LaunchBox Community Forums

LB is trying to eat my CPU (using 18 - 37% at idle for LB only)

ps4isthefuture

Hey Jason, I remember a while back we had this issue before with LB randomly using 25% of my CPU before and it went away for awhile. I noticed with the last update that it has been happening nearly every time I open LB about 90% of the time. However now it fluctuates from a low of 18% and a high of 37%. Just though you ought to know, I could understand if I had a Intel Duo or Celeron but this is a 3.6Ghz 4-core OC to 4.2Ghz. I will keep you posted upon the release of the up coming releases if things change. I know and understand it's not easy to find the where the issue is coming from or what is causing it. All in good time.

Hi ps4, that's still something I want to solve. Can you send me your LaunchBox.xml file? Send it to jasondavidcarr at gmail dot com. Two things to try...try disabling game controller support completely, and try disabling the image cache, and let me know if you still see high CPU usage. Can't remember if you've already done that before.

I can attest to that as well, though I'm currently using an i3 dual core at 1.9 ghz on this laptop rather than my desktop. But my percentages are almost identical to ps4's. It never drops below 20% with controller enabled. I tried your suggestion to turn off controller support, and after restarting LB, that worked. The cpu usage will spike when you are using it, and drops quickly to 0 after minimizing it. So it looks like the having the controller enabled keeps the app active.

Outrider said I can attest to that as well, though I'm currently using an i3 dual core at 1.9 ghz on this laptop rather than my desktop. But my percentages are almost identical to ps4's. It never drops below 20% with controller enabled. I tried your suggestion to turn off controller support, and after restarting LB, that worked. The cpu usage will spike when you are using it, and drops quickly to 0 after minimizing it. So it looks like the having the controller enabled keeps the app active.
Yea, there is a nasty bug with the Controller being enabled that I came across several months ago. I don't want there to be a bug, but the fact it is happening more and more means that Jason now has reasonable cause to go and dig and fix it. I don't blame him at all for needing more people to say something though, cause now he has to go fix the controller implementation... which depending on how long that can take could take away from implementing and fixing up Big Box Mode. Either way, I am glad this fixes it for you for now.

Yea, still using CPU (15 - 22%) after turning controller support off and the RAM cache was always off. However I just noticed that LB continues to show as running in the Task Manager processes. Now I have to manually end the process. Not sure how long it has been doing that, didn't really look before.

ps4isthefuture said Yea, still using CPU (15 - 22%) after turning controller support off and the RAM cache was always off. However I just noticed that LB continues to show as running in the Task Manager processes. Now I have to manually end the process. Not sure how long it has been doing that, didn't really look before.
It can take a while to close down, even for me. I don't have poor performance anymore though so, they're not related. At least im fairly sure. Do you happen to have the Game Count turned on for the left pane? I am trying to run through a list of things I know can drag performance a bit. If you have 512mb of RAM to spare though, I do suggest that be on. It just helps Images load faster... unless LB in on an SSD in which case there may be minimal improvements.

ps4isthefuture said I do not have the numbers on in the left panel and I could use the 512MB but when I have it open it is already using 378MB straight off the get go. So just between Win 7, LB, and FF I'm sitting at 2.82GB of my 8, launch NBA 2k15 from LB and then add 3.8 more, so around the 6.6ish area.
I only have 6GB and I sometimes set LB to 1GB. Though... unless I am playing a 64bit Steam game, or a game where I set the exe as 4GB enabled, no one exe should take more than 2GB. 32bit exe limitation. So... I am generally ok at 512mb. I was just curious if the 512mb of RAM Cache made LB's performance better in the past.

Well, according to ps4, the controller is not the issue for him. So he's seeing something different. That's what I haven't been able to identify. With the controller issue, it's very important to note that it's only an issue *when the LaunchBox window is active*. It's still an issue I need to solve, but it won't affect CPU performance in games and such, because LaunchBox isn't active, so it's less of an issue than you might think. Still, I did tweak a few things to hopefully help performance with the controllers in the latest betas; let me know if you notice a difference. Honestly, I think we might be looking at a Windows GDI+ bug, where Windows insists on repainting regions of the display over and over again for no reason. If that's the case, it'll be really hard to solve, but obviously I need to do something.

Hi jason love the BigBox opening in new beta and have say Like the new way images are handled makes if a person wants to change their pixel size much easier on a per platform basis by copying either all fronts or fanart etc by copying them eg: search in say arcade type in front jpg, copy them to a folder and then resize with IrfanView as now dont have to wade through the mass of seperate folders lol. Cant report high cpu usage with LaunchBox tried with game running you'll see LaunchBox cpu usage low cpu-use.jpg This is cpu usage with using controller shrank LaunchBox and constantly used controller schrolling up and down through platforms and games took a screenshot of resource monitor while doing it see image cpu-usage-using-control.jpg As you can see while playing a game LaunchBox stays just over 5 while the Emulator itself is the cpu hog but that has nothing to do with Launchbox, and while using a controller average is just over 7. My cpu is core 2 duo E5200 with 4gb ram. These figures are lower than before they used be near or jus over 10.

Okay, doesn't seem to be OS-specific then. Significant CPU usage while minimized or not active is obviously the most concerning. On my machines it's always less than 1% when LaunchBox isn't active, but clearly that's not the case for everyone. I'll do some more digging, see if there's anything I can find.

It would be useful to know everyone's specific CPU model, for comparison. I can't believe that it would only be an issue with slow CPUs, but numbers are useless without knowing the CPU. Unfortunately there's so many generations of CPUs too that "4 core" or 3.6 GHz doesn't really mean much at all, so the more specific, the better.