LaunchBox Community Forums

Dolphinbar compatibility controllers and dolphin (refurbished/genuine/3rd party ??)

MultipleX

Guys, is any clear description what wii motion controllers are compatible with the dolphinbar (refurbished/genuine/3rd party)? (I want to buy one , now that i have my HTPC/Bigbox ready, and i have read many stories that bought 3rd party Wii motion controller and it didn't work) Is anyone bought genuine or 3rd party Wii motion controller and it was working with the dolphin? Do i have to buy a first party wii motion controller to make it work? After a research on the forums and Reddit, i couldn't find any clear answer about it , and i believe many people have the same question Thanks!Wink

The Dolphin forums (make sure you're on the correct site, they changed at one point) have threads on this. I've browsed over there in the past and remember seeing them. The only USB controllers I use in Dolphin are my RetroLink USB Gamecube controller and my PS4 controller. If a game has basic motion like shake or waggle, I just map the button somewhere. Otherwise I just play my modded Wii, its honestly very easy to do and you can do the entire operation for about $200-250 depending on the price of parts. Wii (can get them used for a decent price now), an external HDD (I've got a 1TB for Gamecube and Wii games), and a 32GB SD card. Class 10 cards severely dropped in price. Make sure if you are interested in going the real Wii way that you do not get the Wii mini revision that they released. It does't come with Gamecube ports for anything. Besides that, no SD card slot so you can not mod it.

Dolphin can render at a much higher resolution than Wii :) I had a Dolphin Bar at one point, but it didn't play nice with my existing bluetooth dongle, so I sold it. Now I just use a cheap USB-powered IR bar I got on eBay, and I connect a Wiimote via bluetooth. It works great! I know that you can't connect the newer Motion Plus controllers via straight bluetooth, but I believe the Dolphin Bar supports them. I never bothered since I don't play any games that require it.

Just because it can, doesn't mean it will. It is still far from perfect. The other inherent problem is that the controller is more or less a gimmick. You'll get away with an Emulator for a lot of stuff, but not everything. The Bluetooth and USB IR Sensors are actually shocking when I had learned about it several years ago, but not too surprising. It's fairly basic tech if I recall. One of the things I love about PCSX2 is the internal resolution upscaler's, but my PS2 still plays a lot of my favorite games perfectly. No denying that PCSX2 looks better and its compatibility has been better than its ever been. I also personally think a modded console can go way farther than an emulator, and I am taking in to consideration the upscaling that is possible. Dear god Mega Man 7 looks beautiful. Just to play your games in a decent environment without getting upset over small BS, it can still be desired. My point is to just not discount it out right. Hell I'm convinced my Dreamcast will play my games better for still a long time to come, sadly. As far as whats best to actually play the emulator. Most of the non-motion control based games work just fine with my PS4 controller. If there is a game, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that requires minimal amounts of shaking you can bind those to key's. I also already mentioned the USB GameCube controllers. One benefit I can have on my Wii that is shared with emulators is the fast load times. I love loading games off a HDD. xD

SentaiBrad said Just because it can, doesn't mean it will. It is still far from perfect. The other inherent problem is that the controller is more or less a gimmick. You'll get away with an Emulator for a lot of stuff, but not everything. The Bluetooth and USB IR Sensors are actually shocking when I had learned about it several years ago, but not too surprising. It's fairly basic tech if I recall. One of the things I love about PCSX2 is the internal resolution upscaler's, but my PS2 still plays a lot of my favorite games perfectly. No denying that PCSX2 looks better and its compatibility has been better than its ever been. I also personally think a modded console can go way farther than an emulator, and I am taking in to consideration the upscaling that is possible. Dear god Mega Man 7 looks beautiful. Just to play your games in a decent environment without getting upset over small BS, it can still be desired. My point is to just not discount it out right. Hell I'm convinced my Dreamcast will play my games better for still a long time to come, sadly. As far as whats best to actually play the emulator. Most of the non-motion control based games work just fine with my PS4 controller. If there is a game, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that requires minimal amounts of shaking you can bind those to key's. I also already mentioned the USB GameCube controllers. One benefit I can have on my Wii that is shared with emulators is the fast load times. I love loading games off a HDD. xD
Jason Carr said Yeah, I've had mixed luck with Dolphin emulation and Wiimotes. It works, but for me it never worked anywhere near as well as an actual Wii. They've got some impressive proprietary communication algorithms in the Wii that emulation hasn't been able to master yet.
Guys, you right about using the hardware/console rather that emulator but my roots/beliefs/ideas originated from a cult called "PC Master Race". So everything starts and ends to one and only, the PC!! :P. I am expecting more improvements from the dolphin emulator. Also this http://www.mayflash.com/Products/DANCEPADS/ , Dancepads for PC!! :P

DDR Dance pads for PC are nothing new. :P Now let me say, I love PC. I love it to death. I also love my consoles. I am just a person who loves video games and technology. There are situations, like motion controls, which are better suited on their original platforms. However, I also love being able to play older games to preserve the console and cart / disc so they won't get destroyed. I also love the ability to essentially get the best possible image out of an older game. It would be the equivalent to RGB outputs on a console without modding, special cables and a Framemeister which alone costs $300. I love beautiful pixels (see my Pixel Art series on my channel ;P). PC's are amazing, they can do a lot more than the console ever intended to do, but that doesn't mean you should throw them out with the bath water lock stock and barrel... I am on a roll today. There is something to be said for both, and both can live and co-exist. Another example, I LOVE my console JRPG's, I am ECSTATIC that my favorite JRPG series 'Tales of' Games are starting to come to Steam, so is Final Fantasy. I hope Dragon Quest is next from SE.

I just bought this one for $15 on Amazon hopefully it will work as a Nintendo Pad also. Thanks Multiplex I never would have even thought about getting one of these. I'm thinking of using it with a PC that I connect to my projector with a 12 ' outdoor blowup screen and having a little party in my nephews yard (can't use it at home my 4$$#0!3 neighbor always calls the cops on us and she is "connected" around town so it never goes well for us (so much for freedom)).

Every time I put up my projector the cops come its crazy first it was if it was after 10 PM based on their noise ordnance law. Then they started coming before then siting some nuisance law they have on the books. That was the only time that they gave me a ticket the other times it was just a warning. She had her lawyer write to our landlords (who happens to be my aunt and uncle) and threaten to sue them for our behavior, she has security cameras only on the side of the house we live on pointing at our steps and in our yard (which some how is legal in the freest society on Earth (he said sarcastically)). She is a nightmare we have actually had the mayor come here and ask us not to park in front of her house while at the same time admitting that he had no way to enforce it if we did (my pops told him what was what though) and she has personally pressed charges against my father and my brother (twice). We actually recently threaten to sue her and her lawyer on ground of harassment and slander. My brother actually goes to court with her on the 21st for the latest incident. My parents have lived here for over 15 years without any issues with any of the other neighbors but this lady is just crazy. The patrol man know that she is a pain in the ass but she knows the mayor and the lead detective (only detective in this one horse suburb) so their hands are tied or so they say so they don't come off like the bad guys. We are originally from a small city across the river from Philadelphia where if you have beef with the neighbors you work it out on your own no cops involved. I've never called the cops on anyone in my life.