LaunchBox Community Forums

Road Trip over Independence Pass (Colorado)

CadetStimpy

Oh, yah, Derek, it's a pretty state. I'm from Oregon, and it has it's scenic spots, too, as every state does. Regarding your comment about 'Legalization', I'm gonna start a new Monkey Topic about it. It's bizarre, compared to most other states, that you can legally purchase 'Reefer Madness' substances. Many entrepreneurs are taking advantage of this lucrative market. Wink To quote an 'Old School' Dow Chemical (now Dow Corning) advertising ditty, "Better Living through Chemistry". P.S. BTW, "Better Living Through Chemistry", has been one of my mottoes for many years. Smile

Wow, those are awesome photos Stimpy. I will say, I love California but Colorado competes pretty well. My brother's near Denver so I get to visit every once in a while. Sorry to everyone else, but I don't want to live in your states. I tried, and they suck. No lol, but really, I grew up in Illinois and I've lived in Ohio as well. That's just not a good idea. Don't live in Illinois or Ohio. You'll regret it. Trust me.

Thanks, Jason. I like to think I can take a good photo. If I bothered to learn all the stuff my camera can do, maybe I could. Laugh Illinois and Ohio? (Corn, Crime, and Tires) Bummer! Laugh I'll definitely take your advice and never live in either of those places. I've lived in different states, and from what I know, Alaska, California, Oregon (my home state), Hawaii, and Colorado have some great majestic terrain/scenery. Every state has its wonderful places, of course. I lived in New Hampshire for 2+ decades, and it had plenty of beautiful places. When I was much younger, I didn't reflect on natures' beauty as much as I do now. An oldster thing, I guess...

I hear you. I think I'm just spoiled with the weather out here. I got really tired of dealing with snow storms and just general bad weather. Just a huge difference between having good weather 90% of the year vs. typical midwest weather (either piping hot or freezing cold). You sure did see some beautiful places...

Yah. For me, the older I get, the more I want comfy weather. Smile I don't miss the New England snow much. It was usually moist/wet, and therefore quite heavy, as snow goes. I suspect that over the years, I shoveled literally tons of snow. Frown Here's some crappy weather: On the peak of Mt. Washington (New Hampshire), wind speeds have exceeded 230mph, and temps have been under -40F. Click here (don't forget to switch to HD, if necessary) for an interesting and well-done video about the Weather Station on the top of that mountain. P.S. If you can throw a cup of boiling water into the air, and it instantly turns to ice crystals, it's friggin' cold. Smile

Oh, and I rode some cool rides, too. Much to my dismay, cameras weren't allowed on any of the 'thrill rides' (GoPro's on a helmet probably woulda been fine Smile). I rode the Alpine Coaster all the way down without ever applying the brakes. I asked if it could be done, before I rode it, and they assured me each car was attached securely to the track, so there was no real danger in doing so (and it brakes to a stop at the end, automatically, of course). It felt as if I was pullin' a couple of G's in a few of the turns, though. Laugh The Giant Swing pictured below was awesome. When your in that position, as it swings out over the cliff it's sittin' on, the ground (and the Colorado River) is over 1/4 mile below you, so you're 'way up there' - with an incredible view (and a floating stomach)! Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park Giant-Canyon-Swing.jpg

I'm a Colorado native but I've never been to any of those spots. I'll have to fix that! I spent the long weekend in Utah and had a lovely time. Rattle snakes, barbecue, quicksand, ancient art, mosquito bites, shooting stars, backpacking, bear tracks, and much more. A great weekend! (Other than being stuck in traffic for 2 hours coming back into Denver on I-70. Yuck!)