LaunchBox Community Forums

Multidisc Games in the PicoDrive core for Sega CD 32X games

DOS76

I have an SD card with the basic building blocks of a LaunchBox install that contains all the 8 and 16 bit roms, N64 and the Sega Model emulators. I copied it today on to my AIO touchscreen desktop and after the transfer completed I tested it to make sure every platform was working then when I got to the Sega CD section I wondered if the GensGSPlus core would launch Sega CD 32X games and I doubted that it could since it doesn't emulate 32X. It doesn't! So I thought does PicoDrive work with these games but when I realized they were in my Sega CD platform using the GGSP core that I would have to completely change my core in order to play them so instead I started a new platform and moved the 5 games over to it. I can get almost all of the games to work except Fahrenheit it asks you to press start and insert disc 2 which brings me here. Is there a way to switch disks from the Picodrive core in RetroArch? I saw on the internet about using m3u files for multidisc PS1 games and I followed the instructions but Picodrive crashes when you try to load an m3u from LB and won't see the file from inside of RA. So is there another means to do this. Fahrenheit gives me the same issue in Kega also and on Gens Plus seems to be capable of running the game. I'll probably never play it but I'm a glutton for punishment so I want to try to get it working.

That option doesn't exist in the Gens core which I am using for Sega CD so that may have to get changed to Picodrive also. That is one of the only downsides of RA that I have found you can't use two different cores in the same platform at the same time. I could always make a 2nd copy of RA though and add it to LB as Retroarch1 add only the specific core that I need and use it only for CD games with 2 disks.

Cool, glad it worked out for you. Maybe you can use the custom command line option in Launchbox for the couple of games that you need this functionality. Just out of curiosity which Sega CD games are multi disk ? My Sega CD collection is kind of small at only 21 games since I don't really like many games on that system. 21 is being extra generous with my standards too lol.

I have over 144 games. I know Night Trap, Scotty Pippen Slam City, Supreme Warrior, Dracula Unleashed and a some others have multiple disks. I tried that custom command option but then you are just feeding to opposing commands because it is getting the custom for one core and another for the other core so no game launches. I know that it does work for custom configs I use it to run vertical Lynx and Wonder Swan games in wide screen on one PC and to launch the vertical games on my vertical monitor on another. The two versions of the emulator is the best solution I can come up with.

Ahh, fair enough. I haven't run into the issue you are trying to work around so I have no direct experience with trying to work around it myself. To me the real question at that point is are the Sega CD games worth the extra effort and for me the answer is pretty simple, nope. But that's just me, having owned a Sega CD it's just not that good outside a small handful of decent games. I don't mind putting in the extra effort if the pay off is worth it, like with the SNES MSU-1 games

• 2 years later...