LaunchBox Community Forums

LB now always using 5%

d3vilsadvocate

d3vilsadvocate said Ever since the update yesterday (and maybe before that already, I'm not sure) LN is consistently using 5% of my CPU while doing nothing. Also, scrolling through the library now feels laggier than before (although it's not THAT bad). Any idea what caused this?
Library size and/or the location of your Metadata. If its on an external USB2 HDD with a large library, it can also lag. It might not help, but also try clearing your cache images of unused assets as well.

d3vilsadvocate said Thanks, but it is all on SSDs here...
Well the HDD its located on is on piece of the puzzle. It is primarily inherent to the size of your library though. Back in early version 3 it tend to be a lot worse. I am more curious however. I have a 10k+ library and I hover around 0% - 2% when sitting at the top of my Library. When it booted up, it pinged up to 15% and its not using more than 512mb of ram, which I set; but I can only make it ping to 2.5% when scrolling a lot. Do you get any other performance degrades? When LaunchBox has been alt-tabbed for sometime and you come back to it, does LaunchBox frequently halt and want to crash?

I did a quick 10 minute test and found LaunchBox to use between 0.4% and 1.8% when idle. Not much, but still more than any other apps I have open. The odd thing is I have never seen it below 0.4% so there may be something to this. Also, I have not noticed any difference in lag compared to the previous version.

When LaunchBox is focused, it does do quite a bit in the background. There's definitely more that could be done to improve this. However, when LaunchBox isn't focused, much of that processing should be subdued (so CPU usage when not focused should be less than when focused). Also, very rarely I've seen an issue (really it's more of a Windows glitch but somehow I need a workaround to fix it), where LaunchBox constantly repaints itself. I've only seen it happen a handful of times, so it's really hard to pinpoint. But I suspect that that may be the culprit here (of the 5% CPU usage). Let me know if it stays that way or if it goes away after a reboot.

Thanks for the input. I'm using LB with about 200 games and everything is installed on SSD. It's got nothing to do with the newest version as I've plugged in my backup HDD and tried it with version 4.8 Same result. It uses around 3.5-5.5% of CPU on a 3570k @ 4.2Ghz (dunno if the percentage is relative to the max clock...) at all times, even when minimized. The only other thing I get is about 2-3 hickups when I scroll through my whole library. It does not make a difference whether I attribute 500MB or 4GB or RAM to LB. LB never crashes, though, and I only get a 0.25sec or so delay when alt-tabbing, so that is fine too. I will try a clean install now and report back later.

I tried with a clean install with and without the original library data added and got the same result. LB uses 5% CPU on average. It's a bit of a bummer because it keeps my idle CPU clock at around 2.5Ghz at all times instead of an avg of about 1.7Ghz when LB isn't running. Let me know if I can help you out with this.

I just did some testing. I'm seeing around 0.3% activity when not focused. When focused, it fluctuates, but does go up to between 1 and 2 percent. This is what I would expect when everything is working properly. What I would suggest trying first is turning features on and off one at a time to see if they affect the CPU usage. Both game controller options and side bar counts are known to affect performance, especially, so try turning off game controllers and side bar counts. Also try hiding the side bars. Let me know if any of that affects the CPU usage, and then we can focus on that if needed. If not, it's gonna be harder to troubleshoot. Thanks, advocate.

d3vilsadvocate said For some inexplicable reason the idle CPU usage is now at 10% and dropdown menus and such now lag significantly! However, I just switched off the game controller option as you suggested and app is now blazing fast again with the CPU usage <1%. Thanks for your help!
This is what plagued me. I figured it out of pure frustration. X_X

Jason Carr said Ah, no kidding. Well, I can't say that *should* be happening, but at least we've found the culprit. Did you have "Use Any Controller" enabled?
Do you mean Use All Attached Controllers? If so, nope. Also, I do not currently have any controllers connected. Will try again later to see if it actually makes any difference and report back.

d3vilsadvocate said
Jason Carr said Ah, no kidding. Well, I can't say that *should* be happening, but at least we've found the culprit. Did you have "Use Any Controller" enabled?
Do you mean Use All Attached Controllers? If so, nope. Also, I do not currently have any controllers connected. Will try again later to see if it actually makes any difference and report back.
The controllers being connected as far as I could tell doesn't matter. That option being turned on is what does it. It is more pronounced with a library of my size. I would leave LaunchBox alone for 5 min, come back and it would completely lag out and stop responding. I could make the lag start and stop by just checking and unchecking the use controlers option.