want to do when you load it back up. Thanks again for the report; sorry for the trouble.

• 4 months later...
I am getting a similar error in 2.16. I can no longer open Launchbox. I tried to launch a game and it crashed my whole system, I had to do a hard reset because nothing at all was responding. Now when I try to start Launchbox I get the following error: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent() at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, Boolean denyResolving) at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(String fileName) at LaunchBox.DataManager.Load() at LaunchBox.MainForm..ctor() at LaunchBox.Program.Main(String[] args) I tried running the 2.16 install exe again, hoping to fix any damaged files, but it did not work. What can I do? Thanks :-)

Hey bd, sorry to hear and sorry for the delay in my response. Unfortunately it sounds like your LaunchBox.xml file must have gotten corrupted when the game crashed your system. Did you happen to have a backup of it? Running the install again over the top of your previous installation won't fix a corrupted LaunchBox.xml file. You'll need to either delete the LaunchBox.xml file or install into a new folder. Unfortunately, though, you'll probably have to start your collection over unless you have a backup of the LaunchBox.xml file. It'd probably be a good idea to have LaunchBox automatically make backups of that file; I'll look to add that feature.

Hi, Don't worry about delay, I'm sure you're very busy. I ended up deleting the LaunchBox.xml file and starting again, i didn't have a backup unfortunately :-/ but I do now :-) The auto-backup sounds like a good idea.

Actually, I did notice all the original images were still there and when adding the games the second time, a new folder was created and all the images were downloaded again creating duplicates. Maybe this could be made more efficient, so when adding games that were scraped previously, they can be linked to the original downloaded artwork. This would save users time and bandwidth. *for those without a backup*

• 5 years later...
22 minutes ago, Dre63 said:

“An error occurred while trying to launch the game: the specified executable is not a valid application for this os platform “

what I did wrong, please help ..I’m running w10

What game were you trying to launch? Did you confirm the path in Launchbox to the game file is correct?

I don’t know much about this but 3 years ago I bought a hard drive with a lot of games i installed in 2 different computers and they still work on big box but yesterday I installed them in a different computer and that is the message I’m getting, games are unplayable...so I don’t know what I did wrong this time 

7 minutes ago, Dre63 said:

I don’t know much about this but 3 years ago I bought a hard drive with a lot of games i installed in 2 different computers and they still work on big box but yesterday I installed them in a different computer and that is the message I’m getting, games are unplayable...so I don’t know what I did wrong this time 

Well if you installed them on a different computer than likely the path names are different. You will need to update all the paths in Launchbox. Unfortunately if you paid someone for a drive full of games we do not provide support for things like that. We do not support rom sellers nor provide support for their set-ups.

If you want to use those roms and set everything up fresh we can assist there.