LaunchBox Community Forums

Fussion Issues

DOS76

I have Kega Fusion as my main SMS, Gens, 32X, SCD, SG-100, GG and Pico emulator on LaunchBox today I was messing with it and saw that it was rendering terrible so I opened Kega and changed some graphics settings and everything was working great then I test on a few different platforms and ran into an issue with launching Genesis Games it seems to be launching them to black screens with no sound the only reason I think it may have launched anything is the FPS monitor that show in the bottom left corner. If I close the Launchbox instance of Fusion and open it directly then it launches the games without any issue. Any clue what might be causing the issue. Edit: Sorry I posted this now I opened the game folders from inside Launchbox and noticed that the one directed to Launchbox is full of 7z folders where the ones I opened from Fusion are on my Windows Home Server and they are in .zip files when I tried to launch from the .7z files in fusion it didn't recognize any of them as something to lauch. Is there anyway to put the working files in the folder remove the non-working one and not have to change any of my metadata.

DOS76 said I have Kega Fussion as my main SMS, Gens, 32X, SCD, SG-100, GG and Pico emulator on LaunchBox today I was messing with it and saw that it was rendering terrible so I opened Kega and changed some graphics settings and everything was working great then I test on a few different platforms and ran into an issue with launching Genesis Games it seems to be launching them to black screens with no sound the only reason I think it may have launched anything is the FPS monitor that show in the bottom left corner. If I close the Launchbox instance of Fusion and open it directly then it launches the games without any issue. Any clue what might be causing the issue.
Kega requires some command line parameters to function correctly. These settings should have automatically filled in when you set the emulator up, but if they didn't then set them to this image. http://i.imgur.com/YcBtxtq.png

Brad those settings are all there it is just that Fusion doesn't recognize .7z files which is what I linked to it I am totally worried that I will have to set up the whole platform again which will be bad since I already put a lot of time in on it. On top of that when I extracted all of the 7z's I got all kinds of roms betas, bad dumps multiple regions so now I am working in explorer to get it all sorted. If I delete the platform will it remove image files from the local DB or will they still be there and associated with the game names.

DOS76 said Brad those settings are all there it is just that Fusion doesn't recognize .7z files which is what I linked to it I am totally worried that I will have to set up the whole platform again which will be bad since I already put a lot of time in on it. On top of that when I extracted all of the 7z's I got all kinds of roms betas, bad dumps multiple regions so now I am working in explorer to get it all sorted. If I delete the platform will it remove image files from the local DB or will they still be there and associated with the game names.
That is why I stay away from Full Sets. They're more annoying than helpful. If you can find a "Good Set" or a "No Intro" set they're sets that are just what they say. No 20 different versions of a game. When I did get two Full Sets what I did was just use explorer to get rid of the extra's... but it took a while. There is no way around it. I searched for "b1" "b2" "b3" "b4" etc. I searched for all the variants and deleted them in the search window. It was great to easily get a lot of the games I would manually apply translation patches to, but that is a small bonus that does not out weigh the extra work. Also note that some European games names can differ from the N. America versions. Like Contra in N. America and Japan but Cybernator in Europe. Even after I did the broad searches, I was still deleting duplicates for a long time.

Wait there are translation patches for some games so you can take Japanese only games and patch them to use English that is pretty cool. I'm interested in learning more about this. I assume that most European games unless they have a specific country code have an English language option.

DOS76 said Wait there are translation patches for some games so you can take Japanese only games and patch them to use English that is pretty cool. I'm interested in learning more about this. I assume that most European games unless they have a specific country code have an English language option.
Yea, most Europe games if they are exclusive you can still play. And yes, English Patches exist for a ton of games as well as other languages. http://www.romhacking.net is one of my favorite places to get English Patches for games. If a rom says (T+En) or something similar to that, it will most likely mean its translated. I love jRPG's and have a ton of them fan translated. There are tons of patches out there that are not on the RH site either. A lot of translation groups have their own websites and some rom forums have links to translation pages or some of the groups home pages. Aeon Genesis is a good translator group.

Nice! I have seen that for a lot of games and now that you mention it I did know T stood for translation but never put it together that the next part was the language that it is translated into. Thanks for the info I will have to look into it a little more.

