LaunchBox Community Forums

I wish me a Merry Christmas

DOS76

Started a new build today I'm waiting on the case still so won't be able to finish until Friday. The photo show a GTX 960 box but I decided to leave it in my other desktop and add my 750TI instead. Intel Core i5 6500 16GB Fury HyperX DDR4 RAM Asus Z170I 600W PSU 480GB San Disk Ultra II EVGA 750 TI
Spoiler
NewBuild12-10-2015.jpg
Spoiler
BuildBoard1.jpg

It's a cool master elite 130. I already built a PC in one before. I'm replacing the HTPC in my living room (which happens to be the before mentioned build) and using that to replace my Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server which conked out on me about a month ago. I would like to figure out what is wrong with the server since it has an i7 even though it is a 1st gen one it is still a decent computer even 5 years after I purchased it but honestly I have more computer than I know what to do with.

Nice. These days, ever since the Haswell CPUs came out and eliminated the heat issues, the HTPC mini-builds are the way to go. Mine is silent, and no one even knows it's there behind my monitor. It also packs a wicked punch. I love it. I used to have more than I knew what to do with too, then I had three kids. Now I need more. ;) To be fair, we don't need more anything. A computer in the kitchen, a computer behind the TV, a computer in the game cabinet, a computer in the bedroom, a computer in the living room, a computer...we're all gonna die from radiation.

Build is all finished and yeah it works right from the start no troubleshooting necessary. My first build was a nightmare wouldn't boot spent hours troubleshooting it, even bought a second power supply turns out the board was bad from the door once I got my new board it was done in like 20 minutes.
Spoiler
IMAG00066.jpg
Spoiler
IMAG00067.jpg

I actually only booted it up so far its in the living room and I won't be able to play with it until later tonight. I'm a loser who lives with his parent (actually they are my room mates because I do pay bills around here) so I can't just take over their space that's my brothers job. Once my pop goes to bed though I will be testing it out.

Good running like a dream with the lowest core temps I've ever seen. It was nice because I just swapped drives from another computer so no hassle installing Windows I had to install Dolphin and PCSX2 since the drive came from a box with a Pentium G630 and no graphics card so I didn't bother to install them on the previous PC. I love being able to just swap drives between machines it is a really nice feature that came with Windows 8 that no one ever seems to credits. Also got my other box up and running with my Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials drive with very little hassle. For some reason the NIC isn't working but I added a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter and everything is working good there too. Upgraded the drivers but the NIC still isn't working don't know what the problem is I added both chipset for the board and LAN but still no luck guess I'm stuck with the adapter until I figure it out. I'm going to install Arkham Knight on there tonight and see how it looks I have it running on my i7 with GeForce GTX 960 and it looks amazing! Play that and then launch an Atari game and be totally blown away by how far this thing called gaming has progressed in my lifetime

DOS76 said I'm going to install Arkham Knight on there tonight and see how it looks I have it running on my i7 with GeForce GTX 960 and it looks amazing! Play that and then launch an Atari game and be totally blown away by how far this thing called gaming has progressed in my lifetime
Sounds as if you're gonna have a fun evening, DOS! The 'Flash-Back' to Old School graphics should be an eye-opening reminder of technological advancements. Smile

I prefer Asus to everything else be it boards, laptops, tablets and desktops (although now with 3 builds under my belt I doubt I will ever buy another desktop). My love of Asus products doesn't come from actually having bad experiences with other brands but just the good experience of the first Asus computer I bought. My brother and I went to Best Buy and told the sales guy we wanted the best computer they had I had never even heard of Asus before that but have been a loyal customer ever since despite their terrible technical support. I've only owned 1 AMD computer and I don't have anything against it I just prefer having Intel

Helped my pop look for a circuit today by holding some test device to a wire while he throw switches on the breaker forgot to shut down my server and now I have a 3TB Raw disk I'm stuck trying to recover so one minute riding high with my new build next crashed to the ground with a disk problem. The data should be duplicated thanks to StableBit DrivePool so in theory I should be able to reformat it and that would be it but I always like to recover it anyway trying a new tool called TestDisk supposedly it will rewrite the partition info quickly I hope usually use EaseUs Data Recovery Wizard but it takes forever.