LaunchBox Community Forums

Real-Life Semi-Spooky Robots

CadetStimpy

There's plenty of evil robots in games, but there may be real ones, soon! (From an e-mail I sent out to my distribution list a while ago): I’ve sent out videos from Boston Dynamics in the past, and here’s a new entry, Spot. It won’t be long before these suckers are chasin’ down criminals. This one can throw cinder blocks at ya! This video is longer, a little over 11 minutes, but be sure to at least check-out the robot at the 6-minute mark. Cheetah, the running robot shows-up at about 8 minutes in. There’s a couple other cool ones, too. Sandflea (a smaller robot) can jump onto the roof of one-story buildings from the ground.

Eek. That is insane. But I want one. I'm not so afraid of robots becoming over-powerful or turning on us (actually, I think the concept of a robot that truly makes its own decisions is ridiculous). I'm more worried about humans being idiots and using them for terrible, terrible things.

Ah, but what about an AI using them for terrible terrible things?! Wink Kidding aside, humans will certainly use them for terrible, terrible things. We already have unmanned machines in warfare, destroying, spying, stealing and killing. That will never end. If it can be weaponized, it will be weaponized. Like you said, robots are not something to be afraid of, it is the people controlling them and what they are capable of. It works the same for everything else; guns, blades, nukes, biological weapons, vehicles, etc, etc. Consider the positive applications though. For example, that one that throws the cinder blocks would be a great asset in Nepal right now.

The only technology i dislike at the moment are the small drones the implications for them in the wrong hands are really frightening as they are readily available to buy, these items should be licensed how long will it be before terrorist cells start using them? There small very manouverable and can be used remotely. How long will it be before robots become the same?

I sometimes think my Roomba is trying to kill me. Tripped over it 3 times now. Either the battery is going or the wife wants me out of the picture. A friend of ours has a neighbour who's son has one of those little flying drones with a camera. We were in her garden a few months ago and It came flying up above the fence. He then started shouting hello to us and asked us to wave (he is only about 10). If a 10 year old can get his hands on one, anyone can. I fear one day I will find a naked video of myself on YouTube, because someone happened to fly one past my window after I got out of the shower! Surprised

bd000 said I sometimes think my Roomba is trying to kill me. Tripped over it 3 times now. Either the battery is going or the wife wants me out of the picture. A friend of ours has a neighbour who's son has one of those little flying drones with a camera. We were in her garden a few months ago and It came flying up above the fence. He then started shouting hello to us and asked us to wave (he is only about 10). If a 10 year old can get his hands on one, anyone can. I fear one day I will find a naked video of myself on YouTube, because someone happened to fly one past my window after I got out of the shower! Surprised
well if that happened no one would ever call you camera shy lmao Laugh

Cadet Stimpy said Click here, Hippyshake. Here's a video that show's many of their robots that were in that other clip, plus others, such as Big Dog. Seeing it regain its balance on ice at about 2 minutes in, is a lot better than I could do when I lived in New England and started slipping on ice. Laugh
I finally had a chance to watch these, and all I can say is...Good Lord. They say that truth is stranger than fiction; I say Skynet just got a whole lot more real...and scarier. Freaky, watching those legs stumble and try to correct themselves. And when that dude kicked it, I was waiting for it to come at him. :D Amazing. Thanks for sharing these.
bd000 said I fear one day I will find a naked video of myself on YouTube, because someone happened to fly one past my window after I got out of the shower! Surprised
My girlfriend wants to know where you live. *cough*

bd000 said Wow, when you see it slipping on the ice and the way it almost seems panicked, gives you a false sense that it is a living thing. Did anyone else get that?
Yeah, bd000, I definitely did. That sucker was scramblin' to regain its balance, for sure.

Early in this Thread, bd000 mentioned weaponry, etc. I can clearly picture one of those robots with a Gatling-Gun mounted on each side, chasing down criminals and annihilating them, 'if necessary'. Who needs Judge Dredd? Smile Did you see this story from a couple months back? Once those LASER weapons are small enough, they'll be mounted on the 'attack robots'. Bullets are becoming so passé. Smile Sometimes, the insight into future technologies (The Terminator, e.g.) that Sci-Fi writers and Hollywood folks have impresses me. A lot of 'em seem to have "seen it all coming".

Hippyshake said My girlfriend wants to know where you live. *cough*
OK, that's not creepy at all... *cough*
Cadet Stimpy said Early in this Thread, bd000 mentioned weaponry, etc. I can clearly picture one of those robots with a Gatling-Gun mounted on each side, chasing down criminals and annihilating them, 'if necessary'. Who needs Judge Dredd? Smile
Judge Droid
Cadet Stimpy said Did you see this story from a couple months back? Once those LASER weapons are small enough, they'll be mounted on the 'attack robots'. Bullets are becoming so passé. Smile
That's cool. Now how far away from teleportation do you think we are? ... Smile
DOS76 said That or the authors/screen writers imagination inspires real life technological innovation. I feel like my phone is pretty much a Star Trek communicator except I can't seem to get it to beam me up.
I was thinking the same thing.

bd000 said That's cool. Now how far away from teleportation do you think we are? ... Smile
I remember reading years ago that scientists were actually working on teleportation, and that they had managed to scatter atoms, but not the reassembly part. I always figured that was called an "explosion," but then, I'm not a physicist. Just for kicks, to see if there had been any development, I googled "real life teleporter." First I was excited, and then I felt mislead. Not even close.