LaunchBox Community Forums

Buying games from Amazon now requires Prime Membership

SentaiBrad

Yea, I don't now how I feel about it. I have Prime, so I love the benefits I get from it, like 20% off new games and accessories... but this might be a step too far? It's not every game, but they also don't define "High-profile" games. I wonder if it's a request from publishers.

I'm a member too and I've never had any issues with Amazon in my many dealings with them but there is just something not right about trying to force you into buying their subscription to get access to products. I thought basically if you are selling a product and the buyer wants to buy it and has money then you are supposed to sell it to them not try and extort them in to spending more money in order to buy the product.

Well it's like needing a Costco card to shop at Costco. Realistically, Prime is an insane value at less than $10 a month with all of the benefits you get. That said, I don't think Publishers would say "yea, restrict people from buying our games new!". There is something a bit creepy about it... but it's also only if you buy it from Amazon.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but Amazon has been systematically turning Prime from "a neat benefit you can get if you want", to "practically mandatory". Remember $25 Super Saver Shipping? Then again, considering they weren't profitable for a VERY long time, this could be their way of doing that.