LaunchBox Community Forums

Does anyone use Magic-Engine FX

DOS76

I started looking into using Magic Engine and got it up and running with a version that included the .key file. I've scoured the internet but can not for the life of me find a version of Magic Engine FX that isn't the demo. I know this may make me an a$$hole but I wouldn't consider paying for an emulator not because I'm unwilling to pay for this software which I know many many hours are spent creating these awesome programs but because it is basically against everything that the emulation community is about which is people sharing their love of old games with the world. Anyway I was wondering if any one owned it and knows how it is. I know there are 62 games all Japanese so that makes even harder to consider shelling out 20 bucks for games I may never play let alone ones I may not be able to understand well enough to play due to language barriers. I was hoping changing the name of the PCE.KEY file to PCFX file would do the trick but that was a no go.

Trying to use Mednafen but having issues I add the BIOS path this is what is listed in the config file ;Path to the ROM BIOS pcfx.bios pcfx.rom From what I gather I am supposed to add the Path to the BIOS which is E:\Emulators\Mednafen\Firmware\pcfx.bios (I created a pcfx.rom as I am unclear as to what to use) After I drag the .cue file over to mednafen.exe however it open with the game name and a black screen if I close that and open the config file again the path I added and saved is gone and the file is back to its original does anyone know what the proper path is I am confused by both pcfx.bios and pcfx.rom being in the same line and I am unsure as what would be the proper syntax also don't know why the config file is editing itself.

Load which ever config you are going to use in RetroArch, if its the default one its fine. On the first tab of RA you'll see Load Cofig , Save Current config, Save New Config. Keep note of these. Go to tab two and go all the way down to Directory. The first line should be System/BIOS. Change this line to the location where you want ALL of your systems BIOS to be located and where you are comfortable with emulators making saves if you are using a specific save engine. My full path is F:\Emulator\RetroArch\2015-11-26_RetroArch\system and it is full of BIOS and save files. Once you have changed your path in RA and the System/BIOS Dir line shows the full path, go back to the first Main Menu tab. go down to Save Current Config. This should save the path settings to your RA Config. In the folder you chose for BIOS you should have a 1mb even file called "pcfx.bios". These are my settings, that is my BIOS file and I can load PCFX games up. Just to be certain as well, you do have your cue sheets and bin / iso files in the same folder, correct? The cue sheet needs to be the same exact name as the image file. You also need to edit the cue sheet to make sure the proper name of the image is also in the cue sheet. There is a location for it to go, and as long as they're in the same folder it just needs to be the name not a file path.

• 1 year later...

I can't get it working.....cue and bins are correct, BIOS is named correctly, I know it sees it because I have it finally launching retroarch, but to a BLACK SCREEN....before I had correct bios/named it wouldn't open at all....can't get beyond this black screen...ideas?

Thanks.

I haven't done PC-FX yet, but I have done a Part 1 and Part 2 to PC Engine stuff. So check out the playlist link below, I use RA for a lot of stuff (Part 2 for PC Engine stuff specifically), so it may help you out. For PC-FX, if you're having any issues getting it to load and the command line you set is right, then chances are the game or the BIOS are wrong. According to the PC-FX info file:

firmware_count = 1

firmware0_desc = "pcfx.bios (PC-FX BIOS)"

firmware0_path = "pcfx.bios"

firmware0_opt = "false"

notes = "Suggested md5sums:|1c8996258dfe6c1a07df305f0a3e5758 = pcfx.bios"

And if a core requires a BIOS file, all that info is in the respective info files. There is also a tutorial on how to read info files if you're curious, and I explain what info files mean more thoroughly.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB