LaunchBox Community Forums

Microsoft HoloLens Development Edition (w/Fragments game)

CadetStimpy

Well, this isn't really a game, obviously, but it could help you create a game. Smile Microsoft HoloLens Development Edition ($3K) (This link reflects a Blog post by Kudo Tsunoda, Microsoft’s corporate VP responsible for the HoloLens). But this is a game! Check-out Microsoft HoloLens | Fragments This is an exciting time for Gamers! Let the games begin! Smile Hero-Hololens.jpg

I may be a jaded old man but I see this going no where considering the price point and that game looks like nothing more than a terrible point and click adventure game like those cheesy Sherlock Holmes games for the TurboGrafx 16 CD. Even if they had a more interesting looking game the $3000 price tag is just way too much to be of any interest to 99% of the people out there.

lordmonkus said I may be a jaded old man but I see this going no where considering the price point and that game looks like nothing more than a terrible point and click adventure game like those cheesy Sherlock Holmes games for the TurboGrafx 16 CD. Even if they had a more interesting looking game the $3000 price tag is just way too much to be of any interest to 99% of the people out there.
Bear-in-mind, that $3K is for the Development Kit, not the game. I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to 'develop' a game (that's Brad stuff), so this item would be of no interest to me, either, and I'd be very hard-pressed to pay that much for any game. But the fact this stuff is becoming more accessible to consumers (not just engineers in labs), is cool for Gamers, because I believe there's a lot of un-tapped talent out there, and hardware/software such as this will help that talent to emerge.

Oh don't get me wrong, there is most definitely some potential there for future games. I remember the Minecraft concept video that Microsoft showed off a while back and it looked cool. The price might be $3000 for developers but Microsoft have also said that it won't be cheap so don't expect to see it in the "reasonable for every day people" range soon, though 3 grand is definitely closer to that than say the 25-50 grand something like this may have cost a few years ago. All I am saying is that the price point needs to come down a lot still and they need to show off better game concepts than crappy point and click mystery games with cosmetic upgrades.

lordmonkus said All I am saying is that the price point needs to come down a lot still and they need to show off better game concepts than crappy point and click mystery games with cosmetic upgrades.
One factor may be that the average home Gamer might not have the horsepower to deal with high-resolution graphics in addition to all the other hardware intensive requirements this system would impose, so they 'tone it down' for the more typical User - I dunno... If everyone had stuff like this, things would be different Laugh: 4-way-SLI-EV3A.png However, as you essentially mentioned, lots of hardware dollars won't be an adequate substitute for a "lame game".

The hololens is going to be an all in one unit. It's not like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive which connects to your PC. This is why the price is going to be $3000, it has the processing power built right in. If this device is to succeed it needs to target the educational sector like colleges and universities, this thing would be an amazing educational tool. As for gaming if they wanna show off what this thing can do then they need to show it off for games like Minecraft, tabletop D&D and strategy games. Those types of games would be amazing with this thing. Either way, 3 grand is a no starter for the vast majority of consumers out there. Hell, even when the Oculus Rift announced at $600 a lot of people (including myself) who were ready to plop down $450 took a big step back and said "nope, not paying that much" for it, and I have the PC ready to run it.

lordmonkus said Either way, 3 grand is a no starter for the vast majority of consumers out there. Hell, even when the Oculus Rift announced at $600 a lot of people (including myself) who were ready to plop down $450 took a big step back and said "nope, not paying that much" for it, and I have the PC ready to run it.
I hear ya on that one, Monkus. You can buy a lot of other fun things for 3 Grand! That's an entire high-end PC build for me! P.S. What does "Lord Monkus" refer to, if you don't mind me asking.

What does LordMonkus refer to ? LOL I don't even remember exactly anymore. I just know it's something to do with monkeys because who doesn't love monkeys. It was probably some weird bastardized combination of Lord Vader, Darth Sidius and a monkey that me and a buddy came up after partaking in a few bowl hits. It was definitely something thought of several years ago and I really couldn't tell you the origins of it at all.