LaunchBox Community Forums

Old-School Advertising

CadetStimpy

30's to 60's advertising is a treasure trove of awesome and "wow they would never get away with that now days". Too many people being overly sensitive and people being angry, not for them selves, but angry for perceived potential anger from someone else. Unless it's racist, it's all a gold mine and amazing. I think that is why I love Fallout so much, that setting is amazing.

Except in real life the drunken Schlitz drinker beat the shit out of that poor woman for burning his dinner. I hate all advertising past present and future. Not to say I don't find commercials occasionally funny or that I look away when the Victoria Secrets add is on. I just hate the constant commercial onslaught of people trying to separate me from my hardly earned. Thankfully the internet came along and now I can watch TV minus all the adds saving me time and annoyance. The best are the car commercials that talk about how much money you can save by going $30,000 plus in debt oh wait they don't mention that part just the savings. Edit: I was a little strong here I understand that advertising is an offset that keeps things going and without things like Television and a lot of print media couldn't survive without charging an exorbitant amount. Also in retrospect print ads aren't that bad because they are quiet and you can easily ignore them.

These old advertisements are worth preserving if only for their artistic content. When it came to things like cars, wireless, television etc they invariably showed well heeled folk enjoying the benefits. Game advertisements suggested an experience a PS4 developer would kill for. The funniest by far were those showing a woman using the product with the unspoken message that this is so simple even the wife can use it. Try selling that today. However, the bottom line has not changed - buy our product and your life will change for the better. Yeah right, unless your product happens to be a winning lottery ticket.

SentaiBrad said 30's to 60's advertising is a treasure trove of awesome and "wow they would never get away with that now days".
Here's an example (not likely seen today Laugh) of one popular technique you'll all recognize: The Testimonial/Endorsement (Advertising has 7 basic techniques, as I recall (don't remember most of 'em Smile)). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

DOS76 said The best are the car commercials that talk about how much money you can save by going $30,000 plus in debt oh wait they don't mention that part just the savings.
Don't forget, though, if you have an expensive sports car, you'll in-turn, have a super-model for a girlfriend. Laugh And, if you drink Bud, you and all your friends will be young, fit, and really good-looking. LaughLaugh

DOS76 said Also in retrospect print ads aren't that bad because they are quiet and you can easily ignore them.
You got that right! Remember that 'subliminal' stuff, such as naked women outlined in ice cubes in a glass of bourbon? Smile Here's some. Be sure to check-out the last one (#11). P.S. I don't fully agree with this particular list, but some of the picks weren't bad.