LaunchBox Community Forums

Utopian features vault

CliveBarker

What is this thread? I created this just for fun as a way for users to drop their wishes and more crazy requests. This is not a suggestion thread, at least not a serious one. Feel free to drop anything even if it doesn't make much sense. My crazy wishes: Full Linux support Full media integration A separate version with a custom GUI made for handheld and mobile devices. AI implemented in LaunchBox with the potential to take over the world. A deep character and game maps sub-library, where you can add sprites of X game characters and add their Bios, browsing game region maps and such. Your move!

SentaiBrad said The Steam of Retro Gaming. Linux and Mac support would be awesome. Personally the thought of media integration doesn't sound appealing to me at all in LB, and I've held my tongue on that long enough. There are enough programs doing that well enough (Kodi and Plex).
I understand you, honestly when I speak about media integration I talk about native support for complete game soundtracks with the possibility to browse trough them, A game trailer/video gameplay sub-library where you can add multiple videos for each game, native comic/manga reading support and some other crazy stuff. My thoughts are more focused on gaming media but of course it is just a fantasy. I never used Kodi or Plex before, but I will check them!

Both are top notch I do prefer Plex though because they don't clutter up your video folders with metadata files which Kodi does I do support full media support just because the other guys don't have a gaming section on their front ends and i would love to see the comic, ebook feature that Plex doesn't support. Kodi does have comics but the reader is terrible with no way to configure any changes.

Soundtrack integration and Trailer integration does work in BB, but it would be nice for it to be widespread. Granted I think implementing the YouTube API and searching up videos based on specific tags would also work wonderful for those with smaller hard drives; though this would require decent internet and if you have bandwidth caps you'd want this turned off. :P My theory is though, how often would you realistically listen or watch stuff like this outside of LB? So an internet based solution makes more sense. If it is a soundtrack you already love you probably already have that with the rest of your music in your music player of choice. On the talk of cloud based solutions, I do think OCRemix music implementation (like YT) would be awesome too.

DOS76 said Both are top notch I do prefer Plex though because they don't clutter up your video folders with metadata files which Kodi does I do support full media support just because the other guys don't have a gaming section on their front ends and i would love to see the comic, ebook feature that Plex doesn't support. Kodi does have comics but the reader is terrible with no way to configure any changes.
Kodi doesn't put any metadata in my folders? It has its own metadata folder in my users folder. Edit: Oh, ComicRack and Calibre are awesome for comics, manga and ebooks respectively.

CliveBarker said Could the YouTube API data brings privacy issues? I don't want to sound paranoid tho. I mean, are you going to need to log in to your account in order to use the API inside LB? However, I do like what you suggest, that way I can also save storage space.
No, think of it like when you go to a webpage and see an embedded YouTube video. You don't even need to be logged in for YouTube to work, let alone play an embedded video. You can even have it autoplay and hide so only the audio is playing. You just have LB make the search for you, you click on a video based on titles sorted by relevance or something and it starts playing in the background. OCRemix would be the same way except there is no video, just the audio player.

Thanks for the clarification. It occurs to me that many times youtube video names are a mess, so what if we as a community open a Youtube channel to upload trailers and videos with proper naming. I know that sounds super crazy, I can't imagine someone uploading 1000 trailer videos. But maybe if everyone had access to the channel. Don't know if google lets you share your channel access though. Also, is probably for someone to call for copyrights infractions and mess with the channel, so not a really doable idea.

YouTube is really smart about how it handles those things. YouTube takes cues from Titles, descriptions, tags, even comments to drive relevance up. So say there are 200 videos of the Super Mario Bros theme (there are actually tons more than that) it will look at thumbs up and down, description, title and tags (if any tags) to then figure out relevance. How many views and how well its retained viewership will also factor in to it. The more obscure stuff might have a harder time, but generally when I type in something specific it can usually find it within the first 5 searches.

Google is VERY powerful when it comes to algorithms. They LOVE them. So much so that sometimes after updates, for brief periods, content creators (like myself) get annoyed or upset when they break how much we get paid or other things. The most major one was when videos started getting weighted very differently when it came to search results. Several years ago, though I wasn't mad at this, they made it to where videos with the most views weren't automatically the best in search results. Boobs on a thumbnail would attract people in and gain them tons of views but the video was crap. They changed it to be a multitude of factors like thumbs up, down, comments, retention and then views. Sorry...... I know A LOT about YouTube. Edit: Oh, in my last post I did also mean to say too that YouTube knows what images and audio you are playing. So if the SMB theme pops up and their system knows what it is, they may even know exactly how long the song is. The other by product of this is the DMCA / Copyright "features" in YouTube.