LaunchBox Community Forums

Real-Life Semi-Spooky Robots

CadetStimpy

Jason Carr said Lol, what's the point of that? Those scientists must've spent most of their time organizing their game collections. ;)
"...organizing their game collections"! Maybe I'm just in a silly mood, but I thought that was really funny. Laugh Good one, Jason!

bd000 said That's cool. Now how far away from teleportation do you think we are? ... Smile
Teleportation? Maybe a century. Between the unquestionable advances (at a sometimes mind-boggling rate) between cloning, 3D-printing, ultra-high-speed data transfers (we've already achieved speeds of 43 terabits/second with a single LASER) and any other applicable sciences, Teleportation, as with 'all of it', is just a matter of time, IMHO. Did I mention Worm Holes? Wink Some years back, Gordon Moore (co-founder of Intel Corp and Fairchild Semiconductor, and 'creator' of Moore's Law) expected that “the rate of technological progress is going to be controlled from financial realities.” So, as large economic forces, such as the U.S., collapse (if it does, but it doesn't seem so unlikely, these days), technological advances will, of course, slow way down. But, if Humankind lasts long enough (without economic disaster, etc.), "Beam me up, Scotty" is likely to become a reality, I believe. How many things that were once considered impossible, are we doing now? Crap loads, that's how many! Smile "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Google puts Boston Dynamics Up for Sale in Robotics Retreat! But, now there's Atlas. In the 2nd half of the video (2'4" in), a guy knocks Atlas over - it's interesting the way it gets back-up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY P.S. As you may know, Google bought Boston Dynamics back in December '13, but Toyota or Amazon could be interested in the purchase.