LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Initializing but not launching.

Shades2585

I decided to try MAME for the first time. I have the Full pack 161-162. I imported files using Arcade and MAME. (Installed MAME) The games emulator path points to the Mame64.exe. When I launch a game “Initializing” pups up then goes away and nothing else happens. When I use retroarch and install MAME there. I use this path. Arcade -L "cores\mame_libretro.dll" And it Launches and closes. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for all your help and hard work.

Okay well if the box was checked that's at least one step of troubleshooting down. Now you didn't unzip the archives yourself by any chance did you. Does MAME know where to look for the games ie did you move them to LB games folder without editing your MAME.ini if so MAME will be looking for the ROMs in a different location.

Thanks, No the Extract rom wasn't checked, Yes I did have LB move the programs into a Arcade folder in the Games folder. Yes, Mame and Retroarch both point to their correct exe files. No, I have not edited any ini files, that wasn't mentioned in the tutorial. Looking in the Mame directory I installed there is no Mame.ini, there are several other ini files. Ok, I ran mame64.exe and set my rom directory. I now have a mame.ini file. I don't see how to point to the bios. I have placed them in a sub directory of Arcade. Is there someplace else I should place them? Thanks for all your help. I'm one step closer to running. What is my next step? Sincerely, Shades PS. All the rest of my mame file updates 165-175 do I just drop them into my Arcade folder overwriting any duplicates?

no not if they are the update packs you are supposed to add them using ClearMAMEPro which will add the files in the correct places Critical Cid has a lengthy tutorial that he did about it here on the forums it will be very helpful. I know in MAMEUI you can set multiple paths so I'm not sure which version of MAME you are using but I believe that is possible in MAME also.

I'm using the current Mame0175b. That Tutorial sounds very useful @dos76 can you point me to it, please? Edit: I believe I found it. https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/how-to-update-your-mame-romset-to-a-newer-version-with-clrmamepro#p20300 I'll update this thread when I have time to to through it.

If you are just using the default rom folder withing the Mame installation folder you do not have to set anything. But if you are keeping your roms in a different location you need to set this folder within Mame. If you are using MameUI you can set the folder or multiple folders using the drop down menus at the top. If you are using the command line version of Mame (like I am) then open your mame.ini and look for the line rompath near the top and just to the right of that you will want to type the full path to the location of your roms enclosed in quotation marks. For example mine looks like this: rompath "E:\Downloaded Games\Emulation\Roms\Mame Full" You do not need to point to any bios files, the bios files for arcade games just go in the same folder with all your game roms.