LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature Request - Backdrop Tint

bd00

How about adding a tint to background (fan art) images? I can't use fan art images as a backgrounds because the screen is just too difficult to look at when full of games. Adding a black tint makes it much easier on the eyes. It makes them less distracting while retaining the immersive experience. Examples: Original (How it looks now)
Spoiler
screenshot-001.jpg
Black Tint (Maybe too dark in this example. You would probably need to let the user set the opacity anyway)
Spoiler
screenshot-002.jpg
Blur (a blur improves it too)
Spoiler
screenshot-003.jpg
Tint & Blur Combo (A combination of both allows a lower opacity)
Spoiler
screenshot-004-1.jpg
LaunchBox Default Overlay (using the default LB background image as an overlay, gives a nice effect while also serving a purpose)
Spoiler
screenshot-006-1.jpg

I like the darken option a lot actually. I'm not sure about the blur honestly. Maybe we can test a few settings but I don't think it should be another setting. Unless Jason were to create a new UI section, especially when themeing becomes an option, I can see it being worked in to that but otherwise...

SentaiBrad said I like the darken option a lot actually. I'm not sure about the blur honestly. Maybe we can test a few settings but I don't think it should be another setting. Unless Jason were to create a new UI section, especially when themeing becomes an option, I can see it being worked in to that but otherwise...
No need to create a whole new menu section, that is a little extreme. I was thinking just a text box labeled something like 'Tint (0 - 100%)', next to the two tick boxes for 'use fan art' and 'use clear logo'. The user enters a percentage. Default zero (no tint). Simple, obvious and effective. I know your trying to cut down on options, but this would really need an option anyway and you also need to be careful not to go too far towards the opposite extreme and have almost zero configurability, especially when it comes to the "look and feel" elements. Besides your looking into themeing which will be way more complex for the user to set up than what we are talking about here. I am all for the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach your taking here, but I also think you can take it too far.
Vinicius256 said I think this is a important feature to implement, pretty useful and looks great, it could even make the blown-up boxart option look better, as there are various games on thegamesdb that have blocky/low quality/small resolution front covers Smile
I agree, I think this is an important one too. Without it, it renders the fan arts almost useless or a, "oh cool, I can do that! ... OK I can't deal with this I'm going to turn it off, nice that its an option though. Even though I will never use it." type feature. I see where your going with box arts, nice idea.

Agreed, bd, I've actually planned on adding that but it kept slipping (and I don't think it made it onto the list). It absolutely does make sense to allow darkening the background; thanks for the reminder. I've added it to my list. I like the default background with the image thing too, that's neat. Might be a performance issue though, not sure.

Jason Carr said Agreed, bd, I've actually planned on adding that but it kept slipping (and I don't think it made it onto the list). It absolutely does make sense to allow darkening the background; thanks for the reminder. I've added it to my list. I like the default background with the image thing too, that's neat. Might be a performance issue though, not sure.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. You could probably reduce the quality of the default image quite significantly for the overlay, without affecting the overall quality (since it is only partly visible) which may help. Is it a tile?

Jason Carr said Agreed, bd, I've actually planned on adding that but it kept slipping (and I don't think it made it onto the list). It absolutely does make sense to allow darkening the background; thanks for the reminder. I've added it to my list. I like the default background with the image thing too, that's neat. Might be a performance issue though, not sure.
this will be good, because this will not only give a signature look to the backgrounds and also reduce the contrast/sudden difference in background(brightness and color)during transitions form one game to another . and also you could let the users adjust the darkening .