LaunchBox Community Forums

Memotech MTX vintage home computer emulation

spycat

Hi folks. The Memu emulator is for anyone interested in exploring the Memotech MTX 500/512 home computers of the 1980's and their games. This emulator is command line based and has no GUI, although there are dedicated frontends for it, and I believe that MESS supports it. To use it with LaunchBox the 2 essential command line parameters are as follows -vid-win-big -snd-portaudio These 2 parameters set the screen size and sound and can be shortened to -v -s The screen size parameter can be replicated to create a screen size to suit your wishes. For example I use -vid-win-big -vid-win-big -vid-win-big to give a window that fits my display vertically. The default palette is used where games look like they did on a real MTX with a tv screen. If you include the following optional parameter you get a "richer" look to the colours in your games. -vid-win-hw-palette Launching a game with a COM or RUN extension will start the game. Launching a game with the MTX extension will wait at the MTX BASIC screen prompt where you need to type LOAD "" to start the game. The emulator comes with a range of MTX games. COM and RUN versions are in the Games folder and MTX ones are in the Tapes folder. This emulator is nowhere on a par with some emulators for contemporary platforms - no save (that I can see), no fullscreen etc, but it allows vintage MTX computing and gaming to be experienced. Some games use the Arrow keys to move and HOME is action, others use Z X # / and SPACE, and some games recognise both sets of keys, and a few have odd keys usually configurable. Here is a good site for information on the emulator and it's games. www.nyangau.org/memu/memu.htm And here is my emulator settings image and a sample gameplay image. Enjoy, I have.

I just added the Wiki guys. Potentially we could move this kind of stuff (including the emulator settings thread into the Wiki). There should be a new Wiki item in the menu at the top. The structure and everything is up for the discussion. I believe anyone with a forum login should be able to edit the wikis. You can create new sub-wikis inside the two wikis by clicking the Create New tab. Let me know if you think this is a good direction, or if we should just keep using the forums (and/or how it's working for you).