LaunchBox Community Forums

Artwork Scrappers and video gameplay clips

Syriacn

I have been using EmuMovies Download Service Utility version 2.2 for any missing artwork after a gamedb scan, EmuMovies will usually have it. Its free unless you want the video gameplay clips (and even those are free but you'll need to pay for higher quality) but Ill get to that. Lately I have been noticing that the artwork pulled from EmuMovies is a much better quality than that pulled from thegamedb, the contrast is better, the picture are more detailed and clearer, and overall high quality. So I have been going back through and replacing existing artwork with that pulled from EmuMovies. This leads me to a few questions. 1) Can launchbox pull from the same place? Can the use EmuMovies to pull from? 2) Can Launchbox incorporate video gameplay clips. I use to use Rom Collection Browser with my Kodi (xbmc) setup, and with that you could enable video gameplay clips. I switch to Launchbox for a million better reasons, but it would be nice to have this. Thanks Syriacn

Syriacn said I have been using EmuMovies Download Service Utility version 2.2 for any missing artwork after a gamedb scan, EmuMovies will usually have it. Its free unless you want the video gameplay clips (and even those are free but you'll need to pay for higher quality) but Ill get to that. Lately I have been noticing that the artwork pulled from EmuMovies is a much better quality than that pulled from thegamedb, the contrast is better, the picture are more detailed and clearer, and overall high quality. So I have been going back through and replacing existing artwork with that pulled from EmuMovies. This leads me to a few questions. 1) Can launchbox pull from the same place? Can the use EmuMovies to pull from? 2) Can Launchbox incorporate video gameplay clips. I use to use Rom Collection Browser with my Kodi (xbmc) setup, and with that you could enable video gameplay clips. I switch to Launchbox for a million better reasons, but it would be nice to have this. Thanks Syriacn
So the short answer is, its not promising outright. I 'believe' it is a similar deal with GameFAQ's. I wish we had GameFAQ's support, and I put Jason on the right path to being able to implement it. Then I found horror stories of a front end or some application that did pull from their servers en mass, and it was tragic. Some users got total IP Bans from their site. So even if a site doesn't have a license that outwardly forbids it, we're still at their mercy because if they don't want us contacting their servers in a way they do not like, they can and will ban traffic coming from that source. Now, that said, at the bottom of the site: "We partner with most front end designers with artwork content and integration solutions." So that is not to say we can't or wont, but Jason and I have been thinking of ways to incorporate our own Database; but I know Jason, everyone here knows Jason. He will not do it half ass, it will be fully feature rich and right for our community. So its just finding the time in the midst of all the other big projects announced and unannounced that he is doing by himself that holds this specific area's progress back. As far as Movies, I've shot him the idea of integrating a cloud solution to Music and Movies. Use OverClocked Remix and YouTube as a cloud plugin more or less that just serves you with native Internet Explorer calls built in to Windows what ever It can find assuming its accurate enough. On OCR I don't think we'd have that problem but YouTube we might due to the vast size of that website. This is one approach, but not the only approach. YouTube could have an interesting integration though depending on the keywords you feed it. For example, Name of Game, Platform then plug in anything else. Walkthrough, Achievement Guide, Lets Play, Trailer. It all depends on if the video has the proper tags associated with it. Something I deal with all the time. :P

Thanks @Syriacn. I do have videos like that on my to do list. It may more likely end up in Big Box Mode before the desktop app, but it is planned. Per EmuMovies, that's another thing I have on my to do list, but I'm not sure the priority at this point, nor do I really know about the feasibility of it (whether EmuMovies would be willing or not, for one thing).

Jason Carr said Thanks @Syriacn. I do have videos like that on my to do list. It may more likely end up in Big Box Mode before the desktop app, but it is planned. Per EmuMovies, that's another thing I have on my to do list, but I'm not sure the priority at this point, nor do I really know about the feasibility of it (whether EmuMovies would be willing or not, for one thing).
They might be assuming we reach out to them.

• 3 months later...
I would also love to see some kind of EmuMovies integration. I am a Lifetime Member and couldn't be happier with the service. Would it be possible to add a login for EmuMovies in LaunchBox? I am currently converting from HyperSpin to LaunchBox (Premium). I have just wasted too many years trying to keep HyperSpin updated/organized. LaunchBox certainly seems much more streamlined/automated. Kudos Jason! Really, one of the few exceptions is the media scraping. I have been downloading all of the assets from EmuMovies and manually putting them in there respective platforms/folders. I certainly would like to see this process improved in future updates. Keep up the good work!