LaunchBox Community Forums

Famicom Disk System games

FistyDollars

So I've got a submission in the mod queue to add a game to the Famicom Disk System, but there's currently an entry for it under NES. I know we're not counting Famicom and NES as different, as per the Guidelines, but what's the consensus on Famicom Disk System? I mean, they're basically NES games on a floppy with slightly different sound hardware. What I'm asking is, should I approve adding this to Famicom Disk System, or can there be an option to submit a change of platform? I imagine there are quite a few FDS games categorized under NES right now.

Famicom Disk System is a completely seperate console and should be treated as such. The NES and Famicom are largely the same console hence the need for Alternate names with consoles, games and alternate dates. If it's the same console under a different name the consoles need to be merged when alternates come about.

Okay, I get that. What I'm also saying is that since a lot of Famicom Disk System games are currently listed as NES games, rather than have to re-add games for the Famicom Disk System and separately flag the NES entries for deletion, will there be an option to submit a change of platform for a game? The same issue has been popping up for DOS games that are still listed under Windows, because it used to be PC (which counted both as the same platform), so it seems like it would be a big time-saver.

Yea potentially, but a lot of games that came out on the Famicom Disk System also came out on NES. Legend of Zelda and Metroid were first on the FDS. It being in two places at once doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, just potentially a metadata change. In the case of a game that was only on the FDS that is in the NES section, then yea that feature makes sense. You can make a Database BitBucket ticket for it if you want.