When I source rom images for N64, SNes, Genesis etc games the zipped image will either have 1 version of the ROM, usually the good verified one indicated by the [!] in the rom name, or it might have a load of different versions - different regions, trainers, and so on. I only need 1 of these and I remove all the unwanted ones. I keep my N64 roms zipped, but extract my SNes and Sega Genesis ones. Where possible I use the verified version. If I also want other versions, such as a trained or other region version, I add them as Additional Apps labelled Play USA version, Play cheats version etc. Here is some information on ROM codes.
Spoiler
STANDARD CODES [a?] Alternate [b?] Bad Dump [f?] Fixed [h?] Hack [o?] Overdump [p?] Pirate [t?] Trained [T-] OldTranslation [T+] NewerTranslation [!p] Pending Dump [!] Verified Good Dump (-) Unknown Year (M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages) (###) Checksum (??k) ROM Size (Unl) Unlicensed SPECIAL CODES Gameboy [C] Color [S] Super [BF] Bung Fix SNes (BS) BS ROMs (ST) Sufami Turbo (NP) Nintendo Power Atari (PAL) Euro version Genesis (1) Japan (4) USA (5) NTSC Only [R-] Countries (8) PAL Only (B) non USA [c] Checksum [x] Bad Checksum GBA [hI??] Intro hacks [f_?] EEPROMV124 fix Coleco (Adam) ADAM version NES/FC (PC10) PlayChoice 10 (VS) Versus [hFFE] FFE Copier fmt NeoGeo Pocket [M] Mono Only COUNTRY CODES (1) Japan & Korea (4) USA & BrazilNTSC (A) Australia (B) non USA (Genesis) (C) China (D) Dutch (E) Europe (F) France (FC) French Canadian (FN) Finland (G) Germany (GR) Greece (HK) Hong Kong (I) Italy (J) Japan (K) Korea (NL) Netherlands (S) Spain (Sw) Sweden (U) USA (UK) England (Unk) Unknown Country (PD) Public Domain (Unl) Unlicensed STANDARD CODE NOTES [a] This is simply an alternate version of a ROM. Many games have been re-released to fix bugs or even to eliminate Game Genie codes. [b] A bad dump often occurs with an older game or a faulty dumper (bad connection). Another common source of [b] ROMs is a corrupted upload to a release FTP. [f] A fixed game has been altered in some way so that it will run better on a copier or emulator. [h] Something in this ROM is not quite as it should be. Often a hacked ROM simply has a changed header or has been enabled to run in different regions. Other times it could be a release group intro, or just some kind of cheating or funny hack. [o] An overdumped ROM image has more data than is actually in the cart. The extra information means nothing and is removed from the true image. [t] A trainer has special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu. [!] Verified good dump. The recommended version of the ROM to use. SPECIAL CODE NOTES SNES (BS) These Japanese ROMs were distributed through a satellite system in Japan known as the Broadcast Satellaview. They were transmitted along with a TV show which was connected to the game in some way. These games were only playable during the show, and thus stop after an hour, and many were timed so that only certain time periods were playable. (ST) The Sufami Turbo device allowed two GameBoy sized carts to be plugged into the SNES. Certain carts combined into new games much like the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on technology by Sega. (NP) Nintendo Power has been known to release games only available to its subscribers. Most of these ROMs are Japanese, as this practice occured mainly in Japan. Genesis (1) Carts with this code will run on both Japanese and Korean machines. (4) While this code is technically the same as a (U) code, it is a newer header format and represents that the cart will run on USA and Brazil NTSC machines. (B) This country code indicates that the cart will run on any non US machine. [c] This code represents a cart with known faulty checksum routines. GameBoy [BF] Bung released a programmable cartridge compatable with the GameBoy which could hold any data you wished to play. However, many games do not function on Bung v1.0 carts and have to be 'fixed.' Nintendo PC10 The PlayChoice 10 was an arcade unit which played exact copies of NES games in an arcade cabinet. The machines had a choice of 10 games to choose from and ran for about 3 minutes on 25 cents. VS The Versus system ran on similar hardware to the PC10 machines, but simply allowed you to play against each other.

Yea, that info is kept with those Rom packs in a txt document. I also think the packs are more annoying than helpful. That is why No-Intro sets or Good Sets are... good. They're just good working roms. The only benefit to the Full Rom sets are the translated games for me. Downloading the pack and picking all of the games out when I needed to redownload all the roms to a console was a benefit. However, having to sort through most of the extra stuff can take hours when you don't want it. Also, I would imagine some zipped roms will give lower performance. I'm looking at N64 and DS specifically. I generally don't find it worth it to zip them all up. The size difference isn't enough to warrant the extra layer.